F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Suggestions needed for what to do with original RFTs on new F31
Studio RSR

12-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
wrp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i

Suggestions needed for what to do with original RFTs on new F31

Another member of the family got a second unrepairable flat tire in two weeks. This is on a 2018 F31 with just 10,000 miles and 6 months old. Original tires are Continental ContiProContact SSR 95V Run-Flats, 225/45-18.

Two weeks ago nobody would fix the flat because the nail was in the shoulder of the tire. I thought Continental had a one-year road hazard warranty but this does not apply to tires on new cars. The local BMW dealer was not sure about the warranty, and replaced the tire for $300, and then told me there's no warranty. (However new replacement Continental tires have 1-year road hazard.) And now a there's a nail also on the shoulder of another tire on the car.

So - I can spend another $300 on a new tire and get the 1-year road hazard.

Or spend about $1000 and to get four Bridgestone RE980AS non-run-flat tires and get lifetime prorated road hazard.

Suggestions? If I go with four new tires is there a market for selling the remaining three Conti SSR tires?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Possibly sell them to someone turning in a lease. Run flats are never worth the supposed benefit for me. I had a flat in the first 6 months with my 228. I swapped to regular tires and never had an issue for 3 years after that. It was around $500 for a while set of tires on that versus almost $300 for one run flat.

I just got my F31 and it has the Pirelli RFTs on it. I will get a summer set of wheel/ tires next year and use these for "winters" if you can call it winter here in SC.
Appreciate 0