F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i M Sport Shadow Edition Touring vs. 340i M Sport Touring
Studio RSR

06-13-2021, 02:05 AM   #1
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E30 318is

340i M Sport Shadow Edition Touring vs. 340i M Sport Touring

Hi Everyone, browsing through a lot of information on the UK F30 section I’m pleased to read that everyone seems helpful and collaborative and there’s a lot of rich information out there.

My reference point is the ClioTrophy.co.uk forum which are a helpful bunch. I’ve owned a 182 Trophy since 2008 and stay active on the forum, although it’s no longer in regular use and now a garage queen.

I’m hoping you can all help, be kind please as I may have a few dumb questions. BMW lingo is a whole new nomenclature I’m still learning. Here we go…

I’m in the market for a AUC LCI F31 340i. BMW don’t half make it a bewildering experience to work out what the car has and has not got from standard.

I’ve kept my eyes open on the classifieds over the past month or so and tried to learn as much as I can, but now is when I need to draw on the ‘hive mind’ of the BimmerPost to crowd source some information to ensure I’m doing the right thing and not making any silly mistakes!

What it seems I should be looking for:

- M-Sport Shadow Edition (M Sport brakes, 704 M’s, Harman Kardon, Sun protection glass, darkened light clusters, smoked chrome exhaust tips, extended storage, full black panel display)
- 340i M Sport element of the Shadow Edition also comes with the eight speed ZF and metallic paint, in Black Sapphire, Estoril Blue, Glacier Silver, Melbourne Red, Mineral Grey or Sunset Orange. Personally I think it would have looked amazing in Mediterranean Blue too, but sadly not an option.

Then on top of the ‘basics’ in a Shadow Edition pleasant to have in no particular order:

- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Advanced Parking Pack, if not pack then the Reversing camera and Park Assist
- Extended mirrors - folding and auto dimming
- Interior comfort package - Heated seats and steering wheel.
- BMW Professional Media package (Navigation etc. I think means the larger display too)
- Extended Lighting - High beam assistant, LED’s, guide me home lighting
- Panoramic sunroof
- Electric tow bar (would love that, however I suspect few came with one spec’d)
- Head restraints, rear and folding

I’m not bothered about Adaptive Suspension having read a lot on the forums. I’ll just put some 18” 405M wheels on it should I seek comfort, or keep the 19” 704 M’s and remove the run flats.

Can anyone guide me as to what I should hope to look for and if there are things people love that they couldn’t live without?

Basically, what spec is fully loaded with all the stuff you’d want?

Beyond all this, having done a lot of reading about the scare stories of the Bimmercodes voiding warranties and the poor guy that had a ‘clocked’ AUC, before paying any balance post deposit I should be asking the dealer for:

- All servicing logged in iDrive and on BMW servers
- ISTA (4.24.X) full scan using the FASTA data and paperwork to prove done and nothing fishy found
- All recalls accounted for
- All software up-to-date
- All software on the latest versions
- Making sure all the tool kits and first aid kits present.

Are there any other things that should be in it as standard similar to tool kits e.g. cans of tyre foam etc. that could have gone missing I should check for?

HUGE thanks to you all for reading and anyone willing to provide guidance!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:37 AM   #2
Deep Pan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I cant offer much help as I've only just came to an f series car after having E series.
One thing I'd definitely wouldn't have bought a car without is the HK audio, much better than base spec and will help resale after, if I saw a car without hk audio it was immediately off my short list.
I believe the m-sport bit also adds steering wheel paddles for the gearbox. There was a lovely red estate on pistonheads a while ago which had neither of the above so was a no from me.. unfortunately, as everything else was what I wanted.

Just for perspective, my must haves were:
Touring or gran coupe
Hk audio
Sport gearbox
Reverse camera
Colour combo I liked.
Sport (blue) calipers
Minimum 19" wheels
Full digital instrument cluster

I ended up with all of the above + (munus the instrument cluster).

Hud
Comfort access
40/20/40 split rear seats
20" 405m wheels
Adaptive Led headlights
Adaptive suspension
Half digital instrument cluster
Carbon splitters, front lip, rear spoiler
Side skirts and side decals.

I'm not 100% on this but I think the full digital cluster comes with the business media package? I don't know what else that brings as I dont seem to be missing any options on the idrive.. hopefully someone else can elaborate on this.

Oh and I think they all come with runflats over having tyre foam but again on not sure on this.

Hope that is of some help to you.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
goram
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d xDrive Touring

I was after a 335d or 340i touring.

My must haves were:

MSport
Pro nav
HK
Adaptive suspension if a 335d
Reversing camera

My wish list was:

Pan roof
Comfort access
Interior comfort
Electric tow bar

I ended up with all my wish list and an electric tow bar. Deep down, I knew I’d be very lucky to find a 340i, but I love the 335d and with the miles I do it’s a better fit in all honesty.

I’m booked in on Tuesday to have a black grill, carbon mirror caps and a rear diffuser fitted. I’ll be satisfied then!
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #4
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

340i Touring only come as M-Sport and with Sports Auto gearbox. (ZF8 with flappy paddles)
Shadow Edition (August 2017 on) will come with pretty much the same basic spec as a pre Shadow Edition with the M-Sport Plus pack (big brakes, HK, sun protection), but the Shadow will have black wing mirrors, different wheel and slightly tinted rear lenses.

I think your option list is pretty good and covers most of the bases. If you can find one with the M Performance Power and Sound Kit (referred to on here as MPPSK and pretty much pre-2018), that is an excellent addition.

Just remember post April 2017 build, you’ll be hit with the massive £480ish road tax until the car is 6 years old.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Pan View Post
I cant offer much help as I've only just came to an f series car after having E series.
One thing I'd definitely wouldn't have bought a car without is the HK audio, much better than base spec and will help resale after, if I saw a car without hk audio it was immediately off my short list.
I believe the m-sport bit also adds steering wheel paddles for the gearbox. There was a lovely red estate on pistonheads a while ago which had neither of the above so was a no from me.. unfortunately, as everything else was what I wanted.

Just for perspective, my must haves were:
Touring or gran coupe
Hk audio
Sport gearbox
Reverse camera
Colour combo I liked.
Sport (blue) calipers
Minimum 19" wheels
Full digital instrument cluster

I ended up with all of the above + (munus the instrument cluster).

Hud
Comfort access
40/20/40 split rear seats
20" 405m wheels
Adaptive Led headlights
Adaptive suspension
Half digital instrument cluster
Carbon splitters, front lip, rear spoiler
Side skirts and side decals.

I'm not 100% on this but I think the full digital cluster comes with the business media package? I don't know what else that brings as I dont seem to be missing any options on the idrive.. hopefully someone else can elaborate on this.

Oh and I think they all come with runflats over having tyre foam but again on not sure on this.

Hope that is of some help to you.
Yes, the HK was a must for me having read about it. With the Shadow Edition, similar to M Sport + package, it comes as standard. Similarly, the M Sport 340i comes with the Sport Automatic 'box, the eight speed ZF with flappy paddles behind the steering wheel as standard; also the M Sport brakes.

I'm not fussed about things like HUD or adaptive suspension. I'm a bit of a purist driver so fixed rate dampers is fine for me. Likely lower maintenance costs in future I'd suspect.

I think you're correct about the Pro Media coming with the Full Black Panel Display. The Shadow Edition also comes with FBP as standard, the functionality of the Media Pack being an extra.

Yep, run flats all around. I was thinking about getting rid of them and then picking up the BMW tyre foam kit for the boot.

Sounds like you got a great spec. Many thanks for your thoughts and insight.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goram View Post
I was after a 335d or 340i touring.

My must haves were:

MSport
Pro nav
HK
Adaptive suspension if a 335d
Reversing camera

My wish list was:

Pan roof
Comfort access
Interior comfort
Electric tow bar

I ended up with all my wish list and an electric tow bar. Deep down, I knew I’d be very lucky to find a 340i, but I love the 335d and with the miles I do it’s a better fit in all honesty.

I’m booked in on Tuesday to have a black grill, carbon mirror caps and a rear diffuser fitted. I’ll be satisfied then!
Love that you managed to get the tow bar. Great find.

Your must have sound similar to mine, bar the adaptive suspension as I'm only after a 340i. When you've added the elements you want on Tuesday it sounds spot on.

If I was to add something it would probably be the full electric memory seats, very handy if a family vehicle.

What's Comfort Access? Is that when you can have the engine start remotely so it get's the AC on to warm/cool the interior depending on the season?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #7
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
340i Touring only come as M-Sport and with Sports Auto gearbox. (ZF8 with flappy paddles)
Shadow Edition (August 2017 on) will come with pretty much the same basic spec as a pre Shadow Edition with the M-Sport Plus pack (big brakes, HK, sun protection), but the Shadow will have black wing mirrors, different wheel and slightly tinted rear lenses.

I think your option list is pretty good and covers most of the bases. If you can find one with the M Performance Power and Sound Kit (referred to on here as MPPSK and pretty much pre-2018), that is an excellent addition.

Just remember post April 2017 build, you’ll be hit with the massive £480ish road tax until the car is 6 years old.
Thanks Malone. I didn't know the Shadow Edition was the same/similar to M Sport Plus pack, but with different wheels and 'shadow' elements like tinted lenses, dark chrome exhaust tips etc. M Sport Plus pack isn't something I've come across at all in the classifieds AUC or otherwise.

I managed to find a 2018 3 Series Price list on the web this afternoon, which has been super helpful. I think if I can find the options I listed with anything extra I'd be very happy.

The MPPSK is something I have considered. However, it's going to spend a lot of time in London, so a post 2018 with the OPK fitted may keep me the right side of the ULEZ a little longer. Although I know the 340i is ULEZ compliant and Euro 6.

I'm a bit unsure on the MPPSK for long journey's too. I really don't want any droning and lots of cabin noise. I know I'll have the HK to turn up and drown the noise out, but that's not the idea

The road tax is a nightmare isn't it. I didn't know about the additional cost due to original value being above a threshold. You're right, it is £480 a year.

I've come across a couple of interesting cars. One has a few orange/amber in the AIR service record and the other car two red. The two red both relate to oil and what looks like a filter of some sort. See photo below.

I assume red is something being done late? Possibly due to COVID as BMW service wasn't open? Anything to be too concerned about?

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #8
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Black panel display was standard on the Shadow Edition. Not sure about the M Sport Plus pack though. This is basically regular mechanical dials with the larger LCD at the bottom. Full digital dash was an option, but only about £250 when the car was new. I chose the mechanical dials when I ordered mine, and I’m still happy with that decision.

Don’t discount the HUD either. It’s something I’d really miss now I’ve had it. Surround view is also something that sounds like a gimmick, but is actually brilliant. Way better than the rear view camera alone.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 01:46 AM   #9
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
Black panel display was standard on the Shadow Edition. Not sure about the M Sport Plus pack though. This is basically regular mechanical dials with the larger LCD at the bottom. Full digital dash was an option, but only about £250 when the car was new. I chose the mechanical dials when I ordered mine, and I’m still happy with that decision.

Don’t discount the HUD either. It’s something I’d really miss now I’ve had it. Surround view is also something that sounds like a gimmick, but is actually brilliant. Way better than the rear view camera alone.
Thanks Ian. I was curious exactly what the Full Black panel display was, thinking it was the ability to use the full width of the centre dash screen vs. only some of it showing information. I didn't realise it was main dashboard related.

The cars I've looked at all had the mechanical dials and large LCD at the bottom. Good to know the difference.

I think the full digital dash option you refer to was called the Digital Cockpit. I've not seen a fully digital dash IRL, only pictures. Like you, I'd go for the mechanical if I had a preference.

Originally I thought the lower digital dash was the M Sport Instrument Cluster, not the Full Black panel display. BMW don't make it easy!

I saw Surround-view on the price list, but it wasn't in a pack, so was curious. It was a £500 option. I guess more cameras to give you the 'surround view'.

I note a 340i Shadow Edition comes with Park Distance Control front and rear as standard, so with a Reversing Assist camera I thought you'd be pretty covered.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:27 AM   #10
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Think you'll find that 18" 405M wheels are not a staggered set up and generally used as the recommended winter wheel option from BMW. 704M's or 442M's in 19" and non run flats are fine for comfort.

In a shadow edition you generally get all the bits of the M sport plus pack as it was the run out edition of the car, but each car will vary as there are many options. For me the key additions are
- electric memory seats
- lumbar support
- heated seats
- heated steering wheel
- head up display (doesn't work with polarised sunglasses)
- professional nav / HK
- elec fold / dim mirrors
- extended storage if you have an F31
- park sensors.

I have reverse camera but it's not brilliant or practical in the estate as the back get covered in muck too easily, so really don't use it.

Would have liked the pan roof (in the estate only)

MPPSK you may like in comfort mode OK in sport mode valves open it just becomes a straight through exhaust... noisey!!

M Performace back box option - no valves and does drone on the motorway (not such a good option IMO)

What ever you choose there will always be some things off the wish list missing but you'll soon get used to it ....or do what everyone else seems to do and get modding or retrofit items.

Good luck in your search
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #11
Deep Pan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Interesting you say the mpe drones on the motorway. Is that 1st hand experience or an assumption as it's not valved? My first drive home with an mpe (over 100 miles) it never struck me as being droney.
Even my mother in law never complained when taking her somewhere long distance and she's the type that would!

Last edited by Deep Pan; 06-14-2021 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #12
goram
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-tone525 View Post
Love that you managed to get the tow bar. Great find.

Your must have sound similar to mine, bar the adaptive suspension as I'm only after a 340i. When you've added the elements you want on Tuesday it sounds spot on.

If I was to add something it would probably be the full electric memory seats, very handy if a family vehicle.

What's Comfort Access? Is that when you can have the engine start remotely so it get's the AC on to warm/cool the interior depending on the season?
The tow bar is fantastic for the kids bikes. So much easier than putting them in the roof!

Electric seats are surprisingly rare, but it seems to be a stingy BMW trait!

Comfort access is keyless entry and exit. You can open the boot too by putting your foot under the bumper. The last time I had that was on a Renaultsport Megane. What a car that was!

I’ll post pics of 335d after it’s had its cosmetic surgery tomorrow!
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 07:16 AM   #13
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-tone525 View Post
I saw Surround-view on the price list, but it wasn't in a pack, so was curious. It was a £500 option. I guess more cameras to give you the 'surround view'.
Surround view adds a couple of cameras in the bottom of the side mirrors. This combined with the rear view camera gives a very good top down view of the car while manoeuvring. You can see how close your wheels are to the curb and exactly where you are in parking bays. Makes it super easy to park.

It would be nice if they added a front camera for 360 degree coverage, but back and sides is still extremely good. I never use the rear view on its own.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #14
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Pan View Post
Interesting you say the mpe drones on the motorway. Is that 1st hand experience or an assumption as it's not valved? My first drive home with an mpe (over 100 miles) it never struck me as being droney.
Even my mother in law never complained when taking her somewhere long distance and she's the type that would!
First hand experience.

Bought one fitted it, everything was good except for the fact that in comfort (so 8th gear), sitting on a crusing road at a steady 70/80 it would drone, especially if you just wanted a slight press on the accelerator to gently increase speed.

Put it in sports mode so 7th gear, revs were a little higher so not so bad. I'm all for haveing some fun and noise, but having an exhaust on a car where it's a PIA to cruse in 8th was pointless, especially as a lot of my journeys are over 200 miles.

Took it off after 2 weeks & sold it. Standard 340i exhaust with flap permanently open, no drone and still sounds nice.

Just my experience, I appreciate others may find different.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #15
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
First hand experience.

Bought one fitted it, everything was good except for the fact that in comfort (so 8th gear), sitting on a crusing road at a steady 70/80 it would drone, especially if you just wanted a slight press on the accelerator to gently increase speed.

Put it in sports mode so 7th gear, revs were a little higher so not so bad. I'm all for haveing some fun and noise, but having an exhaust on a car where it's a PIA to cruse in 8th was pointless, especially as a lot of my journeys are over 200 miles.

Took it off after 2 weeks & sold it. Standard 340i exhaust with flap permanently open, no drone and still sounds nice.

Just my experience, I appreciate others may find different.
The mppsk would be the better option here in that case. There's virtually no drone at cruising speeds.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #16
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bars111 View Post
The mppsk would be the better option here in that case. There's virtually no drone at cruising speeds.
Yes agreed, but not for me I decided at the time, maybe a little remap at some point.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #17
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Some points that I think are useful for people looking at the 340i:
  • 18 wheels with decent non RF tyres: 18's for go, 19's for show.
  • Pro nav: Essential, standard nav screen is just horrid in comparison.
  • Heated seats: Nice and adds a 'luxury' option to what is essentialy a car in that category.
  • Comfort access: I don't have and don't miss. Security concerns etc.
  • MPPSK: Gives no drone in comfort so don't let that put you off the system, I've just done 500 motorway miles with bikes on the roof, no issue at all.. It's excellent and IMO a very desirable option on a pre OPF car. If the car is a keeper I think these will hold value better than the non MPPSK cars. They can be installed at a dealer for around 1500 and I suspect once sold out, will never be seen again.
  • Pan roof: I would really like that.
  • Digital dash: I would like that too, just for the fancy looks.
  • Blue callipers: Some early cars (mine included) had these missed off due to supply issues at the time (apparently) I'm slightly jealous of the blue caliper cars but all 340i still have at least the front 340mm ///m calipers, just not painted blue.
  • Adaptive dampers: I've never used so not best to comment. But I've never found the standard to be any bother.
Appreciate 2
Alscoob2081.50
      06-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #18
richieboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Ive recently bought a 340i touring and my must haves were:

M Sport Plus Pack - So you get the Harmon Kardon system and the upgraded brakes which are both essential imo in a car like this.
Profession Navigation - Much nicer to use than business.
Panorama Glass Roof - Brightens up the cabin and makes long journeys more manageable for the kids in the back as feels less claustrophobic.
Electic Memory Seats - The Mrs drives the car too so it’s nice not to have to move the seats every time I get in the car.

In addition I ended up with:

HUD - It’s ok but wouldn’t be bothered if I never had again. I wear polarised sunglasses a lot when driving so can’t really see it anyway.
Adaptive Suspension- Really like this. In comfort it’s really comfortable even with 19’s and runflats where the standard can sometimes feel a bit harsh with them. In sport it tightens up nicely if required.
Reversing Camera - Great addition and find it really useful. Would definitely want again.
Lumbar Support - Helps get the seat just right.
Heated Seats - Not used yet but had in my last car and they’re nice in the winter.
Folding and Dipping Mirrors - Nice to have but not essential.

I had comfort access, adaptive headlights and active cruise control in my 335i. The active cruise was great. As was the adaptive lights but I don’t miss the comfort access and wouldn’t want again due to theft.

The B58 seems pretty reliable so as long as it’s been serviced on time you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. I usually buy private and you can get a feel for the owner and history of the car and have bought my last 2 BMW’s through the forums.

Mine came with a transferable BMW fully comprehensive warranty that I will probably keep going just for piece of mind.

Last edited by richieboy; 06-14-2021 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #19
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
Think you'll find that 18" 405M wheels are not a staggered set up and generally used as the recommended winter wheel option from BMW. 704M's or 442M's in 19" and non run flats are fine for comfort.

In a shadow edition you generally get all the bits of the M sport plus pack as it was the run out edition of the car, but each car will vary as there are many options. For me the key additions are
- electric memory seats
- lumbar support
- heated seats
- heated steering wheel
- head up display (doesn't work with polarised sunglasses)
- professional nav / HK
- elec fold / dim mirrors
- extended storage if you have an F31
- park sensors.

I have reverse camera but it's not brilliant or practical in the estate as the back get covered in muck too easily, so really don't use it.

Would have liked the pan roof (in the estate only)

MPPSK you may like in comfort mode OK in sport mode valves open it just becomes a straight through exhaust... noisey!!

M Performace back box option - no valves and does drone on the motorway (not such a good option IMO)

What ever you choose there will always be some things off the wish list missing but you'll soon get used to it ....or do what everyone else seems to do and get modding or retrofit items.

Good luck in your search
Yes, I saw the 18" 405 M weren't staggered and the recommended winter wheel. However, I recall reading in EVO many years ago about the M3 always being a better handling car on 18's than 19's, plus the removal of the run-flat element on the F31, leading me to believe the 18" could be a good option. I have no evidence to substantiate this though Of course the 19" on non-run-flat could be great option too.

- Lumbar support is a good one I'd not thought of. I thought the seats likely pretty comfortable as standard, perhaps not/can be improved.

I think the rest of the list, bar HUD, pretty key for me too.

Good point about the camera lens getting dirty easily.

Sounds like if I go with a pre June '18 car without the OPF and consider an exhaust change the only one to go for is the MPPSK. Particularly as you can control the values via the driving mode. Droning is very much out for me, so therefore is the back box alone option.

Thanks for the best wishes. They're like hens teeth at the moment. Independent traders seem to want more for them then BMW AUC...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #20
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goram View Post
The tow bar is fantastic for the kids bikes. So much easier than putting them in the roof!

Electric seats are surprisingly rare, but it seems to be a stingy BMW trait!

Comfort access is keyless entry and exit. You can open the boot too by putting your foot under the bumper. The last time I had that was on a Renaultsport Megane. What a car that was!

I’ll post pics of 335d after it’s had its cosmetic surgery tomorrow!
I would so like a tow bar. I have a 'collection' of old French tin that sometimes needs ferrying about and I'm usually having to hire a van to tow a trailer at least once a year.

BMW being stingy is something I'm learning. They're almost as bad as Porsche with everything having to be an option.

Thanks for clarifying keyless entry. Similar to my old Renault Sport Clio 200 then. That was a fob in the pocket, sensor behind door handle and push start. No key.

I didn't think the 340i needed a key though. I guess you still have to press the button on the fob to open the door rather than just pull the handle is what the difference is.

How did the cosmetic surgery go?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:23 AM   #21
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
Surround view adds a couple of cameras in the bottom of the side mirrors. This combined with the rear view camera gives a very good top down view of the car while manoeuvring. You can see how close your wheels are to the curb and exactly where you are in parking bays. Makes it super easy to park.

It would be nice if they added a front camera for 360 degree coverage, but back and sides is still extremely good. I never use the rear view on its own.
Good to know. Many thanks. Sounds like a super helpful addition. Especially if a family car driven by other who are, how shall I put it, not the best at parallel parking
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #22
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M33DLO View Post
Some points that I think are useful for people looking at the 340i:
  • 18 wheels with decent non RF tyres: 18's for go, 19's for show.
  • Pro nav: Essential, standard nav screen is just horrid in comparison.
  • Heated seats: Nice and adds a 'luxury' option to what is essentialy a car in that category.
  • Comfort access: I don't have and don't miss. Security concerns etc.
  • MPPSK: Gives no drone in comfort so don't let that put you off the system, I've just done 500 motorway miles with bikes on the roof, no issue at all.. It's excellent and IMO a very desirable option on a pre OPF car. If the car is a keeper I think these will hold value better than the non MPPSK cars. They can be installed at a dealer for around 1500 and I suspect once sold out, will never be seen again.
  • Pan roof: I would really like that.
  • Digital dash: I would like that too, just for the fancy looks.
  • Blue callipers: Some early cars (mine included) had these missed off due to supply issues at the time (apparently) I'm slightly jealous of the blue caliper cars but all 340i still have at least the front 340mm ///m calipers, just not painted blue.
  • Adaptive dampers: I've never used so not best to comment. But I've never found the standard to be any bother.
Love that. 18's for go, 19's for show - indeed. I always thought all those EVO journalists must see something in the 18's on the M3.

I think I'm totally aligned with your view on the options. Media Package as BMW Professional a must. For things like getting CarPlay with it too, as well as the entire real estate of the screen being used.

Likewise, not bothered about comfort access.

The MPPSK does seem tempting. To your point, the like of which will never be seen again. However, I don't see many pre June 2018 Shadow Editions around and most have the OPF fitted.

Good intel on the blue calipers being missing on some. I did see that in pictures in ads and assumed those 340i's didn't have the M Sport brakes due to it.

Totally with you re adaptive. I have the feeling it may just annoy me as I'm not in charge. That's just perception bias as I've never driven an adaptive car.

Thanks for the views. Helpful.
Appreciate 0