F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > "Frozen" paint (matte/satin)
Extreme Powerhouse

04-02-2018, 05:09 AM   #1
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

"Frozen" paint (matte/satin)

I did not find a dedicated thread about those rather exotic, matte/satin paints from BMW.
I am myself both new to the forum and rather new to BMW, driving a Frozen Silver F36. While I have been a hand-washer for several years now, I am making my very first steps with the Frozen paint (first thorough wash still outstanding)

Those of you also driving a Frozen color - what has you experience so far been? How do you protect and maintain?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I did not find a dedicated thread about those rather exotic, matte/satin paints from BMW.
I am myself both new to the forum and rather new to BMW, driving a Frozen Silver F36. While I have been a hand-washer for several years now, I am making my very first steps with the Frozen paint (first thorough wash still outstanding)

Those of you also driving a Frozen color - what has you experience so far been? How do you protect and maintain?

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

While the matte finish looks great on some cars, I don't think I could live with it. Paint should be glossy & wheels silver! Check out:
https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/bmw-frozen-paint/
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/11/15/bm...nt-guidelines/
http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/01/08/he...-white-bmw-m3/
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677929
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/ACCESSORI...-CARE-PRODUCTS
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-finishes.html
https://www.autogeek.net/matte-car-care-products.html

2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

It is glossy enough It is not matte per se as you see on some wrapped cars, it is satin.

Mine is exactly as on the pictures above. You can see plenty of glossiness and the color changes slightly depending on the weather and reflections. Has a slight "sky-blue" nuance. Will provide some pictures as soon as I find/take some representative ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I don't have this paint on my car. Never would. Was at the dealership a few months back. They said it looks nice but its a pain in the ass to maintain especially with bird droppings.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

So many myths....
The frozen paint is claimed and reported to be just as susceptible to any contamination (incl. Bird droppings) as any other (regular) paint. If you do not clean bird dropping from your regular paint as soon as possible, you will have the same damage as on a frozen paint.

The only advantage is that you may be able to polish it off a bit and "swipe it under the carpet" on a regular paint, which you cannot do on a frozen paint. But if you think that the regular paint is in any way better protected - you are wrong. Both rely on the clear coat and both look like shit if you neglect them. The frozen has an advantage there as it would apparently not show swirls and fine scratches.
See the links provided above for first hand experience.

The advantage is - it looks much nicer, as your dealer has told you as well
      05-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Hi there

I’ve got a frozen grey F36 myself for two years now. A friend of mine has a 7 series in frozen dark grey. I always hand wash my car with specific matte paint product. My friend goes through car wash. Both cars still look frozen in terms of paint. Not sure if his will show any signs in the long run but his previous car was frozen black and he also car washed that one for four years now without any kind of issue.

I wouldn’t go through car wash with a metallic paint either

The only “disadvantage” I know of is that you cannot really spot repair frozen paint. Dealer will always do complete part if you would want to repair paint in case of damage. No need so far for me to do that although I’ve got some minor damage caused by the unknown (others) who are not careful it’s hardly noticeable.

For the rest, I love it

Best regards

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Let me know if you want to know other things. I use fiber sponge and cloth for washing / drying

Frozen paint cleans easily in my opinion.

Bird droppings and stuff I always remove as soon as possible
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:10 AM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

My experience so far is limited but relatively positive. I have a small scratch on one of the doors, barely noticeable (in the coat only) which I was not able to improve (except mask a bit with wax). i think it came from drying the car (high quality microfiber...)

What fiber sponge do you use for the wash and what shampoo? I used the Swissvax Opaque Car Bath, but I either did not use enough, or it is not as good as I expected, as the solution felt like pure water... no foam, not much of a slippery effect....

How do you dry the car at the end?

P.s. I loove mite too. Like the light chameleon effect based on light and weather.
      05-31-2018, 02:18 AM   #10
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

I also use Swissvax Opaque but I do make it foam though, just put some in the water, hose down into the bucket to get the foam going. Perhaps I use more than prescribed

I use two microfiber spongues and two large microfiber cloths (with small waffle weave patterns). I do wash those rather regularly in washing machine (without wash detergent) after cleaning my car as well to ensure the dirt doesn't stick to them for next time.

During washing of my car I rinse down the spongue often as well to get dirt off (regardless of fact that it is microfiber based). It prevents scratching to a larger degree if you do that, yes it takes more time but it's worth it I believe.

Same for me, the changes in conditions makes the colour shift because of the light that is being absorbed, love it
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:41 AM   #11
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

an evening shot
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-31-2018, 02:47 AM   #12
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

and another one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:51 AM   #13
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

and one more
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:55 AM   #14
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

one in brighter sun light with summer wheels
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      05-31-2018, 02:57 AM   #15
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
My experience so far is limited but relatively positive. I have a small scratch on one of the doors, barely noticeable (in the coat only) which I was not able to improve (except mask a bit with wax). i think it came from drying the car (high quality microfiber...)

What fiber sponge do you use for the wash and what shampoo? I used the Swissvax Opaque Car Bath, but I either did not use enough, or it is not as good as I expected, as the solution felt like pure water... no foam, not much of a slippery effect....

How do you dry the car at the end?

P.s. I loove mite too. Like the light chameleon effect based on light and weather.
I also love how you can see the lines of the car to a larger degree
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
one in brighter sun light with summer wheels
The lighter color wheels look so much better. Very nice!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
I also use Swissvax Opaque but I do make it foam though, just put some in the water, hose down into the bucket to get the foam going. Perhaps I use more than prescribed

I use two microfiber spongues and two large microfiber cloths (with small waffle weave patterns). I do wash those rather regularly in washing machine (without wash detergent) after cleaning my car as well to ensure the dirt doesn't stick to them for next time.

During washing of my car I rinse down the spongue often as well to get dirt off (regardless of fact that it is microfiber based). It prevents scratching to a larger degree if you do that, yes it takes more time but it's worth it I believe.

Same for me, the changes in conditions makes the colour shift because of the light that is being absorbed, love it
Ok, very similar to my approach. I wash all mitts/microfibers in the washing machine after every car wash. I use Chemical Guys microfiber washing detergent or washing powder, no softener.

I have yet to try the opaque car bath again.... hope to get it right this time. Very pleased with the wax.

There it is

Last edited by Skyhigh; 06-05-2018 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Ok, very similar to my approach. I wash all mitts/microfibers in the washing machine after every car wash. I use Chemical Guys microfiber washing detergent or washing powder, no softener.

I have yet to try the opaque car bath again.... hope to get it right this time. Very pleased with the wax.

There it is

Gotto love Frozen paint looking good
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 12:31 AM   #19
frazervalley
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

I like that frozen look a lot. Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 04:40 AM   #20
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Some feedback from me:
I am still not that impressed by Swissvax Opaque Car Bath (Shampoo).
Although I use almost twice the recommended amount per volume of water, there is barely any foam and the solution feels marginally slippery...

That's not what I am used to from other shampoos for normal paint.
What is your experience?

I am thinking of trying a different brand shampoo. The rest of the Opaque series products are really great, it is just the shampoo I am not too impressed by...
      07-20-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Some feedback from me:
I am still not that impressed by Swissvax Opaque Car Bath (Shampoo).
Although I use almost twice the recommended amount per volume of water, there is barely any foam and the solution feels marginally slippery...

That's not what I am used to from other shampoos for normal paint.
What is your experience?

I am thinking of trying a different brand shampoo. The rest of the Opaque series products are really great, it is just the shampoo I am not too impressed by...
Strange, really works out fine for me. I put some shampoo in bucket and then spray it with a hose to create sufficient foam. I usually need two buckets of water/shampoo combo to do my car but I’m fond of it really, paint looks great once the car is done. Like I said, I know someone who puts his frozen cars (he has two frozen beemers) through the car wash which will have non matte foam and it doesn’t really show. I don’t want to do that but I suppose it does mean the paint can handle something. I find the frozen paint easier to clean compared to my estoril blue 3 series (prev car).
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #22
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Strange indeed. I will take a picture next time, the water looks almost foam-less.