F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > What is wrong with some people...
GetBMWParts

03-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #67
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzared_typer View Post
If it was in the states, the other driver would just as likely shoot you and then drive off. No way would I risk confronting anyone. Though I am perhaps stereotyping our friends across the pond
Lol you should check out what they take mountain biking.

You could start a small war with some mountain biking ride outs lol
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #68
Waitey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 D3 Bi-Turbo

If it's reported they'll go round to the registered keepers address of the car he drove off in. If the bloke is there he will get nicked and he will go to court. If there's 2 witnesses he'll get found guilty and will have to pay for the damage.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #69
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

The Police have been in touch and the low life has handed himself in and admitted causing the damage. I still haven't provided a statement. He isn't known to the Police and apparently would like the opportunity to pay for the damage.

My number one priority is to get the car repaired like new, however I am pretty certain he isn't going to compensate me for the hassle and then there's the small matter of the fact he tried to run me over when I challenged him - which I am guessing is the part he neglected to tell the Police.

What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:01 AM   #70
chiark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330D 2014

I think that's great. Just get it sorted and move on. He stands to lose a lot if he ends up with a record, he's obviously realised he's been a complete pillock.

Get it sorted to as new - nothing less - and move on.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #71
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelldav View Post
The Police have been in touch and the low life has handed himself in and admitted causing the damage. I still haven't provided a statement. He isn't known to the Police and apparently would like the opportunity to pay for the damage.

My number one priority is to get the car repaired like new, however I am pretty certain he isn't going to compensate me for the hassle and then there's the small matter of the fact he tried to run me over when I challenged him - which I am guessing is the part he neglected to tell the Police.

What do you think?

Just say it all as it happened, leave nothing out.

You have a witness to corroborate what you say.

Next time he might knock someone over.

I would love knowing what possessed him to do it in first place.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #72
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:

What do you think?
There's always the temptation to be vindictive and drag him through the courts, although strangely this is no guarantee it will work out better for you (i.e. his record etc. means nothing to you, it will take 6 months minimum and he could end up paying you £10 per month). It seems fair to say he won't be doing it again and it probably petrified about what could happen now.

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for this clown but he make a huge mistake and has realised it. Perhaps some ritual humiliation may be in order; give your statement, ask for a written apology and suggest he's cautioned for the attempted assault charge!

Good result so far though - count your blessings.
      03-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #73
russelldav
456bhp for breakfast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

I like the idea of a written apology. I am going to get a quote from BMW to repair it like new later this week and hopefully that will be the end of it. If he thinks I'm using Chips Away then he can jog on (thinking of citing anti-corrosion warranty to justify using an approved workshop).

Will hopefully post some pics of scratch-free bonnet online soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:53 AM   #74
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Quote:

What do you think?
Did you get an impression of what the Police want to happen?

Do they have an appetite for prosecution in this case, as they may choose to take it further themselves. This could be all down to your statement (Attempted running over and leaving even when challenged)

Or are they leaving it up to you and don't see a conviction will serve the public interest?

I think you should put his head on a gibbet outside your house to serve as a deterrent to to others
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d

Last edited by stu14t; 03-10-2014 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #75
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Great news. That's shaping up towards a decent outcome. I would give your statement with the full detail but accept an apology and a BMW repair, or better... If he's known to the police they will appreciate extra information, even if you and they don't go thought the courts.

To hand himself in he obviously appreciates the seriousness of using his own car. So, give your statement and let the police put the fear of God into him if nothing else...

I'm glad it's looking towards a half decent outcome and your bonnet will soon be shiny again.
      03-10-2014, 03:11 AM   #76
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

I reckon the guy turned himself in because he knew he was caught red handed and he was never going to get away. You could provide a description as well as the car he was driving. Handing himself in was probably an attempt to reduce the likelihood of prosecution. Perhaps the scumbag realised he could face losing his job (if he has one) if he got himself a criminal record. I hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction. There is no doubt you will have hassle and inconvenience due to this mindless waster.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #77
jnismith
Captain
Rep
Drives: Golf R, Maserati Gransport

Scratching

I had the word "C***T" scratched on the bonnet of my 525D in 2012, parked on my drive.

I showed the photo of mine to a friend at work and he said "How did they know?". Cracked me up.

I used Chipsaway to respray it and it look fine to me, but when I came to sell, the garage noticed straightaway that it had been resprayed and pointed out the faults!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #78
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagga View Post
Shocked and gutted for you!

Don't get your hopes up that you'll get any joy from the police as they are a useless bunch of lazy, trumped up good for nothings (to put it politely). For every excellent police officer there are 20 others that only care about themselves rather than the community they serve.

I just hope you get one who cares.....
A bit of a sweeping generalisation Zagga...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #79
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t View Post
Or are they leaving it up to you and don't see a conviction will serve the public interest?

This would be my only concern and an excellent point raised... if it goes to prosecution and the CPS later decide it's '...not in the public interest...' it will never get to court and he could get away with it. The only recourse then would be civil action, with the burden off proof etc. on you.

Try to get the admission, apology and offer to pay in writing before you hit him with the BMW workshop quote - i.e. before he realises the true cost!

A similar thing happened to my wife's car:
Hit in a car park (by a lady BMW driver!), police attended because she just walked off into the shops, came back with the police to apologise and offer to pay, all agreed and left the scene. Two weeks later denied all involvement, police no longer interested!!!!, woman got away with it.
      03-10-2014, 04:39 AM   #80
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335 View Post
This would be my only concern and an excellent point raised... if it goes to prosecution and the CPS later decide it's '...not in the public interest...' it will never get to court and he could get away with it. The only recourse then would be civil action, with the burden off proof etc. on you.

Try to get the admission, apology and offer to pay in writing before you hit him with the BMW workshop quote - i.e. before he realises the true cost!

Hit in a car park (by a lady BMW driver!), police attended because she just walked off into the shops, came back with the police to apologise and offer to pay, all agreed and left the scene. Two weeks later denied all involvement, police no longer interested!!!!, woman got away with it.
Shocking!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:53 AM   #81
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Shocking!!!
My wife's cars are magnets for these fools... 3 times it's happened.

This was the only instance we got stitched up, the other two

1) An elderly guy denied hitting the car but still parked next to her, was seen on camera hitting the car, was seen on camera checking the damage and our black car was covered with his Volvo red paint. Again, the rozzers attended and just told him to 'stop f**king about sir and give them your insurance details'. Amusing this one.

2) A tiny Asian lady (only relevant because she couldn't see over the dash) reversed into our E88 a couple of weeks before it was being traded in, then drove off! Again on camera outside a shopping centre. The CCTV operator couldn't give me the footage but kindly agreed to liaise with the police on my behalf! The police said the 'man' who was driving told them he had not hit any car - they checked the footage and reminded the 'man' it was an offence to mislead police about who was actually driving. He sent me a check within 24 hours!!

Wankers, all of them (pardon my French).

Incidentally, in both cases the police made it clear they would take no action. They just said its an insurance issue if the other drivers didn't 'fess up. They did help, but not interested in such minor issues.
      03-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #82
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Incidentally, in both cases the police made it clear they would take no action. They just said its an insurance issue if the other drivers didn't 'fess up. They did help, but not interested in such minor issues.
IMO I think the key here is it was a willful, malicious and criminal act rather than an accident involving motor vehicles. Add to the mix the use of a car as a weapon and you could potentially have the public interest element.

Trouble is the police a fairly risk averse, if they don't see a conviction them may not pursue.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #83
Hprice1099
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t View Post
IMO I think the key here is it was a willful, malicious and criminal act rather than an accident involving motor vehicles. Add to the mix the use of a car as a weapon and you could potentially have the public interest element.

Trouble is the police a fairly risk averse, if they don't see a conviction them may not pursue.
I'd have to agree, its not something the police would look into (unless serious) due to the fact this is what insurance is for. As much as it would pain me if the same happened
I must say after my accident in 2012 the police where up to scratch looking at CCTV ect, the end result the other driver was charged with carless driving so its not all bad out there
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #84
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

If a driver hits another car in a car park it would be seen as a damage only RTC and if she has come back and given details then it is left to the insurance companies to sort out between themselves unless there are obvious motoring offences.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 05:35 AM   #85
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

What do you think?
What you do depends on whether you want to pursue him driving at you (and when it becomes one persons word against the other with no witnesses or CCTV it will probably be dropped). If you are happy with an apology there are two ways for this to be dealt with. If he isn't known to the police he will be eligible for a caution which would mean he gets a criminal record. This can made into a conditional caution where he has to recompense you. Normally CPS ask for 3 quotes for the repair and will go for the average.

Another way to deal with this is called restorative justice. The police still record an offence of criminal damage and he is still recorded as the offender. However it means he doesn't get a criminal record (which he seems to want to avoid hence going to the nick to admit it and offer to pay) but as part of the RJ you will be asked what you want as a victim. Tell them an apology and the cost of repairs (again 3 quotes are normally asked for). He is then normally given a period of time to pay (what is considered a reasonable time will depend on the cost of repairs, his income etc but normally around 4 weeks ie allow him to be paid). He will sign a form to agree to all this.

This way you get your repair paid for, the police get an easy detection to record against the crime and he doesn't get a criminal record. IF he doesn't pay as agreed then the police can still prosecute him through the courts using the RJ as an admission of guilt.

Hope this all makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #86
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
What you do depends on whether you want to pursue him driving at you (and when it becomes one persons word against the other with no witnesses or CCTV it will probably be dropped). If you are happy with an apology there are two ways for this to be dealt with. If he isn't known to the police he will be eligible for a caution which would mean he gets a criminal record. This can made into a conditional caution where he has to recompense you. Normally CPS ask for 3 quotes for the repair and will go for the average.

Another way to deal with this is called restorative justice. The police still record an offence of criminal damage and he is still recorded as the offender. However it means he doesn't get a criminal record (which he seems to want to avoid hence going to the nick to admit it and offer to pay) but as part of the RJ you will be asked what you want as a victim. Tell them an apology and the cost of repairs (again 3 quotes are normally asked for). He is then normally given a period of time to pay (what is considered a reasonable time will depend on the cost of repairs, his income etc but normally around 4 weeks ie allow him to be paid). He will sign a form to agree to all this.

This way you get your repair paid for, the police get an easy detection to record against the crime and he doesn't get a criminal record. IF he doesn't pay as agreed then the police can still prosecute him through the courts using the RJ as an admission of guilt.

Hope this all makes sense!
+1

I detect some possible insider knowledge
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #87
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

It's ridiculous how you have to be so accommodating to the little prick in order to get your money! You shouldn't be nervous about going in strong just incase he decides to walk away.
Why on earth do you need to give them time to raise the funds for the repair. That's what these ridiculously high interest rate companies are for on the TV. Let them get a high interest loan then it's up to them to pay it off. Cheeky Bar Stewards!!!
You shouldn't even need to get 3 quotes. Just tell them your repairer of choice and that's it...PAY IT!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #88
General
No_Country
Rep

Have you got legal protection with your insurance?

This is specifically where it comes in very handy.

My wife had a problem with some guy hitting her car and leaving note saying sorry, then subsequently would not cough up.

My insurance legal side kicked in took him to court, we had loss of earnings, time, phone calls, taxis etc all paid for and he was fined had to pay court costs etc.
Appreciate 0