F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Speedtech.com Stg3 Turbo (600whp)
Extreme Powerhouse

03-11-2017, 06:16 AM   #45
FThirtyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I sent this link to BM3 guys yesterday if they could tune this setup and they mentioned that in fact they were working on the Speedtech car. Really looking forward to this now and testing results.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3807.00
      03-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #46
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

I'm waiting to see if the Speedtech kit fits right hand drive vehicles; very impressed with what I've seen so far.
Also waiting to see the new kits from ACF..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #47
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Yeah I meant big boost turbo vs ps2 vs spt.
Which stage 2? The spt 3.2 middle version I posted or ps2?
It wasnt just people, it was Pure Turbos that stated that 600whp the N55 will start to give.
I would just run 500-525 and be done, thats pretty damn fast if you ask me.
      03-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #48
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
It's a new turbo that's ball bearing, still being tested. I'll know more soon.
What's up with this ball bearing kit and who's making it? I was thinking about PS2 for my EWG, but may wait now that this has been said.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #49
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
What's up with this ball bearing kit and who's making it? I was thinking about PS2 for my EWG, but may wait now that this has been said.
I want to so bad but I was asked by my tuner not to disclose anything yet but we should know in a week or so, the piece is being tested on an X4 here in the U.S. The price will be very competitive with PS2.
      03-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #50
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
It wasnt just people, it was Pure Turbos that stated that 600whp the N55 will start to give.
I would just run 500-525 and be done, thats pretty damn fast if you ask me.
Yeah, I'm not looking to pass 550whp. I will be happy too around 460-520 as is my dd. And ps2 seems to match that and is not that expensive compare to the spt that start at 4k.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #51
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I want to so bad but I was asked by my tuner not to disclose anything yet but we should know in a week or so, the piece is being tested on an X4 here in the U.S. The price will be very competitive with PS2.
Copy that. Looking forward to it.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1749.50
      03-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #52
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Copy that. Looking forward to it.
Man me too! Just the thought of having ball bearing instead of journal, I'm so stoked.
      03-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #53
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Man me too! Just the thought of having ball bearing instead of journal, I'm so stoked.
Will it be a true twin scroll BB turbo or just a ball bearing turbo with a divided housing? I'm intrigued to find more out about this. For the same price point as a PS2 this is definitely interesting, even more so since there would be no core exchange.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 06:21 PM   #54
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Will it be a true twin scroll BB turbo or just a ball bearing turbo with a divided housing? I'm intrigued to find more out about this. For the same price point as a PS2 this is definitely interesting, even more so since there would be no core exchange.
No there will be a core sadly I know I feel the same way. It will be a ball bearing twin scroll.

Info will be out next week, it's not my place to say anything more out of courtesy to the maker and my tuner. They asked not to as they're preparing a release package.
      03-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #55
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Rad. I'll be on the lookout for it.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1749.50
      03-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #56
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ya I'm very excited, I don't know much other than I've seen it in person and held it, and where it's coming from.
I honestly have no idea what type of power it will put out. Dyno #'s will come next week fingers crossed.

But being that it's bb and they really are focusing on quality I'm very excited and this is where my coin would land on future upgrade.
      03-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #57
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But here his will keep you busy for a bit. If anyone was wondering how big a b58 turbo is, well it's definitely bigger than an N55.

Take a gander at this brand new b58 turbo .
Attached Images

03-12-2017, 03:05 PM   #58
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
That's a sweet manifold setup. Looks like it's got a couple of quick release v-band clamps on the middle to make the turbo section easily removable. Looks like a rail clamp flange to the motor, too. Nice design. Way better than the N55 turbofold.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #59
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
SpeedTech turbo discussion here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44508

Some quoted post from Jeff@SpeedTech himself

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=105
Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for the post on our new kit! Much appreciated! We've put a lot of work into it over the last year, and we're excited to get it out to the public. The goal was to make a kit for sub $5k, that has good spool characteristics and stock-like driveability, and over 600whp of course! I've been running it for nearly a year as my daily, and it's honestly the most fun daily driver I've ever owned.

I just wanted to pop in and answer any questions you might have. I'll try to get through the thread and respond accordingly. Otherwise, feel free to PM or email me at jeff@speedtech.com.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=107
Quote:
I've run the stage 3 setup with stock *** and exhaust, and also with our ******* dp, on boost set anywhere from stock (8psi) to 32psi, and have not run into any misfire issues. Have also run above configs on a stock flash, stock + JB4, and BM3 + JB4(as boost control over BM3 map). On top of the above, have run them on 91oct and straight E85 without misfires. Actually, the only time I've seen a misfire is when I had my PI set too heavy and ran afr around 9:1. (This has all been with the stock airbox/filter/tube, stock intercooler, stock exhaust)
Here it gets interesting, as EOS released an S55 manifold that showed mid-range 50whp/50wtq gain and they're finishing their N55 manifold. Speedtech also posted on this topic

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=112

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=115
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! I have not yet run on straight pump gas, as the dyno runs were on an E40ish mix. I typically run straight E85 as that is the safest route when running high boost, but I wanted to mix down closer to pump gas for those that don't have E85. For those folks that can't find E85, I would at minimum tune on pump gas (short runs, rich as possible), then add Meth injection to try and control the burn rate, as pre-ignition can double the stresses in the rod/piston.

As for the 8at, I have not seen any slip up to 30psi, though I'm running the BM3 flash and using JB4 for on-the-fly boost control. Not sure where the clamp load margin ends, but the flash will allow the dme to see the higher boost/torque, and should apply higher line pressure to create higher clamp load in the clutch packs.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=116
Quote:
I'm running the stock pump supplying the hpfp, and have a separate pump (similar flow to stock) that supplies only the PI (controlled by AI6).
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=154
Quote:
Below is a couple more pics. My take on the stock n55 manifold is the 4-6 scroll is likely a bit more restrictive, as it looks like it is being used to improve spool, as in, increase gas velocity on that side (reducing xsec area). This is just my opinion, as I don't have data on it other than what I'm showing here. Hopefully this is helpful for some of you.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=159
Quote:
Also, I'm not trying to put down anything Pure has done, they've got a great product. I just think people need to manage their expectations on hp that can be squeezed out of a turbofold that was designed for 300hp. We have to play within the laws of physics, trying to get 1500cfm through a 1" hole is going to create some backpressure... A good example of this - we made about 630whp at 25psi (stock intercooler, airbox, exhaust), where any oem manifold hybrid is not going to be in that ballpark, the only fix for that is a stage 3 manifold/turbo.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=170
Quote:
Correct, we use the 7670 with internal wastegate. For the pwg guys, we use the wastegate actuator that is included on this EFR turbo. For the ewg guys, we have tooled up a bracket and linkage to mount the factory ewg onto the EFR turbo.

Jeff@Speedtech should come onboard on this forum as lots of guys not over at N54tech and also there are no favorites here unlike the other forum

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=255
Quote:
May i ask if this one fit F30 335i xdrive?
Yes, we'll have a kit for xdrive soon, as the kits we have ready now are for rwd only. There is a slight update to the manifold to position the turbo differently for awd, and the motor mount support is also different, so we are getting parts setup for this. I'll throw out an update when I have an xdrive setup and running. Thanks!
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=243
Quote:
Hi Jeff, any log of ur 25++psi run? How do you hold dme bt high? Are u using bm3?

--> I am running BM3, but I also run JB4 as a boost controller - due to dme reducing requested torque in higher gears, even with the flash. I've asked Dzenno if there is a map that we can change this setting vs gear, but haven't heard anything back on that, so I'm guessing it is still in the works.

On our webpage you can see a shot of the dyno log, and the dme_bt is pretty low bc I was running in 6th gear (1:1 on zf8). If I dyno in lower gears, I could definitely get a lot more torque out of it (dme_bt requesting higher torque, thus higher line pressure in trans, thus less likely to damage the trans, etc). When running 4th gear on-road, I have runs as much as 32psi running e85, as the dme_bt is closer to 15-20psi, and I figure at that point, the trans is commanding as much line pressure as it can, so using JB4 to control boost beyond that works just fine. It's also nice to be able to adjust boost on the fly to run a "kill mode" if one is inclined to do so

Sorry for the rambling, lots of tech details behind it, and not sure if you are interested in more than the above..

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=259
Quote:
What is the install like on this? Do you just install it from the bottom? What about instructions? Also have you done any 93 oct testing? I usually only run 93 octane during the week then Ethanol on the weekends...
Install is pretty straight forward, very similar to stock. I've got full instructions that go with the kit, but at a high level - picture stock install, turbo/manifold assembled as a unit, then installed onto engine. Order of ops is very similar to stock.

I've run 91 through part of the winter, but run ethanol most of the time, so haven't run any 91 testing on the dyno (ethanol is just sooo good, and have a pump 2 miles from my shop ) I'm sure pump gas and heavy meth spray would still put down a lot of power, as it pulled like mad even when running the 91 with the meth.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=260
Quote:
Any estimate time to release the turbo for F30 xidrive? What's will be the roughly max wheel power on this turbo?
The manifold for the awd setup should be ready in about 5 weeks. I'll make sure to update those that have shown interest in that.

For the EFR 7670, we put down 630whp at 25psi. I've since run up to 30psi on-road, so should be over 650whp. I'm also going to offer the EFR 8374 which should be good to 750whp. The N55 is really impressive in the power/psi on these turbos compared to other platforms I've seen. And the EFR turbos have ceramic ball bearings and the lightest wheel assemblies (gamma-ti), spools up crazy quick, so it really is a good combination.
Quote:
I suppose we would require a truly progressive methanol kit to be able to run 50/50 WM with port injection, as a non-progressive unit that isnt 100% meth and large jets would cause a lean condition when it activates right?
I have run it both ways without afr spikes or misfires, but I would agree that the progressive setup would be the better route for sure.
Another interesting post by Anytyme
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=204
Quote:
As far as misfires go, my car hasn't had any @28psi. Overall I'm very happy with my ACF top mount kit. Yes it was bumpy in the beginning but now that all the mechanical problems are sorted; Twisted Tuning will be creating a new base map and building it up from there.

I removed the AIC and installed the JB4 PI controller stacked with JB$ and MHD. We were waiting on a chip upgrade from BMS so PI wasnt working. Car still put down 500whp @19psi on base map on Mustang dyno. We recieved the chip in the mail and car will be back on dyno week after next as we shoot for 700whp.

I'm aware as well about the other cars that blew up but my car has been running @ the 650whp level for a while and she's quite fine.Tuning has a huge role to play in the motors exploding

Just sharing some views by others:
"I wouldn't take Pure's comments seriously. The rod design on the N55 is better than the N54, on paper. They look identical in design and material with the main difference being:

The size of the connecting rod of the N55 engine is 144.35 mm. A new feature is the specially formed hole in the small end of the connecting rod. This formed hole is machined wider on the lower edges of the wrist pin bushing/bore. This design evenly distributes the force acting on the wrist pin over the entire surface of the rod bushing and reduces the load at the edges, as the piston is forced downward on the power stroke.
N54 Rod:
vsc32v.jpg

N55 Rod:
243hkx3.jpg

If N55's are bending rods at 600whp+ it's probably because of tuning. No one running that much whp on an N55 (E-series) has a proper tune YET. These guys are almost all relying on the JB4 and outdated COBB backend flashes. The JB4's ability to send/receive data reliably enough to support these power levels without hiccups is questionable... Personally, I could never trust my motor to JB4 biasing and meth/PI control. MHD, and the expanded access to DME tables, will help close some of the tuning gaps on the N55 platform.

You also have to consider that Pure's comments are coming at a time when N55 turbo kits are starting to hit the market that outshine and undercut their own PS2 offering..."

"As for the comments above on N55's bending rods above 600hp, I would have to agree with what was already said here, in that tuning plays a laaarge part of how any of these games plays out. Manufacturers design parts to have certain design margin (component stresses during worst-case combustion events) in place to hit their reliability targets with a distribution across thousands of vehicles. I know this, as I've been an engineer on the oem side of things for nearly 20 years... When turning up the knob to 2x the stock vehicle hp, we are using some of that margin. Now, when tunes are not quite dialed, and misfires and pre-ignition happen, the stresses in the rods/piston/crank can double, relative to a normal combustion event, so now rather than 2x the stress, we are at 4x the stress of a stock setup. When that happens, I'm not surprised if any engine, be it N54, N55, a smallblock Chevy or Ford, etc would see something damaged in the rotating assembly.

I've been daily driving my test mule (2014 335i) for this kit for about a year without issues. I would be interested in seeing and hearing about these other N55's that have had issues though."

Im anxious to see what she'll take as there's too much speculation going around,

N55 World Record 650whp 571tq
2011 N55 335I, VM Top Mount Kit, PTE 6266 Gen 2, JB4 AMS Fmic, ER CP with BOV, FuelIt Stg3 LPFP, , PI Platinum Kit.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 4
Jadar1749.50
ronanz1816.50
TR-8R77.00
      03-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #60
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
SpeedTech turbo discussion here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44508

Some quoted post from Jeff@SpeedTech himself
Nice staff. I was going for ps2 last month and now I see to have more options to chose from, it is a little overwhelming to pick the right one.
      03-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #61
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice staff. I was going for ps2 last month and now I see to have more options to chose from, it is a little overwhelming to pick the right one.
Keep your money in your pocket a little longer, you will have some more options very soon. Read, evaluate what you want for power and make a decision. I am not a huge fan of PS2, I have seen them break easy. I am very happy with my ps1 and my upgrade from that will not be a PS2 but xxx ball bearing
FSociety3807.00
yoandry673.00
      03-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #62
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:

Quote:
Keep your money in your pocket a little longer, you will have some more options very soon. Read, evaluate what you want for power and make a decision. I am not a huge fan of PS2, I have seen them break easy. I am very happy with my ps1 and my upgrade from that will not be a PS2 but xxx ball bearing

This ^^^^^

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 2
yoandry673.00
      03-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #63
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Yep same thing how EOS (EvolutionOfSpeed) has their Port Injection Kit for $900 including JB4 controller or AIC6 controller for flash only cars) (Noticed its a base kit which the other popular brand sells starting at $1200) and then we also have MMP-E with their Direct Meth/Port Injection bundle kit bringing more competition to the game.

Appreciate 1
yoandry673.00
      03-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #64
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Yep same thing how EOS (EvolutionOfSpeed) has their Port Injection Kit for $900 including JB4 controller or AIC6 controller for flash only cars) (Noticed its a base kit which the other popular brand sells starting at $1200) and then we also have MMP-E with their Direct Meth/Port Injection bundle kit bringing more competition to the game.
Eos manifold and ball bearing twin scroll N55 dynos very soon . Beastly x4 grocery hauler.
      03-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #65
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

All right guys, lets keep saving then for the right one. My whp redline is anything below 550, for a dd plenty of power.
      03-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #66
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Eos manifold and ball bearing twin scroll N55 dynos very soon . Beastly x4 grocery hauler.
Cant wait to see what u guys will do with that X4 35i
A few guys already in for the SpeedTech Stg3 GroupBuy (i know about 4 of them)

Quote:
All right guys, lets keep saving then for the right one. My whp redline is anything below 550, for a dd plenty of power.
Same here 400whp/462wtq (current setup for daily) and i'll be happy with 500whp/520wtq & 550/550 with plenty of head room instead of maxing out a PS2.

Appreciate 1
yoandry673.00