F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > What is the purpose of the OBDII connector on the JB4 and boost by gear questions
GetBMWParts

11-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What is the purpose of the OBDII connector on the JB4 and boost by gear questions

1) What is the purpose of the OBDII connector on the JB4? Is it solely to support datalogging or is the JP4 actually using the OBDII data to manipulate the signals of the sensors it's plugged into? The reason I ask is that I have a 6MT and I'm not excited what cutting the firewall grommet that surrounds my hydraulic clutch line. If the OBDII connection is solely for datalogging, then I'll run the cable around the door opening when needed.

2) Can you do boost by gear for all the maps including Map 1 or 2?

Last edited by XutvJet; 11-06-2018 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

1) data logging and to see the pretty screens on your phone
2) I believe so, you can do custom map

...but why play with piggy backs now? unless you want to do port injection? DME is wide open for flash tuning.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

OBDII provides the JB4 CANbus data for tuning purposes, not just logging. The hard way is the grommet on manuals. The easy way is in the door jamb. A lot of my manual trans customers just run it in the door jamb which takes seconds, works the same, and looks good enough.

This photo is from a C43 but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _bdiddyb_ View Post
1) data logging and to see the pretty screens on your phone
2) I believe so, you can do custom map

...but why play with piggy backs now? unless you want to do port injection? DME is wide open for flash tuning.
Thanks for the response and yes, flash tuning is the better tuning option BUT it's still in its infancy and I want to give it more time before jumping to it. I have the Dinantronics Sport and it's alright, but makes the throttle and power delivery a bit jumpy, even in the lowest settings. I've been running the car in stock mode for 2 weeks and much prefer the power delivery in 1st and 2nd plus I can actually go full throttle in those gears without destroying the tires. I'm just looking for a little more power in 3rd and taller gears. The JB4 seems like a good option for now and used ones are crazy cheap.
      11-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
OBDII provides the JB4 CANbus data for tuning purposes, not just logging. The hard way is the grommet on manuals. The easy way is in the door jamb. A lot of my manual trans customers just run it in the door jamb which takes seconds, works the same, and looks good enough.

This photo is from a C43 but you get the idea.
Thanks. So even in Map 1 or 2, the OBDII connection is absolutely required for it to work right and do boost by gear? I'm not looking to do anything beyond that, ever. If I want to log, I'd run the plug through the door jam.
      11-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Thanks for the response and yes, flash tuning is the better tuning option BUT it's still in its infancy and I want to give it more time before jumping to it. I have the Dinantronics Sport and it's alright, but makes the throttle and power delivery a bit jumpy, even in the lowest settings. I've been running the car in stock mode for 2 weeks and much prefer the power delivery in 1st and 2nd plus I can actually go full throttle in those gears without destroying the tires. I'm just looking for a little more power in 3rd and taller gears. The JB4 seems like a good option for now and used ones are crazy cheap.
Good to hear about the Dinantronics Sport. I imagine the JB+ would be the same as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey View Post
Good to hear about the Dinantronics Sport. I imagine the JB+ would be the same as well.
I'm keeping it hooked up so that I can run it in valet mode (-3 psi) when driving in the snow.
      11-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Thanks. So even in Map 1 or 2, the OBDII connection is absolutely required for it to work right and do boost by gear? I'm not looking to do anything beyond that, ever. If I want to log, I'd run the plug through the door jam.
you can run map 1 without connecting the OBD cable, it will act just like a stage 1 so you are missing out on very important Jb4 features including safety fail safes (if car runs lean or Overboost), boost by gear, datalogging, code reading and deleting,etc...

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0