F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New CTS Intake...anyone have it yet?
proTUNING Freaks

09-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #23
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The logic behind using a "hexagonal" maf housing doesn't add up and I'm also unsure why you'd want to add the weight of a cast component to an already lightweight system.
Care to explain in more detail?
This is the first intake I've ordered for my BMW so I have no comparison.
I'd like to see the housings on other intakes, maybe that would explain more..

Logically it makes sense to me, perhaps the circular MAF housing creates some sort of turbulence that affects readings? I don't know but I would love to hear your input.

And on the weight thing, c'mon dude, I'll take a dump before I go for a ride to make up for the added weight.
      09-21-2016, 11:58 PM   #24
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
Care to explain in more detail?
This is the first intake I've ordered for my BMW so I have no comparison.
I'd like to see the housings on other intakes, maybe that would explain more..

Logically it makes sense to me, perhaps the circular MAF housing creates some sort of turbulence that affects readings? I don't know but I would love to hear your input.

And on the weight thing, c'mon dude, I'll take a dump before I go for a ride to make up for the added weight.
The OEM intake doesn't utilize a hexagonal shaped MAF housing and it manages to avoid fuel trim issues. The ideal shape would be the same as OEM although our shop N55 has never had any issues with a standard circular MAF housing.

By using a cast aluminum MAF housing you're adding more heat to the intake tract as well. A thick slab of aluminum is going to conduct and retain significantly more heat than a thin tubed aluminum or even stock plastic intake.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #25
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

Thanks! Very valid point there about the MAF housing. I plan on logging the IAT with both stock and CTS intake tomorrow. Curious to see how much of a difference there will be now especially with the cast aluminum point you made.

Thanks again!
      09-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #26
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #27
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I just took a look at my stock housing, and it sure could be hexagonal. I didn't reach underneath to count the sides, but it sure is irregularly shaped.

Looking forward to IAT measurements as this one may be at the top of my list.
      09-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #28
Paz1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

What's the best Intake in the market for a non ricer sound and performance. Also do all Intake show a CEL?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 11:05 PM   #29
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

Just got mine today, finally got to the garage to start installing it. No install instructions at all. The intake part is pretty self explanatory but the brackets it comes with I can't figure out... Nothing on their website about installing this thing...

*** EDIT ***

That was fun last night, finally got it installed. It was sort of a PITA without any instructions. Before I pass judgement/review it fairly I'd like to get the install instructions from CTS.

I did some testing of IAT but I need to redo it properly. I've included the data on my site that uses a nice graph. The ambient air temps were different by about 10-20 degree's F so it's not a fair comparison at the moment. The initial testing of Torque and it's logging feature was done in the afternoon. Then testing of the CTS intake installed was done late at night when the ambient air temp was way different.

The sound is crazy, this thing is going to get me in trouble with the wife. She took my son to school in it this morning and not even 5 minutes into the ride I get the "WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE CAR" call....

You can see the full review, install log, IAT charts on my site here

[IMG]http://i1.wp.com/*************/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/IMG_0396.jpg?resize=768%2C512[/IMG]
There is the stock MAF housing

[IMG]http://i1.wp.com/*************/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/IMG_0388.jpg?resize=768%2C512[/IMG]
And the CTS MAF housing

Nearly identical.

Last edited by badbread; 09-23-2016 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3807.00
      09-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #30
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

Here's a couple links to a couple more charts on Datazap.me

Stock Airbox IAT vs Ambient

CTS Intake IAT vs Ambient

Some quick data I extrapolated.

Using the areas where my average speed was around 68MPH

Stock the ambient temp averaged 71.6F (22C) and the intake 100.4F (38C) a difference of 28.8F

CTS the ambient temp averaged 59F (15C) and the intake 77F (25C) a difference of 18F

Once again, I'm very unsure of the validity of this data so please take this with a grain of salt.
I would really be grateful if someone with knowledge and experience could chime in and validate or invalidate the significance and accuracy of this data. Also maybe even a little guidance on what to test and how.

Thanks again!

Last edited by badbread; 09-23-2016 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3807.00
      09-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #31
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Looks like it's vastly different in diameter alone. Issues with intakes on MAF cars are due to the diameter of the tubing used, not the general shape of the surrounding area.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #32
anrec330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #33
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrec330 View Post
Any sound clips?
Not yet, but I've actually been brainstorming a way to get an accurate representation of the sound. I'm going to experiment a bit with an external mic tonight I hope, stay tuned.
      09-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #34
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Looks like it's vastly different in diameter alone. Issues with intakes on MAF cars are due to the diameter of the tubing used, not the general shape of the surrounding area.
Tiago,

It appears you are going out of your way to criticize another manufacturer's product. First you stated that the stock MAF housing wasn't shaped the way CTS Turbo claimed. Then, when that was shown to not be the case you claim that the MAF housing is vastly different in diameter, even though the only person to compare the two so far said they are pretty much identical.

As someone who purchased your charge pipe shortly after it was introduced, and who also posted the solution for the issue with the vacuum connection not fitting properly, I have to wonder why you are choosing to criticize the CTS Turbo product before anyone has had any hands on experience yet.

If you have purchased one of the CTS Turbo intakes and have found a problem with the product, some firsthand experience would of course be appreciated.
ali820271.50
      09-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #35
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm not going out of my way at all, I'm just making sure people are aware that the cast maf housing is in fact a gimmick. It's not identically shaped to the OEM nor is it the same diameter. It certainly won't have a different effect on your idle/cruise vs a standard round tube like the BMS or Injen offerings.

We don't even make a F30 intake, I have no skin in the game. I'm giving my unbiased opinion which is backed by over 15 years of personal experience with MAF based cars so folks don't get duped by the hype.

It's your car and you're free to modify it however you'd like. Honestly I hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #36
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You can see the full review, install log, IAT charts on my site here
Excellent write up, thanks for taking the time. Seems like the unit may have a couple of fitment issues. Looks like you did a great job given that you had to work without any instructions. Shame on CTS Turbo for rushing the product to market before they had the instructions ready.
      09-23-2016, 03:07 PM   #37
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here's a couple links to a couple more charts on Datazap.me

Stock Airbox IAT vs Ambient

CTS Intake IAT vs Ambient

Some quick data I extrapolated.

Using the areas where my average speed was around 68MPH

Stock the ambient temp averaged 71.6F (22C) and the intake 100.4F (38C) a difference of 28.8F

CTS the ambient temp averaged 59F (15C) and the intake 77F (25C) a difference of 18F

Once again, I'm very unsure of the validity of this data so please take this with a grain of salt.
I would really be grateful if someone with knowledge and experience could chime in and validate or invalidate the significance and accuracy of this data. Also maybe even a little guidance on what to test and how.

Thanks again!
Just a tip, logging RPM, IAT, WGDC, gear and boost is critical when logging intake temps
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #38
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going out of my way at all, I'm just making sure people are aware that the cast maf housing is in fact a gimmick. It's not identically shaped to the OEM nor is it the same diameter. It certainly won't have a different effect on your idle/cruise vs a standard round tube like the BMS or Injen offerings.

We don't even make a F30 intake, I have no skin in the game. I'm giving my unbiased opinion which is backed by over 15 years of personal experience with MAF based cars so folks don't get duped by the hype.

It's your car and you're free to modify it however you'd like. Honestly I hope it works out for you.
Interesting. From a manufacturing perspective what is the difference between using a cast housing vs a plastic housing. Both from a design and production perspective. Is one easier to develop and/or produce than the other and is one a cheaper approach.
      09-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #39
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
Excellent write up, thanks for taking the time. Seems like the unit may have a couple of fitment issues. Looks like you did a great job given that you had to work without any instructions. Shame on CTS Turbo for rushing the product to market before they had the instructions ready.
Thanks, appreciate the kudos!

Quote:
Just a tip, logging RPM, IAT, WGDC, gear and boost is critical when logging intake temps
Thanks for the tip! Exactly the type of info I'm looking for. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Torque logs WGDC (Waste Gate Duty Cycle?) or gear. I've added the others to my what to log list for future logs.
FSociety3807.00
      09-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #40
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPM View Post
Interesting. From a manufacturing perspective what is the difference between using a cast housing vs a plastic housing. Both from a design and production perspective. Is one easier to develop and/or produce than the other and is one a cheaper approach.
The cost of a cast aluminum piece is very low after the mold is paid for. Maybe $9-10 for the part after the machining cost on a high volume run. Plastic housings will cost significantly more since you're making a mold for the entire intake vs just the housing but the overall cost per unit is significantly less.

The cast aluminum part is definitely an easier/less expensive option unless you're making thousands of pieces.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #41
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

So after a few more days with the intake I'm still not sure what to think.

I've reached out to CTS through email, phone and through the other company they are affiliated with when you call them and have received no response at all.

The sound has definitely grown on me, it's loud but it's fun. It's really cool to hear all the inner workings of the turbo.

As far datalogging, IAT and the like. Last night I was driving around quite a bit and it was finally a regular bay area night (temps in the low 60's.)

The difference between the IAT and the ambient temp was around 50-60F, not sure why it was so different from my initial logging but being such a cool night I would expect IAT to be a bit lower and closer to the ambient.

[IMG]http://*************/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/datazap-chart-3.png[/IMG]

Link to interactive chart on datazap: http://datazap.me/u/lpfake/ambient-v...data=1-2-3-4-5

There is a WOT from a roll in there as well. ~10MPH to 100MPH (according to the graph) in 11 seconds. I don't remember going that fast but I guess it's possible. Not sure if that data is helpful, it's towards the end of the graph.

I guess my question is, is it normal for ambient and IAT to be that far apart?

Colder air is better air right? Hence having an upgraded IC.

Using something like Dinan's CAI or even the stock intake just seem to make more sense logically but what do I know. I understand the restriction argument but from what I've read, the stock air intake system isn't all that restrictive.
      10-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #42
csmarsha
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
As far datalogging, IAT and the like. Last night I was driving around quite a bit and it was finally a regular bay area night (temps in the low 60's.)

The difference between the IAT and the ambient temp was around 50-60F, not sure why it was so different from my initial logging but being such a cool night I would expect IAT to be a bit lower and closer to the ambient.

I guess my question is, is it normal for ambient and IAT to be that far apart?

Colder air is better air right? Hence having an upgraded IC.
The difference between ambient and IAT is more a function of intercooler efficiency and the heat of the turbo (IAT goes up when you're "driving around quite a bit") than anything else. At the end of the day the air coming in your intake is flowing through your super hot turbo, then gets pressurized, all of which increases the temperature of the charged air ie cause your IAT to go up.

You're right in saying that colder air is better and an upgraded IC is the best at getting that job done. The function of the intake is to maximize the potential air flow to your engine... not suck the coolest air possible, because... the air still has to flow through a red hot turbo before it reaches the engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #43
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

That's great info, thanks for the response! Appreciate it!
      10-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #44
Triple88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi M-Sport

Ive been talking to CTS and they are going to post instructions this weekend if anyone is looking for them
Appreciate 1
FSociety3807.00