F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Fueling and BEF supporting mod requirements for turbo upgrade
Studio RSR

09-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Fueling and BEF supporting mod requirements for turbo upgrade

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, I've been doing my research but still need some confirmation, especially as the fueling solution situation has continued to develop. If there is a good sticky that has all this info in one place, please let me know.

Current vehicle is 2016 340i xDrive 45K miles
-MPPSK
-Intake
-Catless DP
-JB4
-Running 93 octane pump gas and have access to -100 race gas

I do daily the car, and would like to continue to do so.

Trying to decide between a stage 1 and stage 2 turbo upgrade and want to better understand the supporting mods. I think I would go Pure Turbo.

I believe my options are:

STAGE 1
1. Drop in stage 1 with my current bolt-ons, but in order to maintain safe AFRs the boost would be limited due to internal fuel cap.

2. Stage 1 plus back-end flash would make the most of existing platform fueling capabilities and unlock additional 'safe' boost.

3. Stage 1, back-end flash, plus a fueling solution:
-Charge pipe injection, (maybe need ethanol conversion as well for this to work? I had flex fuel wires on my e92 but don't fully understand the ethanol situation with B58)
-Meth
Not sure of the tradeoffs between these two options. CPI seems like a more elegant solution, no need for external meth storage and refilling.

STAGE 2
1. Stage 2 would require BEF at minimum to bypass fuel cap.

2. Stage 2, BEF, + a fueling solution as outlined above.

Thanks in advance, any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
ilkthat
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, I've been doing my research but still need some confirmation, especially as the fueling solution situation has continued to develop. If there is a good sticky that has all this info in one place, please let me know.

Current vehicle is 2016 340i xDrive 45K miles
-MPPSK
-Intake
-Catless DP
-JB4
-Running 93 octane pump gas and have access to -100 race gas

I do daily the car, and would like to continue to do so.

Trying to decide between a stage 1 and stage 2 turbo upgrade and want to better understand the supporting mods. I think I would go Pure Turbo.

I believe my options are:

STAGE 1
1. Drop in stage 1 with my current bolt-ons, but in order to maintain safe AFRs the boost would be limited due to internal fuel cap.

2. Stage 1 plus back-end flash would make the most of existing platform fueling capabilities and unlock additional 'safe' boost.

3. Stage 1, back-end flash, plus a fueling solution:
-Charge pipe injection, (maybe need ethanol conversion as well for this to work? I had flex fuel wires on my e92 but don't fully understand the ethanol situation with B58)
-Meth
Not sure of the tradeoffs between these two options. CPI seems like a more elegant solution, no need for external meth storage and refilling.

STAGE 2
1. Stage 2 would require BEF at minimum to bypass fuel cap.

2. Stage 2, BEF, + a fueling solution as outlined above.

Thanks in advance, any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
As far as your options number 3 is the best and you don’t need meth if you get a cpi fuel kit you can run e50 e60 safely I highly recommend you to get mhd back end flash I have all your same mods mppsk jb4 catless downpipe dinan j take xhp stage 3 tranmisson flash flash and mhd back end and car is other worldly to just jb4 alone I’m getting cpi fuel kit very soon and somebody else on this forum is as well ordered one I just feel like getting a turbo is a bit over kill unless you want 500 plus wheel
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00
      09-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

I have the Pure Stage 1 + BEF/JB4 + Meth + E30 blend...... pretty solid setup I'm currently boosting 23 psi and some times 24 psi in 4th/5th gear. It pulls all the way to red-line. The B58 should of came with a Pure Stage 1 sized turbo stock, but i will be upgrading to the Stage 2 some time soon because i want to keep adding more haha.

I might switch to the Fuel-It CPI kit because its super annoying having to always go out and buy meth.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE340i View Post
I have the Pure Stage 1 + BEF/JB4 + Meth + E30 blend...... pretty solid setup I'm currently boosting 23 psi and some times 24 psi in 4th/5th gear. It pulls all the way to red-line. The B58 should of came with a Pure Stage 1 sized turbo stock, but i will be upgrading to the Stage 2 some time soon because i want to keep adding more haha.

I might switch to the Fuel-It CPI kit because its super annoying having to always go out and buy meth.
So if you switch to CPI, you'll drop your WMI and change to a stronger ethanol blend?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
PURE340i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE340i View Post

So if you switch to CPI, you'll drop your WMI and change to a stronger ethanol blend?
Yup pretty much
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #6
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkthat View Post
As far as your options number 3 is the best and you don’t need meth if you get a cpi fuel kit you can run e50 e60 safely I highly recommend you to get mhd back end flash I have all your same mods mppsk jb4 catless downpipe dinan j take xhp stage 3 tranmisson flash flash and mhd back end and car is other worldly to just jb4 alone I’m getting cpi fuel kit very soon and somebody else on this forum is as well ordered one I just feel like getting a turbo is a bit over kill unless you want 500 plus wheel
Everything is overkill until you've upgraded to something less than that thing-- then it no longer seems like overkill lol.
I'm getting 406/426 dynojet AWD on my current setup, so if BEF + CPI gets me another 40 awhp, that's probably satisfying in the short run. So maybe that's the staged approach I'll take and consider a turbo upgrade later since I'd need the BEF and fueling solution anyway for a turbo upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

The turbo and the fuel you plan to use determines what sort of fueling hardware you need.

With 100 racing fuel you can make more power before needing upgrades than E85 mixtures due its higher specific energy. Should be able to support 500whp on 100 unleaded with a factory fuel system while on E40 you'll be struggling to hit 470whp.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Isn't the fuel cap caused by the stock HPFP's inability to hold rail pressure? Doesn't an upgrade to the M340i HPFP solve that up to 450 hp or so?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:19 AM   #9
PURE340i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Isn't the fuel cap caused by the stock HPFP's inability to hold rail pressure? Doesn't an upgrade to the M340i HPFP solve that up to 450 hp or so?
Are people swapping in the m340i fuel pump? I haven't seen anyone do it yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:58 AM   #10
ilkthat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
The turbo and the fuel you plan to use determines what sort of fueling hardware you need.

With 100 racing fuel you can make more power before needing upgrades than E85 mixtures due its higher specific energy. Should be able to support 500whp on 100 unleaded with a factory fuel system while on E40 you'll be struggling to hit 470whp.
So a jb4 mhd back end flash with downpipe intake and 100 octane only in stock fuel system would be able to support 500 whp thag is amazing or would you need meth as well
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post

Thanks, that makes sense. If I choose to do the CPI + BEF now and hold off on a turbo upgrade, what does that setup look like with the stock turbo? Do I keep the JB4 in place to trigger the CPI, or can a BEF do that?
I'm getting some contradictory/confusing info from both MHD and Protuning Freaks.
Thx
T.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
ilkthat
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, that makes sense. If I choose to do the CPI + BEF now and hold off on a turbo upgrade, what does that setup look like with the stock turbo? Do I keep the JB4 in place to trigger the CPI, or can a BEF do that?
I'm getting some contradictory/confusing info from both MHD and Protuning Freaks.
Thx
T.
You would need mhd and get a back end flash map with a jn4 controller fuel it sells
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
Relique
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC xDrive

Quote:
Thx
T.
With just a BM3 flash or similar, the CPI will be triggered with a separate controller. Right now Fuel-it sells an AIC1 VH6 controller that can control up to six injectors (meth/CPI/PI/TBI etc). This adds 390 dollars to the cost. I was able to pick one up from a member on another forum for cheaper.

This will have to be tuned separately from the flash. You have to buy a cable, open the cover of the controller and tune it with the provided software. Fuel-It says they have a baseline map that they can provide for this.

To get the most out of the car you will need someone to custom tune an E85 blend. They will have to give you tunes for both the AIC1 and the car flash tune itself. It will probably be easier to find a tuner for BM3 than MHD. Solid67 is getting his tune done with F80paul but it costs a pretty penny if you need maps for multiple fuel types.
      09-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

It's really not hard to tune an additional injector. Turn it on progressively after 5PSI and run some logs. As you turn it up, add more flow. You should see hpfp/injector timing drop to know it's working effectively.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0