F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > New 2018 iPhones - Opinions?
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Upgrading/buying?
Yes - iPhone Xs 21 20.00%
Yes - iPhone Xs Max 21 20.00%
Yes - iPhone Xr 5 4.76%
No 24 22.86%
F*ck NO 34 32.38%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

10-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #133
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I literally can't think of any phone feature more exciting than spontaneous combustion.

To be fair IOS 12 made my 8 run faster, but created other annoying bugs. My imessages show the same person listed twice, for example. Delete that one string of messages and it says the other string with the same name is "unknown". A reboot seems to fix it for a bit then it comes back.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:07 PM   #134
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Has anyone in this thread had a charging issue or other performance issue with THEIR actual phone?

I have the Xs Max and it's been great, just like every other iPhone I've had.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      10-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #135
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Has anyone in this thread had a charging issue or other performance issue with THEIR actual phone?

I have the Xs Max and it's been great, just like every other iPhone I've had.
No issues even before the 12.0.1 update. Been smooth for me. I have XS.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #136
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #137
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
That literally sounds like you read the day 1 reviews, and ignored everything after.

When did i say anything about Android having zero issues? That's what you fanboys do, distract with nonsense. You think Apple fixing bugs is one of their fortes? They are in-fact notorious for avoiding issues and trying to sweep things under the rug, never giving out info, and IF it's an issue they decide is too bad to ignore, they'll fix it a couple of updates later.

I've owned them to, I have an iPhone right now. I've worked in IT/Tech for a long time. I've repaired hundreds of iPhones and iPads. I never even said iPhones were bad phones, but they are boring as hell and Apple QA has been going down and down. If you even deny that you have some more reading to do.

Android phones are just so much more fun. Everybody with an Apple phone literally has the same damn phone. It's so boring. Nothing fun about getting a new iPhone. Just my opinion.

People act like their launching rockets with their handheld, they are all the same shit, and we do the same monotonous tasks on them all.
Apple is about to sell 220M iphones in the last 12 months. They have the best build quality in the industry.

Like all the haters, you’re confusing isolated issues with poor QA. Their QA is AMAZING and I’m shocked there aren’t more issues with the volume of premium devices they ship. They support their devices when there are issues.

The only XS issues now are some isolated LTE connectivity speed complaints, WiFi which was addressed, charging which was addressed and didn’t only impact XS, and some have complained the smoothing on the front camera is too aggressive.

Again, Apple is high profile. You reading a story or reading 50 people on a forum say their LTE speed is worse than their iPhone does not make an international issue.

I guarantee you if there was a hardware issue with the antennae, this issue could not and would not be “swept under the rug.” Apple is too high profile, too many people use their stuff, and their customers will complain until it’s resolved.

These issues simply are not affecting enough users to matter on a large scale.

Apple is an amazing company. You aren’t worth $1.1T without delighting your customers and crushing your competition. Get out of the weeds.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      10-13-2018, 01:22 AM   #138
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Apple is an amazing company. You aren't worth $1.1T without delighting your customers and crushing your competition. Get out of the weeds.
Fanboy?
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #139
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Fanboy?
Just looking at the facts. Apple is 2X as profitable as the second most profitable company. Truly amazing.

I am long, full disclosure.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #140
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I will agree that in terms of phones; its amazing what Apple did. In 2006, they did not make a single phone and 5 years prior to that they were about to go bankrupt. Today they are one of the most valuable companies in the world that are sitting on 100 Billion in cash. The way they integrated all of the features in a phone and simplified everything is something no one else has been able to do and revolutionized the smart phone market...

On the inverse; I think they are currently taking shortcuts. Its the nature of the game when you get this big; quality will fall. My ios12 update has again caused issues on my X and certain GUI changes that have been made have ruined the phone. The team behind facetime should not be allowed to even code a calculator.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #141
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I will agree that in terms of phones; its amazing what Apple did. In 2006, they did not make a single phone and 5 years prior to that they were about to go bankrupt. Today they are one of the most valuable companies in the world that are sitting on 100 Billion in cash. The way they integrated all of the features in a phone and simplified everything is something no one else has been able to do and revolutionized the smart phone market...

On the inverse; I think they are currently taking shortcuts. Its the nature of the game when you get this big; quality will fall. My ios12 update has again caused issues on my X and certain GUI changes that have been made have ruined the phone. The team behind facetime should not be allowed to even code a calculator.
Apple is THE most valuable company and actually have $246B in cash. They also have ~$100B in long term debt which was smartly issued at low rates to buyback shares. Their net cash position is around $140B.

Your experience with iOS 12 as being the evidence for them taking “shortcuts” is totally irrelevant and the wrong approach. The numbers say iPhone has never been more in demand as people are willing to pay more and more for these devices.

iOS 12 has been almost universally praised for resurrecting older devices and running smoother/faster than ever.

Go to the Genius Bar if you still have issues with your X. I use an X with iOS 12 and no “GUI Changes” were made that could have ruined your phone. Utterly ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #142
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Apple is THE most valuable company and actually have $246B in cash. They also have ~$100B in long term debt which was smartly issued at low rates to buyback shares. Their net cash position is around $140B.

Your experience with iOS 12 as being the evidence for them taking “shortcuts” is totally irrelevant and the wrong approach. The numbers say iPhone has never been more in demand as people are willing to pay more and more for these devices.

iOS 12 has been almost universally praised for resurrecting older devices and running smoother/faster than ever.

Go to the Genius Bar if you still have issues with your X. I use an X with iOS 12 and no “GUI Changes” were made that could have ruined your phone. Utterly ridiculous.
If you think the Facetime interface where you have to open another fucking menu to flip the camera is good; then you probably learned coding here - https://www.w3schools.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #143
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Fanboy?
Quote:

Confirmed
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 12:57 PM   #144
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Confirmed
It’s tough to argue when facts prove my statement.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #145
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
If you think the Facetime interface where you have to open another fucking menu to flip the camera is good; then you probably learned coding here - https://www.w3schools.com/
So iOS 12 ruined your X because of the camera flip in FaceTime?

Ever heard of the “yeah, but” mistake?

Smart guy: “Air travel is great.”

Idiot: “Yeah, but planes crash sometimes.”
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 01:15 AM   #146
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Wonder if the Xs will fit under the armrest in the BMW OE wireless charging holder
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 07:01 AM   #147
TonkaM6
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 M6 Convertible LCI

Garage List
My iPhone 8 is more than adaquate, makes calls and everything

Last edited by TonkaM6; 10-14-2018 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #148
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
My company just got a number of us in IT test Xs devices for future rollout. I have to say the Max is a definite upgrade over the 8+. The screen is much larger but the phone is just slightly smaller than the 8+. It also seems to pop more, maybe because of the pixel density or color saturation, I’m not sure yet. FaceID is so fast it’s like you don’t even have a passcode. Fortunately we got a corporate discount so are not paying $1k for these. I think Verizon is already offering price discounts to consumers so it may make it more palatable.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #149
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I just got a xs max and the only issue I have is when I use this site in landscape and try to scroll the screen jumps around and makes it unusable IMO. Portrait mode it’s so damn small I find myself having to stop and make it bigger to read and type. I keep having to move the green around to make it work for me.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I didn’t have this issue with my 8+ using landscape.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #150
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Apple is about to sell 220M iphones in the last 12 months. They have the best build quality in the industry.

Like all the haters, you’re confusing isolated issues with poor QA. Their QA is AMAZING and I’m shocked there aren’t more issues with the volume of premium devices they ship. They support their devices when there are issues.

The only XS issues now are some isolated LTE connectivity speed complaints, WiFi which was addressed, charging which was addressed and didn’t only impact XS, and some have complained the smoothing on the front camera is too aggressive.

Again, Apple is high profile. You reading a story or reading 50 people on a forum say their LTE speed is worse than their iPhone does not make an international issue.

I guarantee you if there was a hardware issue with the antennae, this issue could not and would not be “swept under the rug.” Apple is too high profile, too many people use their stuff, and their customers will complain until it’s resolved.

These issues simply are not affecting enough users to matter on a large scale.

Apple is an amazing company. You aren’t worth $1.1T without delighting your customers and crushing your competition. Get out of the weeds.
Best build quality? ok? I guess I won't argue, but mostly because it's pointless. Are other phones falling apart or something? Drop an iPhone it will break just as easily as any other phone, actually easier in my experience but I wont even get in to that. And you left out the biggest issue with the XS phones, battery life. And that issue will not be fixed as it's unfixable. The XS has an inferior screen to it's comp, yet battery life is also worse. Great product, makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:48 PM   #151
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
What's the verdict? Yay or Nay?

I personally wont notice a difference between them and my iPhone X (with the exception of the larger screen size on the boulder model) so I'm not upgrading this time around.
I recently upgraded from the 6S Plus 128GB to the XS Max 256GB and I am glad I did. I wanted the 512GB but they said it would be a 3 week wait for them to get it in since no one really keeps them in stock.
Obviously the 6S Plus is a bit outdated, but the new XS Max is a huge improvement.
If you're on the fence on upgrading or pulling the trigger on one of the new ones, my vote is to do it, you'll be glad you did.
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
      10-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #152
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Best build quality? ok? I guess I won't argue, but mostly because it's pointless. Are other phones falling apart or something? Drop an iPhone it will break just as easily as any other phone, actually easier in my experience but I wont even get in to that. And you left out the biggest issue with the XS phones, battery life. And that issue will not be fixed as it's unfixable. The XS has an inferior screen to it's comp, yet battery life is also worse. Great product, makes sense.
The XS just tested for best smartphone display ever by Displaymate who scientifically measure the screen performance. They don’t just say, we think this looks better.

Look at the secondary market to see how well iPhones hold value versus Android competitors. Apple supports devices back to the iPhone 5. More secure, better support, better resale value, better build quality, etc.

No clue what you’re talking about on battery life. You just made a statement. Great source.
Appreciate 2
shay2nak1070.00
Kyngofpop676.00
      10-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #153
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #154
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Excuse us for our preference for a top notch user experience with far superior hardware. Our baaaaaaaad.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50