F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Speedtech.com Stg3 Turbo (600whp)
Studio RSR

03-17-2017, 04:49 AM   #67
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
Keep your money in your pocket a little longer, you will have some more options very soon. Read, evaluate what you want for power and make a decision. I am not a huge fan of PS2, I have seen them break easy. I am very happy with my ps1 and my upgrade from that will not be a PS2 but xxx ball bearing
Can you provide a few examples/links of such? Whether it be this forum or the "other" one. Not trying to argue or discredit you, but I'm also conducting research of my own as I await Speedtech's offering for the E Series.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3807.00
      03-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #68
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post
Quote:
Keep your money in your pocket a little longer, you will have some more options very soon. Read, evaluate what you want for power and make a decision. I am not a huge fan of PS2, I have seen them break easy. I am very happy with my ps1 and my upgrade from that will not be a PS2 but xxx ball bearing
Can you provide a few examples/links of such? Whether it be this forum or the "other" one. Not trying to argue or discredit you, but I'm also conducting research of my own as I await Speedtech's offering for the E Series.
There will be another option with details releasing soon. I know what it is but am not at will to disclose such details. Do like Dejan said and wait. It is coming from a tuner that has made over 600hp on the F30 platform. Just remember. Good things come to those who wait.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #69
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post
Quote:
There were a few threads discussing certain issues. Some were different forums. The occurrence on here were in the early PS2 mod discussions, and a member ran a sport cat with his setup and melted the backside of his turbo because the walls are thin from boring out.

The latest incident is in Brazil where an M5 setup the compressor inlet wheel retaining but just spun off and damaged the turbine.

And best evidence of all currently and in physical evidence possession cryptocar Alex's manifold cracked on the bored out area where the bigger exhaust turbine fits.

Yes these are only a few small number of incidents that I know or have heard of but think about how much money it is for the setup with no warranty at all. And the labor involved to remove and reinstall. I just can't take that kind of chance personally.

Pm me your email I'll show you some photos of it. The rest you gotta search for forums for.

Is it still worth getting a PS2 yes I'd say so but proceed with warning. There are already 2 great options especially speedtechs setup and soon there will be one more option released.
      03-17-2017, 11:21 AM   #70
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
There were a few threads discussing certain issues. Some were different forums. The occurrence on here were in the early PS2 mod discussions, and a member ran a sport cat with his setup and melted the backside of his turbo because the walls are thin from boring out.

The latest incident is in Brazil where an M5 setup the compressor inlet wheel retaining but just spun off and damaged the turbine.

And best evidence of all currently and in physical evidence possession cryptocar Alex's manifold cracked on the bored out area where the bigger exhaust turbine fits.

Yes these are only a few small number of incidents that I know or have heard of but think about how much money it is for the setup with no warranty at all. And the labor involved to remove and reinstall. I just can't take that kind of chance personally.

Pm me your email I'll show you some photos of it. The rest you gotta search for forums for.

Is it still worth getting a PS2 yes I'd say so but proceed with warning. There are already 2 great options especially speedtechs setup and soon there will be one more option released.
I know people personally in the North East with multiple occurrence on the PS2, for what it cost, and the lack of warranty, Customer Service issue people encounter.

I'll keep my options open to what's coming + Speedtech

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
Jadar1749.50
      03-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #71
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Quote:

I know people personally in the North East with multiple occurrence on the PS2, for what it cost, and the lack of warranty, Customer Service issue people encounter.

I'll keep my options open to what's coming + Speedtech
Yes sir spot on. I believe I've seen the discussion m, if this is the same guy that is on his 3rd Ps2 due to failure all at full retail then we're thinking of the same occurrence, and that's just one of many.

Check out Alex's manifold. And the M5 hybrid turbo down in Brazil that the impeller screw worked itself off and damaged the compressor wheel. Just sayin keep your options open as there are MANY better options now.
Attached Images

03-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #72
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes sir spot on. I believe I've seen the discussion m, if this is the same guy that is on his 3rd Ps2 due to failure all at full retail then we're thinking of the same occurrence, and that's just one of many.

Check out Alex's manifold. And the M5 hybrid turbo down in Brazil that the impeller screw worked itself off and damaged the compressor wheel. Just sayin keep your options open as there are MANY better options now.
Yes it is, and crazy because same (last occurrence in September) there was a M5 that blew up on PS2 too at the same event.

Sad truth is we only hear the good side of things but never the negative stories when they happen.

Appreciate 1
Jadar1749.50
      03-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #73
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

What about a "Stage 2" replacement for the PS2? 600whp is cool and all, but I don't need a turbo that large, want to sacrifice bottom end or run anything beyond 93 and mixing in some ethanol.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:40 PM   #74
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
What about a "Stage 2" replacement for the PS2? 600whp is cool and all, but I don't need a turbo that large, want to sacrifice bottom end or run anything beyond 93 and mixing in some ethanol.

ACF and Speedtech will have options soon...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 2
FSociety3807.00
TR-8R77.00
      03-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #75
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Speed tech has 3 different options, and there's a new turbo coming out very soon and they will have a stage 2 ball bearing twin scroll prob good for around 500whp, stage 2.5 ball bearing bigger compressor wheel 550+ and a custom stage 3 setup with a custom manifold and bits.

If you buy any big turbo doesn't mean you have to max it out. I mean you can make a lot more power using less boost and octane so 475-500rwhp on 93 octane and 16psi is very achievable.
You don't have to run 25-26psi out of the box if you don't want to.
135iDCT136.00
      03-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #76
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Speed tech has 3 different options, and there's a new turbo coming out very soon and they will have a stage 2 ball bearing twin scroll prob good for around 500whp, stage 2.5 ball bearing bigger compressor wheel 550+ and a custom stage 3 setup with a custom manifold and bits.

If you buy any big turbo doesn't mean you have to max it out. I mean you can make a lot more power using less boost and octane so 475-500rwhp on 93 octane and 16psi is very achievable.
You don't have to run 25-26psi out of the box if you don't want to.
Exactly my thoughts!

I rather have head room for when I need it, and not having to run max to enjoy it.

Also, for ex 18psi on a Upgraded Turbo with good tuning will destroy 18psi on Stock turbo with same tuning

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #77
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts!

I rather have head room for when I need it, and not having to run max to enjoy it.

Also, for ex 18psi on a Upgraded Turbo with good tuning will destroy 18psi on Stock turbo with same tuning
I get that. I've had multiple large turbo builds before. Both were 5-600whp cars on race fuel. All I can say that having a turbo properly sized for the build, goals and application is MUCH more fun and more responsive than having one you can just "turn up the boost or grow into". Bigger turbos equal more lag. It may not seem like it but a couple hundred RPM's make a huge difference. I'm over the big turbo thing.

Im very excited for this ball bearing twin scroll Dejan is alluding to.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #78
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly my thoughts!

Yeah absolutely no reason to push it past 500whp form me personally. I think that's more than plenty and will make and insane sleeper.

Quote:
I get that. I've had multiple large turbo builds before. Both were 5-600whp cars on race fuel. All I can say that having a turbo properly sized for the build, goals and application is MUCH more fun and more responsive than having one you can just "turn up the boost or grow into". Bigger turbos equal more lag. It may not seem like it but a couple hundred RPM's make a huge difference. I'm over the big turbo thing.

All these stage 3 packages will have lag guaranteed. They incorporate a separate casing design and a different style custom "cast" manifold. Even a pure stage 2 has lag weather people wanna believe it or not. Check out pures web site they even state that.

I have also had 600whp + cars and once you reach that point the power and chassis balance just become unusable on the street and makes for a very unsatisfactory driving experience.

I just want DD duty, 20+mpg and usable 450-500rwhp.

Last edited by Jadar; 03-17-2017 at 08:12 PM..
Appreciate 3
FSociety3807.00
kevinjt151.50
TR-8R77.00
      03-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #79
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:

I'll just leave this here...

EDIT: Replaced previous PDF Doc with better quality one

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BW 7670 Twin Scroll Turbo.pdf (345.2 KB, 652 views)

My Build Thread can be found HERE

Last edited by ronanz; 03-17-2017 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3807.00
      03-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #80
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah absolutely no reason to push it past 500whp form me personally. I think that's more than plenty and will make and insane sleeper.

All these stage 3 packages will have lag guaranteed. They incorporate a separate casing design and a different style custom "cast" manifold. Even a pure stage 2 has lag weather people wanna believe it or not. Check out pures web site they even state that.

I have also had 600whp + cars and once you reach that point the power and chassis balance just become unusable on the street and makes for a very unsatisfactory driving experience.

Yes, I wasn't saying that the PS2 wouldn't. I was just saying that a turbo operating in its efficiency range at 450whp is going to respond better than a turbo putting down the same power running lower boost but is efficient in the 600whp range. All I'm looking for is a nice stage 2 option to get me in the 450whp range. Anymore for the street is just insane.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #81
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I wasn't saying that the PS2 wouldn't. I was just saying that a turbo operating in its efficiency range at 450whp is going to respond better than a turbo putting down the same power running lower boost but is efficient in the 600whp range. All I'm looking for is a nice stage 2 option to get me in the 450whp range. Anymore for the street is just insane.
Yes totally understand what you're saying and what your after, in fact were both after the same thing . Best you wait out this release of the ball bearing twin scroll and see if you like their offerings. If not then perhaps try the speed tech they seem like they have a nice setup as well.
      03-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #82
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
+1 on this. I have been driving the PS2 now for +6 months on 22psi to redline (~500whp) - this is more power than anyone will ever need outside of a dragstrip with RWD. I have traction issues up to 60mph with PSS 245's and in the wet......hopeless without traction enabled.

I think the PS2 is spot on for maximum "not way over the top" useable power.
Attached Images

Last edited by harkes; 03-17-2017 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
sly1types423.50
      03-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #83
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Yes totally understand what you're saying and what your after, in fact were both after the same thing . Best you wait out this release of the ball bearing twin scroll and see if you like their offerings. If not then perhaps try the speed tech they seem like they have a nice setup as well.
I'm also
The thing is that whatever is coming out now, needs to be tasted. Don't want it to turn it on the same ps2 failure out there. So dejan will be my guinea pig.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #84
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Quote:
I'm also
The thing is that whatever is coming out now, needs to be tasted. Don't want it to turn it on the same ps2 failure out there. So dejan will be my guinea pig.
I'm not the guinea lol but thanks...the 1st USA model will be tested on an X4 N55. Same thing basically just different plumbing for inlets.
      03-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #85
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I'll definitely wait for the BB twin scroll. Didn't you say they were announcing it this week?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #86
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I'll definitely wait for the BB twin scroll. Didn't you say they were announcing it this week?
Yes but I don't know officially. That's what I was told, it's going to be up to the vendor when and how. I just know of the turbo because my Tuner is testing it.

I'm hoping release like asap cuz I want this kit already.
      03-19-2017, 06:26 PM   #87
kevinjt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport 14'

Sub'd, My DD goal is also around 475 - 500 whp
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #88
HKD126
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes but I don't know officially. That's what I was told, it's going to be up to the vendor when and how. I just know of the turbo because my Tuner is testing it.

I'm hoping release like asap cuz I want this kit already.
Yeah man, you sold me as soon as you said stage 2 BB twin scroll. They are going to sell tons of these kits.
Appreciate 0