F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turner Motosports TPM-N55, experience and Drivetrain Malfunction code
GetBMWParts

09-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
blueloon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

Turner Motosports TPM-N55, experience and Drivetrain Malfunction code

I have had my 2013 335i for about 3 months now. I chose this over an Audi S4 because of the turbo vs. supercharger, and the ability to tune it. Not to mention about $5-10K less coin.

It's nicely equipped (Sport Line, Technology, Premium, M-Sport exhaust) and off of a lease.

I installed the Turner Motosports TPM-N55 module and have some things to share, mostly to see if anyone has had similar experience, or any advice.

From day 1, I would throw the occasional "Drivetrain Malfunction" code. This would happen only under serious foot-to-the-floor load, like when winding up on the on-ramp or getting out of silly situations in a real hurry. No loss of power, no limp home mode, just the code. Stopping the engine and restarting always cleared the code, as if nothing had happened. Talking to Chris at Turner, I was asked to check the connectors (all good), plug in the valet connector and drive it for a bit. Try as I might, and I really gave a it good go, the code never reappeared with the module out of the loop. So - it's the module. It's off to TM for repair or replacement. Anyone else see this?

Also - I haven't really noticed more than a slight bump in performance, and even that may be me convincing myself that the module is adding something. The on-board sport display isn't much help, since I'm guessing it's getting data from the module. When I get it back I'll give a good workout to see and post a follow-up
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

I don't know of anyone else that has this unit. Most people have JB4
      09-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry to hear that OP, hopefully they will take care of it quickly

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueloon View Post
I have had my 2013 335i for about 3 months now. I chose this over an Audi S4 because of the turbo vs. supercharger, and the ability to tune it. Not to mention about $5-10K less coin.

It's nicely equipped (Sport Line, Technology, Premium, M-Sport exhaust) and off of a lease.

I installed the Turner Motosports TPM-N55 module and have some things to share, mostly to see if anyone has had similar experience, or any advice.

From day 1, I would throw the occasional "Drivetrain Malfunction" code. This would happen only under serious foot-to-the-floor load, like when winding up on the on-ramp or getting out of silly situations in a real hurry. No loss of power, no limp home mode, just the code. Stopping the engine and restarting always cleared the code, as if nothing had happened. Talking to Chris at Turner, I was asked to check the connectors (all good), plug in the valet connector and drive it for a bit. Try as I might, and I really gave a it good go, the code never reappeared with the module out of the loop. So - it's the module. It's off to TM for repair or replacement. Anyone else see this?

Also - I haven't really noticed more than a slight bump in performance, and even that may be me convincing myself that the module is adding something. The on-board sport display isn't much help, since I'm guessing it's getting data from the module. When I get it back I'll give a good workout to see and post a follow-up
Any update on this? I JUST picked up my 14 435i today, and have been browsing possible options, and queued in immediately on 70hp gain from turner?!?!
Appreciate 0