F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil pan leak
proTUNING Freaks

11-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Oil pan leak

Hello all,
My n55 335i has a oil pan leak. I was able to get valve cover gaskets replaced under warranty at around 70k miles. My car now has 90k and I was told yesterday by bmw I had the leak. They said it wasn't too bad. I was just curious if anyone else that has had this let it go for some time without it getting too bad. I have a family mechanic that can easily fix for much cheaper then bmw but if it doesn't get too bad I was just going too not worry as I will
Prob. Trade car in within 2 years.

Just looking for for commendations
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #2
monoid
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335xi FBO

Depends on the leak. If it’s only covered with oil only around the studs and you are not loosing significant amount of oil u can delay the replacement of the gasket.
      11-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoid View Post
Depends on the leak. If it's only covered with oil only around the studs and you are not loosing significant amount of oil u can delay the replacement of the gasket.
Yeah that's what I was thinking until it gets bad enough to do it
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:39 PM   #4
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
Hello all,
My n55 335i has a oil pan leak. I was able to get valve cover gaskets replaced under warranty at around 70k miles. My car now has 90k and I was told yesterday by bmw I had the leak. They said it wasn't too bad. I was just curious if anyone else that has had this let it go for some time without it getting too bad. I have a family mechanic that can easily fix for much cheaper then bmw but if it doesn't get too bad I was just going too not worry as I will

Try getting liquid moly engine saver and adding it to your oil.
      11-30-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordier View Post
Quote:
Hello all,

What benefit does this provide in regards to the oil leak?
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:33 PM   #6
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

This is from liquid moly: Regenerates rubber and plastic engine seals such as shaft seals and valve stem seals and prevents oil stains under the vehicle. Counteracts oil dilution. Reduces engine noise and oil consumption through piston rings and valve guides.

This is from Amazon reviews. Here's a couple of them.

My 1989 BMW V12 was leaking oil furiously. It left puddles everywhere, and the entire underside was coated in oil, all the way to the back bumper. Changing the oil pan gasket is a huge job involving dropping the front suspension crossmember. So I tryed Liqui Moly after a fresh oil change, and after a few hundred miles my oil leaks slowed down 90%! I would never believe some snake oil in a shiny can would actually do as promised, but I am totally convinced! I will be changing the oil again and adding Liqui Moly every oil change

This Stuff Works
I own a 1991 BMW 535i with over 320,000 miles. I drive this car to work every day. I was adding half a quart of oil a month. I have not added any oil since.

I had a 2009 BMW 335i which was leaking engine oil at a rate of about 1L per month; had to top off engine oil every once in a while. After using this, the slow leak stopped, and I haven't had a need to add engine oil since. Even after an oil change (which presumably flushed out most of this product), the leak did not come back.
Korvo368.00
      12-01-2020, 01:25 AM   #7
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

BMW and oil leaks are synonymous. They are just not capable of making an oil tight seal.
      12-01-2020, 06:48 AM   #8
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

This is from liquid moly: Regenerates rubber and plastic engine seals such as shaft seals and valve stem seals and prevents oil stains under the vehicle. Counteracts oil dilution. Reduces engine noise and oil consumption through piston rings and valve guides.

My 1989 BMW V12 was leaking oil furiously. It left puddles everywhere, and the entire underside was coated in oil, all the way to the back bumper. Changing the oil pan gasket is a huge job involving dropping the front suspension crossmember. So I tryed Liqui Moly after a fresh oil change, and after a few hundred miles my oil leaks slowed down 90%! I would never believe some snake oil in a shiny can would actually do as promised, but I am totally convinced! I will be changing the oil again and adding Liqui Moly every oil change

This Stuff Works
I own a 1991 BMW 535i with over 320,000 miles. I drive this car to work every day. I was adding half a quart of oil a month. I have not added any oil since.

I had a 2009 BMW 335i which was leaking engine oil at a rate of about 1L per month; had to top off engine oil every once in a while. After using this, the slow leak stopped, and I haven't had a need to add engine oil since. Even after an oil change (which presumably flushed out most of this product), the leak did not come back.
Ohhh very nice! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

This Stuff Works

You're welcome. I hope it helps. Please update us and let us know if you try that route.
      12-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

This Stuff Works

You're welcome. I hope it helps. Please update us and let us know if you try that route.
Ordered off Amazon last night ! Will definitely update
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 1
jcordier160.50
      12-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

This Stuff Works

Any luck with that engine saver?
      12-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all,

This Stuff Works

Any luck with that engine saver?
I put it in about a week ago, I have been slammed and haven't checked the oil pan, I added it in about a week after an oil change so the pan should be relatively clean. I'm thinking about just changing the pan myself tho just for the hell of it. My car is at 91k miles and I plan on running it for a while so might as well just change it out and make it all new. But I still would like to see if the moly does truly help.
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 1
jcordier160.50
      12-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #13
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

oil leaks

I am curious about this moly additive and whether it works. If it helps the oil pan it will help valve cover and filter gaskets as well.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #14
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Those oil additives/sealers do work depending on the condition of the rubber gaskets & seals. If they are terribly hard and brittle and now flat, they will not work. They work by softening and swelling the rubber.

I've heard good things about Bar's Leaks and Blue Devil.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #15
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Ha! I went to Amazon to read the reviews and it's full of BMW owners.
Appreciate 0