F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ECU Explorer Review (Modifying VMax and other locked DME parameters) [In Progress]
ARMA SPEED

07-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #67
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
What a the time lock?
The time lock I was referring to earlier in this post was the DME hour counter that starts when the car is first powered on, usually in Germany.
For the first 10 hours of the DME being powered on there are several functions in the DME ECU that can be altered via ESys, this includes, the VIN, the ISN(password for creating keys), the mileage, the engine variant (change 335i output to a 640i output same engine different maps), catalytic converter monitoring, and finally VMax (max speed).
The timer begins as soon as the car is turned on and once it elapses 10 hours, usually long before an end user takes control of their car (Euro Delivery excluded), none of these values can be easily changed in ESys by just changing the FDL coding for the functions. The timer can only be reset using specialized tools, ECU Explorer is one example of one of these tools.
Nice explanation. FWIW as long as a car hasn't been sitting long on a dealer's lot and driven a bunch or had the ignition left on a US customer should still have time to modify some of these parameters. Was able to modify Vmax and get it to stick on my 340i. No idea if it actually is removed though as I don't have a road like the autobahn to try it on.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #68
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
What a the time lock?
The time lock I was referring to earlier in this post was the DME hour counter that starts when the car is first powered on, usually in Germany.
For the first 10 hours of the DME being powered on there are several functions in the DME ECU that can be altered via ESys, this includes, the VIN, the ISN(password for creating keys), the mileage, the engine variant (change 335i output to a 640i output same engine different maps), catalytic converter monitoring, and finally VMax (max speed).
The timer begins as soon as the car is turned on and once it elapses 10 hours, usually long before an end user takes control of their car (Euro Delivery excluded), none of these values can be easily changed in ESys by just changing the FDL coding for the functions. The timer can only be reset using specialized tools, ECU Explorer is one example of one of these tools.
Nice explanation. FWIW as long as a car hasn't been sitting long on a dealer's lot and driven a bunch or had the ignition left on a US customer should still have time to modify some of these parameters. Was able to modify Vmax and get it to stick on my 340i. No idea if it actually is removed though as I don't have a road like the autobahn to try it on.
AFAIK the counter starts with the first ignition cycle and continues so long as the battery is still connected. I know many people who've tried with brand new cars with like 9 miles or less on them and not been able to effectively change these values.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #69
__mkw
Private
Poland
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Also here is a screen shot of the default locked DME function Values decrypted via ESys that we are attempting to change.
Specifically MIL_codierung (CEL suppression), KAT (catalytic converter efficiency monitor), VMax (electronically limited top speed), and mostly for EU users, Vartianten_config (which is necessary to bring limited output engines up to their full output capacity) and also Laendercodierung (Region/Country Selection).
Where to look for those equivalent parameters in CAS ?
In my car I have error:
1F2108 DME, incorrect data record: Variant monitoring

Is it possible to code the CAS with variant compatible with information in DME.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:27 AM   #70
jumper
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d EfficientDynamics

I also have the problem with the variant monitoring. The donor controller has already got the VIN, ISN and programming with Esys. Now it fails because of the coding because the operating hours are exceeded. I wanted to connect to ECU Explorer, but each time without success. Have there still K-TAG but that does not build up any connection, I'm really nothing more about how I should continue. With BMW Explorer I can build a direct connection to the table but that is not suitable for hours reset.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #71
jumper
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d EfficientDynamics

Problem solved, the donor DME was broken.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #72
hieuvietmy
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 f80

need help n55 dme

hello
need help working on the dmw n55 and had plug in the wrong connector
because both they look the same, and now the car crank over but won't run
when the connector are in wrong i did flash map on bm3 and is till show finishing flash.
and i find out the wrong connector so fix it but car won't run
please any one help
or did i damgage the dme
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #73
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieuvietmy View Post
hello
need help working on the dmw n55 and had plug in the wrong connector
because both they look the same, and now the car crank over but won't run
when the connector are in wrong i did flash map on bm3 and is till show finishing flash.
and i find out the wrong connector so fix it but car won't run
please any one help
or did i damgage the dme
Flash back to stock and relock dme. Then try flashing the other map again. What connectors are you talking about?
      05-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #74
hieuvietmy
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 f80

the dme connector number 2-3
on the dme it have 2 connecter can plug in same
and my guy plug in the wrong position
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:32 AM   #75
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieuvietmy View Post
the dme connector number 2-3
on the dme it have 2 connecter can plug in same
and my guy plug in the wrong position
You can't accidentally flash it by plugging this into the wrong connector slot. Only the one has the proper 2 CAN lines power, ign, and in some cases additional pins. So unless you fried something by running power to the wrong pins you shouldn't have an issue just trying to do it properly on the right connector. If you have an issue then you almost certainly bricked it irreversibly.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #76
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
You can't accidentally flash it by plugging this into the wrong connector slot. Only the one has the proper 2 CAN lines power, ign, and in some cases additional pins. So unless you fried something by running power to the wrong pins you shouldn't have an issue just trying to do it properly on the right connector. If you have an issue then you almost certainly bricked it irreversibly.
Speak of the devil... you're alive.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #77
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Speak of the devil... you're alive.
Lol yeah I am alive, my BMWs aren't really roadworthy and I haven't spent more than 20 minutes on them in year+ since like last week. Been busy on my house a lot, and on my other toys, it's hard to resist the allure of a 911 Turbo S to work on a full rebuild ya know lol.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161604.00