F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > M Performance Power Kit Details
proTUNING Freaks

10-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #45
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle

Unless of course, the gains are truly gains above the underrated engine already... Ahh my head hurts. Can I have 350hp/350tq for $1k and keep my warranty?
This is what I'm hoping for!

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #46
Quackdiesel
Corleone
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d M Sport

I wish our vehicles came like this but I cannot turn this down in hopes of better than IS performance. The price may be high but I'm not complaining, even for 10 hp. Seems like the ppk is a good start for the growing list of mods. Engine specs, ecu and other goodies are giving me more anxiety than i already have from waiting. I will get my 335i xd on Saturday so after the break in I will get a dyno.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #47
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
BMW always develop newer and better maps for the car. They improve drivability, consumption and gas response etc. If something is "lost" between updates I would rather call it evolution than that they are pushing out "downgrades" to force people to buy a product.
Please go to the N54 forums and read up on all the firmware updates...with each one they have increased lag and created softer transitions...There was a pretty big uproar over it...like I said, all the magazine test cars and initial roll out vehicles are always tuned with more aggressive throttle etc. ...this changes after the they have been through a decent time cycle to be updated...less pressure on the car means less fixes under warranty for them. This equals money saved over the long run. My example was not just exclusive to buying a product (PPK)...this is just an another example of them running their business in a very transparent fashion for most enthuisiasts. For the most part, the large percentage of typical buyers won't notice a thing.
      10-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #48
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Please go to the N54 forums and read up on all the firmware updates...with each one they have increased lag and created softer transitions...There was a pretty big uproar over it...like I said, all the magazine test cars and initial roll out vehicles are always tuned with more aggressive throttle etc. ...this changes after the they have been through a decent time cycle to be updated...less pressure on the car means less fixes under warranty for them. This equals money saved over the long run. My example was not just exclusive to buying a product (PPK)...this is just an another example of them running their business in a very transparent fashion for most enthuisiasts. For the most part, the large percentage of typical buyers won't notice a thing.
Never experienced anything like that, I've had a N54/N55 for years that got updates. To me all of this just sounds like conspiracy theories. Of course the cars get smoother the more you develop the software, that is the evolution part.

Well, I'll just enjoy my car and the free updates (and PPK) and the rest of you can stir up conspiracy theories online. No matter what each side says here we won't come to an agreement.

Over and out!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #49
Mafster
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335ix

My quick 2 cents. Had the ppk added today. I even went to a nother dealership to verify I feel n performance issu I feel no performance issue increase and am very disappointed thatI di and am very disappointed that I did this. I believe I am going to go ahead and start back up to an M and be done with it if some of you have if some of you have also had this PPK done and seen a big difference maybe I am missing something or maybe my dealer didn't do something correctly I am all ears thanks for your help Tom Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #50
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafster View Post
My quick 2 cents. Had the ppk added today. I even went to a nother dealership to verify I feel n performance issu I feel no performance issue increase and am very disappointed thatI di and am very disappointed that I did this. I believe I am going to go ahead and start back up to an M and be done with it if some of you have if some of you have also had this PPK done and seen a big difference maybe I am missing something or maybe my dealer didn't do something correctly I am all ears thanks for your help Tom Tom
Wow that was a hard read!
      10-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #51
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
I thought that the PPK is due only in November? How come you already got the PPK?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #52
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
That whole, "let's reflash cars that come in for service so the PPK seems worth it" seems a bit shady. ALthough, it does go along with my questioning, the exact gains that would be realized by the PPK. Since BMW has never released a dyno graph of a non PPK 335, and we know it's underrated at 300/300, and now we have a graph of the 'after PPK' saying it's xxx hp and xxxtq, what really are the gains? Is the PPK graph underrated also? If not, it's not much of an increase at all and probably not worth it (unless they start reflashing our cars to detune them).

Unless of course, the gains are truly gains above the underrated engine already... Ahh my head hurts. Can I have 350hp/350tq for $1k and keep my warranty?
The description states it makes the car 0.2s faster (to 62mph) than the current engine.... so it should be relative. If the current engine is underrated, so would this PPK upgrade be. Let's at least hope for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:03 AM   #53
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
OEM PPK is not even out yet.

What is this all about?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #54
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

What is this all about?

Cheers
Robin
Who knows, it's not even english.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #55
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
Who knows, it's not even english.
HHAHAHA.. Some dude just scammed him out of $1000.

Ya, I'll install the PPK for you <slaps hand-drawn //M sticker on engine cover>
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #56
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
WTF did I just read?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #57
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post

I don't things I don't think that someone the dealership away with don't think the dealer's ship could every away get with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #58
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedlak View Post
I don't things I don't think that someone the dealership away with don't think the dealer's ship could every away get with that.

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #59
tgF90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 Donington

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Let me know if this helps:

I had a stock 2007 335i. Now have a 2010 335xdrive M Sport with PPK and performance exhaust. Huge difference in performance IMO. Don't know the exact numbers but BMW ALWAYS underestimates HP and there is no reason they didn't underestimate the added HP with PPK and performance exhaust (which is supposed to add 5HP by itself). If I had to guess I would say the combo of the 2 packages added 35-40HP.

I just ordered a 2013 335Xi MSport with PPK (option Z3B) and Performance exhaust (option Z10). PPK price: MSRP $1370 (wholesale $930). Performance exhaust price: MSRP $1335 (wholesale $885).

To me the package is worth the extra $$ for the following reasons: I wanted the new M3 but cannot wait as my current lease is coming to an end. M5 a little pricey for me. As I am leasing, I get the extra kick and keep the warranty. I am only doing a 2 year lease on this one so I can get into the new M3.

Also, the new PPK and exhaust is just beginning production and none have made it to states yet, probably not until early December.

As far as the exhaust sound, I do not expect it to differ much from the performance exhaust kit I have now. It is a little loud for my tastes but just for the fact my wife dislikes it, makes it worthwhile. Keeps her from driving my car. No drone and sounds awesome at full throttle off the line. People notice.
2015 M3/Azurite Black
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #60
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg335 View Post

I had a stock 2007 335i. Now have a 2010 335xdrive M Sport with PPK and performance exhaust. Huge difference in performance IMO. Don't know the exact numbers but BMW ALWAYS underestimates HP and there is no reason they didn't underestimate the added HP with PPK and performance exhaust (which is supposed to add 5HP by itself). If I had to guess I would say the combo of the 2 packages added 35-40HP.

I just ordered a 2013 335Xi MSport with PPK (option Z3B) and Performance exhaust (option Z10). PPK price: MSRP $1370 (wholesale $930). Performance exhaust price: MSRP $1335 (wholesale $885).

To me the package is worth the extra $$ for the following reasons: I wanted the new M3 but cannot wait as my current lease is coming to an end. M5 a little pricey for me. As I am leasing, I get the extra kick and keep the warranty. I am only doing a 2 year lease on this one so I can get into the new M3.

Also, the new PPK and exhaust is just beginning production and none have made it to states yet, probably not until early December.

As far as the exhaust sound, I do not expect it to differ much from the performance exhaust kit I have now. It is a little loud for my tastes but just for the fact my wife dislikes it, makes it worthwhile. Keeps her from driving my car. No drone and sounds awesome at full throttle off the line. People notice.
The M Performance Exhaust is already here in the States. I, along with several other members, have it installed.

I hadn't heard anything about PPK pricing until I read your post.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #61
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Who knows what the PPK for F30 will bring. It's only rumored to be announced in November. If it's like the last one (for E90), underrated performance gains, 325bhp/335ft-lbs for $900 installed.

Hopefully, it'll have bigger gains, which I would gladly pay for to stay under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #62
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Dude its 20hp....you'll barely feel it.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #63
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
But you just have to feel it somehere in the powerband. The 30/50Nm torque gain as well.

Chers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #64
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
That whole, "let's reflash cars that come in for service so the PPK seems worth it" seems a bit shady. ALthough, it does go along with my questioning, the exact gains that would be realized by the PPK. Since BMW has never released a dyno graph of a non PPK 335, and we know it's underrated at 300/300, and now we have a graph of the 'after PPK' saying it's xxx hp and xxxtq, what really are the gains? Is the PPK graph underrated also? If not, it's not much of an increase at all and probably not worth it (unless they start reflashing our cars to detune them).

This would be lovely, but it wont happen. I doubt its going to be anywhere near 50hp/50tq. IF this was the case Im all over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

What is this all about?

Cheers
Robin
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
Exactly. For $2300 you get a little exhaust difference with the muffler and a tune to bump up your boost by 1psi to net you 20-25 hp. Talk about a lousy hp per dollar ratio. Its nice to keep the warranty and all but its made to rake $ in and keep everyone strung along IMO. They could do so much better for that amount of cash. Not trying to bash it but its just disappoints me.
      10-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #65
tgF90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 Donington

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
Exactly. For $2300 you get a little exhaust difference with the muffler and a tune to bump up your boost by 1psi to net you 20-25 hp. Talk about a lousy hp per dollar ratio. Its nice to keep the warranty and all but its made to rake $ in and keep everyone strung along IMO. They could do so much better for that amount of cash. Not trying to bash it but its just disappoints me. [/QUOTE]

Agree. BMW should be able to produce much more HP out of that engine for the same price but they know don't have to. They know that owners with the cash that want to keep warranties intact will pay more for minimal gain. That being said, I do notice a difference between the 2 engines. Prob not $2300 difference but I'll take it. If I did not lease my cars, I would most certainly do something else like procede, JB1, etc.
2015 M3/Azurite Black
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #66
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sequoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg335 View Post

Good information. I called my dealer and tried to add the Z3B to my order but they said it wasn't going to be available until 1st qtr 2013. How did you get it on your build? Did you dealer confirm the timing?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0