F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire tear help!
Studio RSR

05-31-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
chrisl2232
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Tire tear help!

Hi guys,

I'm not too clear about tires, but I was wondering if you could help me out with my situation. I don't know who to blame for tearing my snow tires.

In Winter 2014, I purchased snow tires and had them mounted by BMW Albany, and in Spring 2015, I had tires removed by BMW Boston. Then, in Winter 2015, I had tires mounted by Firestone Boston. Firestone annotated that "inside tread of two tires were tearing along bead." They said that it shouldn't be a problem to drive on them. I had the tires removed in Spring 2016, and saw that there were extreme tearing along inside rim. Pictures below. I went in for service a month ago with BMW Boston to get a second opinion on the tires and they said, "damage to tire looks like what would occur during incorrect mounting. Tears in beads usually occur when stretching onto rim."

I called BMW Albany, and they said this issue can be caused by mounting or unmounting. My question for you all is:

-What is the real issue?
-Who is at fault here? Mounters or Dismounters? And if it is mounters, would it be BMW Albany because Firestone noticed the issue?
-How would I go about getting compensated or launching a formal complaint? Everyone denies being at fault and I am not the smartest on wheels. It just sucks because I have had these tires for only two seasons. I know I'm not in the best situation because I used three different parties across two locations.

Thanks for all of your help!

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Tire installer used bad tool to put it on a RFT compatible rim.

IMO, there is no safety problem, as the retaining bead of the tires are intact.
Appreciate 0