F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Midpipe / Res Delete Questions
GetBMWParts

09-09-2018, 02:58 AM   #1
340iTCP94
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Track Handling Package

Midpipe / Res Delete Questions

Hi everyone!

I had a couple of questions about some ideas I had to make my 340i a bit louder. I live in CA so a downpipe is not an option for me. I tried my best searching the forums and elsewhere for these answers.

1. I am interested in getting the Dinan midpipe for the 340i. From my understanding, that deletes both resonators as well as the secondary cats. Will the lack of secondary cats cause a noticeable smell? Will I be able to pass a smog check?

2. A second option would be to delete my resonators. However, I am not sure if I should delete only the larger resonator, or both of them. If any of you have sound clips, please send them my way. I am just not too sure if getting rid of both would be too loud.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iTCP94 View Post
Hi everyone!

I had a couple of questions about some ideas I had to make my 340i a bit louder. I live in CA so a downpipe is not an option for me. I tried my best searching the forums and elsewhere for these answers.

1. I am interested in getting the Dinan midpipe for the 340i. From my understanding, that deletes both resonators as well as the secondary cats. Will the lack of secondary cats cause a noticeable smell? Will I be able to pass a smog check?

2. A second option would be to delete my resonators. However, I am not sure if I should delete only the larger resonator, or both of them. If any of you have sound clips, please send them my way. I am just not too sure if getting rid of both would be too loud.

Thanks!
1. You only have one Cat hanging off the turbo, no secondary cats. There are indeed two resonators that have no effect on smog.

2. Depends on how loud you want to go but you can remove the first resonator to see how that sounds. Then if you want more remove the second one.

I did them in stages, both gone now. What I can say it's damn loud when staring up early in the morning but not excessively loud after warm up.
      09-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

You can always get a catted down-pipe. If you delete the resonators and still want more noise looking into swapping out the axle back.
      09-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #4
340iTCP94
Rep
Drives: 340i M-Track Handling Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIRCLING THE DRAIN View Post
1. You only have one Cat hanging off the turbo, no secondary cats. There are indeed two resonators that have no effect on smog.

2. Depends on how loud you want to go but you can remove the first resonator to see how that sounds. Then if you want more remove the second one.

I did them in stages, both gone now. What I can say it's damn loud when staring up early in the morning but not excessively loud after warm up.
Both the Dinan and AWE websites give emission warnings for their midpipes. I always thought a midpipe just removes the two resonators, but I just really want to confirm that it also doesn't remove the secondary cats (if those even exist).

Did you just go to an exhaust shop and basically have them make a custom midpipe for you? Are you happy with the results?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
BLACK HAWK DOWN
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16' AW 340i xDrive

Garage List
There's only one Cat, not sure what emissions they are talking about, sound emissions?

Yes, I went to an exhaust shop and had them replace the resonator sections with straight pipes.

Am I satisfied? Some days I am with the sound level and some days I wish it was quieter. I have a MPE so no valves.
      09-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
smrtphusr
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

If you have standard exhaust with valve its not loud at all until you engage sport mode and rip it above 4500rpm. Sometimes i wish it was little louder but theres option of adding dinan/awe mufflers down the road

I really think car should have sounded like this from factory you will enjoy it
Appreciate 0