F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > How much offset will change steering/handling/feel
GetBMWParts

09-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
daac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive Msport

How much offset will change steering/handling/feel

Been reading many post about wheel offset and how it changes handling but I haven't found a consensus on how it will change the steering and chassis dynamics. It seems like there are so many people running close to stock et35 then there's the et30ish and the et25ish. It would seem the only reason to go beyond 30 would be to get concave in the wheel which is what I would prefer. How do people running lowered offsets feel it has effected the handling of there car? Improved or detracted? Better feel too much feel? At what offset do changes really start to be noticed.

340ix
kW SC on it's way.
Plan on going square to lessen the understeer.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by daac View Post
Been reading many post about wheel offset and how it changes handling but I haven't found a consensus on how it will change the steering and chassis dynamics. It seems like there are so many people running close to stock et35 then there's the et30ish and the et25ish. It would seem the only reason to go beyond 30 would be to get concave in the wheel which is what I would prefer. How do people running lowered offsets feel it has effected the handling of there car? Improved or detracted? Better feel too much feel? At what offset do changes really start to be noticed.

340ix
kW SC on it's way.
Plan on going square to lessen the understeer.
Is there such a thing as too much feel? Haha. Your coilovers will obviously provide a bigger difference. Upgrading tires will also have a discernible affect.

Offsets are primarily a function of fitment. To push/pull a wheel out/in in relation to the fender. In my experience, adding spacers (which is essentially lowering the offset) to my stock wheels did seem to give my car a slightly more planted feel in corners. I had 12mm in the front, 15mm in the rear, which basically widens the track by 24mm and 30mm respectively.

I'm now on a square set of four OEM 437M fronts (19x9 et29) and the difference seems discernible to me, but it could also be that I'm on Michelin PS4Ss. Anyways, a cheap way to test it might be to put on some spacers and see how the reduced offset affects the handling for you.
      09-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

I put ET20 on mine, square set up. I love how it handles but since I also went from 18" to 19" and wider I can't really say what the specific offset effect was if any.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Is there such a thing as too much feel? Haha. Your coilovers will obviously provide a bigger difference. Upgrading tires will also have a discernible affect.

Offsets are primarily a function of fitment. To push/pull a wheel out/in in relation to the fender. In my experience, adding spacers (which is essentially lowering the offset) to my stock wheels did seem to give my car a slightly more planted feel in corners. I had 12mm in the front, 15mm in the rear, which basically widens the track by 24mm and 30mm respectively.

I'm now on a square set of four OEM 437M fronts (19x9 et29) and the difference seems discernible to me, but it could also be that I'm on Michelin PS4Ss. Anyways, a cheap way to test it might be to put on some spacers and see how the reduced offset affects the handling for you.
What difference did you notice between 12mm (et24 equivalent) front spacers and the et29 wheels? I was thinking if doing exactly that get 10mm front spaces and see how different the handling and breaking is.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
daac
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
I put ET20 on mine, square set up. I love how it handles but since I also went from 18" to 19" and wider I can't really say what the specific offset effect was if any.
So no negatives from the change as far as you can tell?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daac View Post
So no negatives from the change as far as you can tell?
Not at all, I love how it handles. I do have my tires wider than most people would like so they poke out a bit past the fenders but it's just like my '70 Dodge Challenger back in the day and I like how it looks.

Anyway I wouldn't change a thing, I have coilovers set stiff and it feels great when I get into the corner a bit and go wot, simply amazing to me!
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 1