F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Mod option questions
proTUNING Freaks

11-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #1
madhaxor_3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Mod option questions

Vehicle 2012 335i, says sport in the door but really no idea trim package.
Trying to plan my mods in an appropriate order. I just got the car about a month ago, overall great shape.
Been doing a lot of reading/searching and definitely getting the CP ASAP, most likely VRSF or ER. Already putchased jb4. Next would be FMIC, again likely VRSF HD maybe Wagner Evo 1. Then DP. My main question comes from the options of solid tube or something with flex in the middle. What's the difference, benefits, compromise, or down side of each?
When doing these mods is it best replace clips, o-rings and connection pieces (CP related I guess)
Is there other mods to consider?
Goal 375-400whp similar tq, reliable for daily driving and fun weekends. Also not loud/obnoxious.
If there are threads for this I apologize in advance as my search skills are not yet master level.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 12:01 AM   #2
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhaxor_3 View Post
Trying to plan my mods in an appropriate order. I just got the car about a month ago, overall great shape.
Been doing a lot of reading/searching and definitely getting the CP ASAP, most likely VRSF or ER. Already putchased jb4. Next would be FMIC, again likely VRSF HD maybe Wagner Evo 1. Then DP. My main question comes from the options of solid tube or something with flex in the middle. What's the difference, benefits, compromise, or down side of each?
When doing these mods is it best replace clips, o-rings and connection pieces (CP related I guess)
Goal 375-400whp similar tq, reliable for daily driving and fun weekends. Also not loud/obnoxious.
If there are threads for this I apologize in advance as my search skills are not yet master level.
The "Sport" door sill probably indicates the Sport Line trim. Do you have silver whiskers, black mirror caps and a black accent piece on the rear bumper? If so, Sport Line. Also, I believe red interior stitching is Sport Line only.

I have a VRSF dp with the flex joint, no issues. O-rings and c-clips can generally be reused as long as they're in good shape, as can the upper v-clamp that connects the dp to the turbo. The clamp that connects the dp to the midpipe has a metal gasket that can probably be reused once, MAYBE twice, but most seem to recommend getting a new one.

FBO with a stage 2 tune should yield close to the numbers you're looking to get. Adding ethanol to an E30 mix (with the appropriate map) should get you fully there. But definitely read up on the threads here. Lots of good insight. Welcome!
      11-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
TSA8151
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i msport

Charge Pipe
FMIC
DP
Intake
Exhuast

To come close to 375whp you'll need to run an ethanol mix. Chasing the 400whp mark on the stock pwg turbo is a bit tough. Even with WMI and ethanol I have only seen a few pwg n55s break the 400whp mark.

Maybe ditch the jb4 and look into a flash tune? You could use the jb4 for meth control and run a MHD BEF.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhaxor_3 View Post
Definetley go with the Charge Pipe first and VRSF HD FMIC.

The solid DP's have no issue, we've sold many many VRSF DP's without a hitch.

The C Clip and O Ring doesn't need replacing unless lost, worn or broken.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
madhaxor_3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome, thanks for the advice and input on solid vs flex dp.

I have reevaluated my goal and think 350hp is more feasible as I don't want to do fuel mixing yet (more research required before I attempt that).

I will be ordering all the parts at once as long as nothing crazy happens to my finances in the holiday season. I assume it's best to do 1 at a time so I can fix anything that I might mess up in the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
madhaxor_3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
The "Sport" door sill probably indicates the Sport Line trim. Do you have silver whiskers, black mirror caps and a black accent piece on the rear bumper? If so, Sport Line. Also, I believe red interior stitching is Sport Line only.
Yes there is black mirror caps, silver whiskers (I think that's what I'm looking at) and red stitching. I'll put up a pic when I get back to my car today.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great advice has been already provided by other forum members. My only other suggestion is to evaluate suspension improvement options with increased horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post

I have a VRSF dp with the flex joint, no issues. O-rings and c-clips can generally be reused as long as they're in good shape, as can the upper v-clamp that connects the dp to the turbo. The clamp that connects the dp to the midpipe has a metal gasket that can probably be reused once, MAYBE twice, but most seem to recommend getting a new one.

FBO with a stage 2 tune should yield close to the numbers you're looking to get. Adding ethanol to an E30 mix (with the appropriate map) should get you fully there. But definitely read up on the threads here. Lots of good insight. Welcome!
I installed the VRSF DP as well, I would change all of the o-rings and clamps, I figured better to order them up front than to take the old one off and wish I had them.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
madhaxor_3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great advice has been already provided by other forum members. My only other suggestion is to evaluate suspension improvement options with increased horsepower.
I didn't think the suspension would need to be adjusted. The car feels solid with great handling. It may be just perception because I switched over from an Acura MDX to this. I'll do some research. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Mod option questions

Coming from an MDX, I'm sure the F30 feels quite sorted, but for spirited driving with turns, it is a softer suspension setup than previous generations of 3 series'. There's a fair bit of body lean and roll in corners. Upgraded springs and dampers or full coilovers will improve the sportiness of it even more, all while improving ride height and wheel gap aesthetics.