F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i M Sport Shadow Edition Touring vs. 340i M Sport Touring
ARMA SPEED

06-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #23
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Personally, I love our adaptive suspension. It’s nice and smooth in comfort mode and then stiffens up in sport mode and feels more planted for b-road fun
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2021, 06:11 AM   #24
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-tone525 View Post

Sounds like if I go with a pre June '18 car without the OPF and consider an exhaust change the only one to go for is the MPPSK. Particularly as you can control the values via the driving mode. Droning is very much out for me, so therefore is the back box alone option.
The other option to consider is the Remus exhaust that is also valved and can be fitted to pre & post OPF cars, they do a back box only version, but don't know if its OPF friendly, they don't drone at all so I'm told. Occasionally come up for sale second hand.

This video clip maight help. https://youtu.be/temLGNdtJ4c

Left MPPSK - Right standard, middle Remus - first run in comfort 2nd in sport, quite a good comparison.

Cheers.
Appreciate 3
M33DLO361.00
g9icy340.50
      06-17-2021, 09:41 AM   #25
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E30 318is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
The other option to consider is the Remus exhaust that is also valved and can be fitted to pre & post OPF cars, they do a back box only version, but don't know if its OPF friendly, they don't drone at all so I'm told. Occasionally come up for sale second hand.

Left MPPSK - Right standard, middle Remus - first run in comfort 2nd in sport, quite a good comparison.

Cheers.
I'm usually a bit of an OEM freak to be honest. It would either be Genuine BMW or I'd not bother I suspect. Having the MPPSK isn't that important to me either. Fun to have, but for a road car not that important - to me.

I have competition car which is where modifications go - that that I have time to use it anymore. I've never really been a road car modifier, but can see why some people are.

Again, many thanks for your very helpful and welcomed perspectives. It's all great stuff to know.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #26
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Personally, I love our adaptive suspension. It’s nice and smooth in comfort mode and then stiffens up in sport mode and feels more planted for b-road fun
Good to hear your view on adaptive.

TBH I've not actually seen a 340i on the second hand market with adaptive suspension yet. Maybe one.

Seem to be rare beasts. Like ones with OEM electric tow bars!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 01:13 PM   #27
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-tone525 View Post
Good to hear your view on adaptive.

TBH I've not actually seen a 340i on the second hand market with adaptive suspension yet. Maybe one.

Seem to be rare beasts. Like ones with OEM electric tow bars!
I seem to recall when we spec’d ours, the OEM tow bar seemed an expensive option - you’d need to be seriously into towing to have warranted the cost!!

Maybe adaptive is more something you’d spec if the car would be a keeper, rather than handing it back after 3 or 4 years. Each option has a value on the GFV - most of them are £0 😂 (although the dealer then increases the used sale price because of the optional extras!)
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #28
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Quote:

Cheers.
Cool vid.!

MPPSK has that well and truly in the bag..

MPPSK on the left sounds just like the standard on the right, in Comfort mode.
But the difference is stark when the loud button is pressed. That's the beauty of it with it's 2 very different results.
The Remus does sound a little fruitier in Comfort but not as extreme in Sport than the MPPSK.

The Remus is a single pipe going to the back box with a single valve. The exhaust gases still go through the rear box when the valve is open.
The MPPSK has a whole load of pipework before the back box with 2 valves that delete the back box entirely when open. Much more pipework.

The (current £1500 ish) cost for a fully warrantied cat back system that has the ability to be quiet but also antisocial is a big factor too. Ohh and dont forget the extra 40hp remap and the active sound removal during the remap (makes a bigger difference than you'd think and actually makes it quieter inside, sort of). Ohh and the little sticker in the engine bay.
What that video doesnt show is the rapid gunfire on the over run at 4500rpm, which is enabled by the ecu remap.
It's a bargain compared to the Remus.

Last edited by M33DLO; 06-17-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
Alscoob2090.50
      06-18-2021, 09:09 AM   #29
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Cheers.
That's an awesome video and super helpful. It reaffirms OEM is the only way for me. As much as the MPPSK sounds amazing and gives the very handy extra bhp, the standard exhaust isn't too bad either.

I'd rather have the standard over the Remus. The Remus is zero contest to the MPPSK and honestly the standard almost sounds better than the Remus - as much as standard is muted from a volume perspective.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #30
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
I seem to recall when we spec’d ours, the OEM tow bar seemed an expensive option - you’d need to be seriously into towing to have warranted the cost!!

Maybe adaptive is more something you’d spec if the car would be a keeper, rather than handing it back after 3 or 4 years. Each option has a value on the GFV - most of them are £0 😂 (although the dealer then increases the used sale price because of the optional extras!)
Yes, there were two tow bar options. The electric tow bar was £750 from factory as an option, only available with the eight speed auto or Sport auto gearboxes.

There is an OEM BMW one which is permanently fixed. Far cheaper. Has to be fitted after purchase as I couldn't see it as an option on the sales brochure.

I don't know why one would spec adaptive if it was a keeper vs. standard. To me it's all about the driving of it. To spec the adaptive it would have to be better to drive short or long-term for me.

Totally get why people might not based on initial cost increase.

Classic BMW on the GFV - fully loaded with ££££ of extras? Yea, zero back on that mate, thanks, hand it over.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #31
Two-tone525
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieboy View Post
Ive recently bought a 340i touring and my must haves were:

M Sport Plus Pack - So you get the Harmon Kardon system and the upgraded brakes which are both essential imo in a car like this.
Profession Navigation - Much nicer to use than business.
Panorama Glass Roof - Brightens up the cabin and makes long journeys more manageable for the kids in the back as feels less claustrophobic.
Electic Memory Seats - The Mrs drives the car too so it’s nice not to have to move the seats every time I get in the car.

In addition I ended up with:

HUD - It’s ok but wouldn’t be bothered if I never had again. I wear polarised sunglasses a lot when driving so can’t really see it anyway.
Adaptive Suspension- Really like this. In comfort it’s really comfortable even with 19’s and runflats where the standard can sometimes feel a bit harsh with them. In sport it tightens up nicely if required.
Reversing Camera - Great addition and find it really useful. Would definitely want again.
Lumbar Support - Helps get the seat just right.
Heated Seats - Not used yet but had in my last car and they’re nice in the winter.
Folding and Dipping Mirrors - Nice to have but not essential.

I had comfort access, adaptive headlights and active cruise control in my 335i. The active cruise was great. As was the adaptive lights but I don’t miss the comfort access and wouldn’t want again due to theft.

The B58 seems pretty reliable so as long as it’s been serviced on time you shouldn’t have anything to worry about. I usually buy private and you can get a feel for the owner and history of the car and have bought my last 2 BMW’s through the forums.

Mine came with a transferable BMW fully comprehensive warranty that I will probably keep going just for piece of mind.
I'd agree on your must haves. If I go with a Shadow Edition the M Sport Plus pack is included. Definitely must have this if not a Shadow Edition model.

I didn't see business navigation as an option in the Media Package choices, only BMW Professional or BMW Professional Plus. Media Package Professional is a must have for me. With Apple Car Play, which I think wasn't actually included with the Professional or Professional Plus Media Packs and had to be paid for as a £235 extra option.

Someone please correct me if Apple Car Play is included in the Pro Media pack - you'd hope it would be.

Panoramic and Electric Seats are both great to have, but they just aren't out there on the available cars right now. So I could probably live without, and may have to.

- HUD I'm not bothered by;
- Adaptive Suspension I'm also not bothered by;
- Reversing Camera is a big yes for me, although as others have said the lens will get dirty, which can always be wiped if required.
- Heated seats is a yes and most seem to have them fitted as it was a cheap option along with the heated wheel. Many seemed to have the Interior Comfort Pack, which includes those two items and Extended Storage (ES was standard with a Shadow Edition).
- Folding and dipping mirrors also seems to be on many of the 340i's as it was a cheap option. I think you can also retro code them in with Bimmercodes, but beware voiding a BMW warranty as has been discussed on the forum elsewhere.
- Comfort access also doesn't bother me.
- I go hot and cold on cruise control. I've actually found I can get better mpg driving cars myself than sticking them in cruise control. It is pleasant to be able to move your legs around on a long journey and not have to maintain the same position hours on end, that's a definite advantage of cruise control.

All the cars I've looked at have been serviced on time, bar a week late oil change on the screen shot shared before. Could have been due to COVID too, as it was at that time when garages were closed.

Private buying is great, especially if there is a transferable BMW warranty. Again, unfortunately, there are no private sale ads out there in the usual places right now.

Sounds like you've got a great example. Well done in finding it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #32
richieboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

My bad. It's not actually called business nav anymore. Its called BMW navigation that they all come with as standard that has the smaller screen and then you can option professional media which gives you the bigger screen.

I haven't noticed my reversing camera lens getting too dirty to use in the 4 months or so Ive had mine. Im sure with normal cleaning they are fine.

Most options you can live without but they do make the car a nicer place to be and more desirable come resale. If there's any options you really want you should wait until the right car comes up. Theres not much out there at the mo though so depends on if you're in a position to wait.

Im sure a service just outside the schedule would do no harm but if you wanted one with a warranty I'm not sure how much grace if any you would get if you needed any work done.

You could try putting a wanted advert up here to see if anyones thinking of selling theirs? Might get first dibs on a good one.
Appreciate 0