F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Guide to upgrading a BMW 335d touring Xdrive 2016
proTUNING Freaks

01-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
ST1NGA
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d Touring

Guide to upgrading a BMW 335d touring Xdrive 2016

Firstly hello to everyone! hope everyone is well and had a lovely new year!
I'm new to the forum really looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Ive been thinking about buying a new car the two cars on my list where a GolfR or an Audi S3. however once i started thinking about what i use my car for I realized that those two cars wouldn't really suite my needs.

My family and I like to go for long drives around the UK as well as Europe so we need a big boot we need good MGP we need to be comfortable. I do also like to have some power under the hood and want to enjoy driving my car. Therefore started to look at the 335D touring.

it ticked all the boxes... powerful, big boot and good MGP however I've read its drive is supposed to be a bit boring? So naturally I wanted to make some small tweaks to maybe improve things a little.

The problem I'm having is that it proves very difficult to actually find certain parts for a diesel.

Things i wanted to do and i would like some advice on where to get it from

1) Swirl flap delete kit, I've found some place but would appreciate any advice on personal experience or recommended brands

2) ACR springs, can anyone recommend a good place to buy theses and if the are the best ones to get based on experience

3) Powerflex bushes etc, these guys do a full kit i thinks that covers control arm/radius arm bushes and the subframes, can anyone recommend weather its worth going for the whole lot or just some of these and where i could get them from

4) Remap where should I get a remap done and experience on what the remap is like

5) Stronger turbo hoses/boost pipe etc I've heard that the OEM pipes are not great after you remap. Can anyone recommend which ones I should replace, what brands and where i can buy them from

6) Finally any other mod's/tweaks or advice that can help myself and others on a similar mission!

I know there lots there and I'm really sorry for all the questionsIi have spent a few weeks trying to read and get this information my self but cant find everything and hopefully this can help other people who are also looking to make little teaks and upgrade to their 335d's

Thank you guys and look forward to your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:23 AM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Make sure you don't base your research on the older M57 engine'd 335d.
A few things you mention aren't necessary.

A proper remap (tune) should be first.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1NGA View Post
Firstly hello to everyone! hope everyone is well and had a lovely new year!
I'm new to the forum really looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Ive been thinking about buying a new car the two cars on my list where a GolfR or an Audi S3. however once i started thinking about what i use my car for I realized that those two cars wouldn't really suite my needs.

My family and I like to go for long drives around the UK as well as Europe so we need a big boot we need good MGP we need to be comfortable. I do also like to have some power under the hood and want to enjoy driving my car. Therefore started to look at the 335D touring.

it ticked all the boxes... powerful, big boot and good MGP however I've read its drive is supposed to be a bit boring? So naturally I wanted to make some small tweaks to maybe improve things a little.

The problem I'm having is that it proves very difficult to actually find certain parts for a diesel.

Things i wanted to do and i would like some advice on where to get it from

1) Swirl flap delete kit, I've found some place but would appreciate any advice on personal experience or recommended brands

2) ACR springs, can anyone recommend a good place to buy theses and if the are the best ones to get based on experience

3) Powerflex bushes etc, these guys do a full kit i thinks that covers control arm/radius arm bushes and the subframes, can anyone recommend weather its worth going for the whole lot or just some of these and where i could get them from

4) Remap where should I get a remap done and experience on what the remap is like

5) Stronger turbo hoses/boost pipe etc I've heard that the OEM pipes are not great after you remap. Can anyone recommend which ones I should replace, what brands and where i can buy them from

6) Finally any other mod's/tweaks or advice that can help myself and others on a similar mission!

I know there lots there and I'm really sorry for all the questionsIi have spent a few weeks trying to read and get this information my self but cant find everything and hopefully this can help other people who are also looking to make little teaks and upgrade to their 335d's

Thank you guys and look forward to your help!
Below are some thoughts...

2) xDrive responds well to moderate drop of 1 inch or less. Eibach makes a nice set that also reduces some of the reverse rake that BMW builds in with more fender gap at the front. Front drop is 0.8", rear is 0.6". Also only 10% stiffer than stock so won't make the ride harsh.

Lowered springs can also wear stock dampers faster. Consider replacing dampers at same time to save on labor. Koni Special Actives work very well with Eibach spring set in fact Koni tested with them. (Ignore recommendations in Koni literature against dropped springs since Koni considers Eibach drop to be so light as to be like stock height springs as far as spring travel.) KoniSA's were developed with McLaren to have dual valves for both spirited driving and handling rough roads. Perfect combination!

3) Don't add stiffer bushings into your suspension unless you are racing. You will just make your ride harsh.

5) As far as I know, only the N55 gasoline engine has an issue with the charge pipe breaking (cracks at the 90 degree bend.)

6)Additional mods:
Brakes: there are better pads than OEM. Hawk 5.0 are the best street performance pads in every category. Not sure if available outside US. Zimmermann rotors are well made and less costly than OEM, plus coated against rust.
Upgrade to stainless steel brake lines for much more solid brake pedal feel. StopTech set is $106. Replace brake fluid every two years for safety.

Tires: Runflats provide half of the teeth rattling of the stock car suspension. Non-runflats handle and ride so much better. Also upgrade the tire size. If stock is 225/45-18 then a 245/40-18 will provide best handling. 245/45-18 will provide better handling and comfort plus take up more wheel gap to give appearance of being lowered.
Best tires:
Summer: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
All Season: Michelin PS AS 3+

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RTF301.50
      01-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Low priority for N57.

Quote:
ACS springs are rebranded Eibach. You can usually get the Eibach kit cheaper. That said, I wish Eibach used a stiffer spring in the rear than they do (if you have EDC the Eibach rear spring isn't any stiffer than OE).

This is an excellent video to give you some guiding principles when upgrading your suspension.

Quote:
If you're going to go for stiffer bushings I'd just go for monoballs. Better steering feel and responsiveness.

Quote:
Completely unnecessary. OE hoses are rubber and not brittle plastic like on the gas engines.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
ST1NGA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Make sure you don't base your research on the older M57 engine'd 335d.
A few things you mention aren't necessary.

A proper remap (tune) should be first.
Good point mate thank you, sorry if i sound a bit silly but from what year did the 335d have the N57 engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #6
ST1NGA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Below are some thoughts...

2) xDrive responds well to moderate drop of 1 inch or less. Eibach makes a nice set that also reduces some of the reverse rake that BMW builds in with more fender gap at the front. Front drop is 0.8", rear is 0.6". Also only 10% stiffer than stock so won't make the ride harsh.

Lowered springs can also wear stock dampers faster. Consider replacing dampers at same time to save on labor. Koni Special Actives work very well with Eibach spring set in fact Koni tested with them. (Ignore recommendations in Koni literature against dropped springs since Koni considers Eibach drop to be so light as to be like stock height springs as far as spring travel.) KoniSA's were developed with McLaren to have dual valves for both spirited driving and handling rough roads. Perfect combination!

3) Don't add stiffer bushings into your suspension unless you are racing. You will just make your ride harsh.

5) As far as I know, only the N55 gasoline engine has an issue with the charge pipe breaking (cracks at the 90 degree bend.)

6)Additional mods:
Brakes: there are better pads than OEM. Hawk 5.0 are the best street performance pads in every category. Not sure if available outside US. Zimmermann rotors are well made and less costly than OEM, plus coated against rust.
Upgrade to stainless steel brake lines for much more solid brake pedal feel. StopTech set is $106. Replace brake fluid every two years for safety.

Tires: Runflats provide half of the teeth rattling of the stock car suspension. Non-runflats handle and ride so much better. Also upgrade the tire size. If stock is 225/45-18 then a 245/40-18 will provide best handling. 245/45-18 will provide better handling and comfort plus take up more wheel gap to give appearance of being lowered.
Best tires:
Summer: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
All Season: Michelin PS AS 3+

Hope this helps!
My friend this helps massively thank you! and great shout about the break pads if I'm remapping stopping power needs to be there!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
ST1NGA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Low priority for N57.

ACS springs are rebranded Eibach. You can usually get the Eibach kit cheaper. That said, I wish Eibach used a stiffer spring in the rear than they do (if you have EDC the Eibach rear spring isn't any stiffer than OE).

This is an excellent video to give you some guiding principles when upgrading your suspension.

If you're going to go for stiffer bushings I'd just go for monoballs. Better steering feel and responsiveness.

Completely unnecessary. OE hoses are rubber and not brittle plastic like on the gas engines.
Hi FaRKle

Really appreciate you relying to my post thank you! and thanks for the link to the video decent guide.

Quick question regarding swirl flap delete, I've heard nothing but nightmare stories about people that haven't done this mod, is the N57 engine different, will I not be in danger of the same issues that other people have unfortunately suffered from?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #8
ST1NGA
Rep

Quote:
Low priority for N57.

Hey FaRKle,

Sorry just another question could you recommend a place where you can buy the monoballs kit.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Liquidfox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
ACS springs are rebranded Eibach.
With a different spring rate, Eibach make them but to ACS specification.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #10
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidfox View Post
With a different spring rate, Eibach make them but to ACS specification.
Not true. The dimensions and wire thickness are the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:23 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Low priority for N57.

Hey FaRKle,

Sorry just another question could you recommend a place where you can buy the monoballs kit.

Thanks.
He's talking about monoballs in the upper control arm/ Tension strut which can improve steering feel, hopefully without much if any added Noise Vibration or Harshness. He's been helping me investigate. He's using UCA monoballs from K-MAC. They are about $380/pair and would need to be pressed into your existing Upper Control Arms or new UCA from Lemforder which makes them for BMW. A good price on them is ~$82/ea.

VAC is also beginning to release their version of UCA monoballs which I'm investigating. They are in the same price range and are only sold already installed in Lemforders.

I'm hoping to test out a set of one of these in a month or so.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0