F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340 vs new M340i
Extreme Powerhouse

03-28-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
340 vs new M340i

I thought I'd toss this question out here and see what those of you on this forum have to say.

I'm in the market for a new car in the next 6-12 months. My first choice would be an F80 M3. I have test driven one of them and thought it was an amazing blend of practicality and performance.

I also recently had my X5 in for extended service and they gave me a brand new M340i as a loaner! I had that car for about a week and I was thoroughly impressed with its performance not quite as raw as the true M car but for a daily driver it was really nice. It kind of felt like an M3 light...

If you look at prices on the two cars in the used market the newer car hasn't been out as long and I'll be spending about the same amount of money on either one. I go back-and-forth sometimes I'd rather spend more money and get the actual M3 other times I feel like I'd rather get the less expensive car as I think it might be more bang for the buck.

That got me thinking what if I picked up a 2017 or 2018 340i and just added a tune? Whatever car I get I do not plan to do extensive modifications I have played that game in the past on prior cars and I'm not interested in syncing tons of money into aftermarket modifications I'm going to tent the windows possibly put on a set of lowering springs wheel spacers and a tune and that's it. Possibly little cosmetic things here and there - but I would like to keep the car mostly stock.

From looking at the performance numbers of people who have tuned a 2017-2018 340i - it almost looks like it is on par with the new M340? Pricewise you can find barely used 2017 models for way cheaper high 20s low 30s for pristine examples.

I'm curious if anyone here has Cross shopped all these cars and what your thoughts are. I am definitely not going to be buying a new M3 that's out of my price point the most I would want to spend would be mid to high 40s to pick up a nice F80. If I picked up a really nice 340 I for about 30 and spent a couple thousand bucks adding a tune and minor bolt ons - I'm wondering if the performance would be on par with a new car and how close you could get to a stock him three or maybe I would just continually have M3 envy and would kick myself for not just spending more??
Appreciate 1
zamboni1129.00
      03-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Well its 340i has 320 hp vs M340i has 385 hp. Just that answer your question.

Look and style is subjective.

M3 envy if that's how you look at it.
Appreciate 1
nbay8970.00
      03-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Well its 340i has 320 hp vs M340i has 385 hp. Just that answer your question.

Look and style is subjective.

M3 envy if that's how you look at it.
I do want to add that just because the M340i has 385 out of factory, doesn't mean it has greater headroom.

M340i is what your 340i would be with a stage 1 tune. Stage 1 numbers on both tend to even out for some reason (referencing that mission performance thread where they did stage 1 and 1.5 on M340i).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:16 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I do want to add that just because the M340i has 385 out of factory, doesn't mean it has greater headroom.

M340i is what your 340i would be with a stage 1 tune. Stage 1 numbers on both tend to even out for some reason (referencing that mission performance thread where they did stage 1 and 1.5 on M340i).
Isn't MP thread say something 410 whp and 420 tq

A 340i with bm3 s1 add 18%, so 320hp is somewhere around 377hp just like a stock M340i , there should be difference between the 2 engine
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:41 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have the bmw tune and it bumps the 340i to 355 and 369 torque. So torque is the same as m340i. I'm able to keep up with the m340i.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:24 AM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I thought I'd toss this question out here and see what those of you on this forum have to say.

I'm in the market for a new car in the next 6-12 months. My first choice would be an F80 M3. I have test driven one of them and thought it was an amazing blend of practicality and performance.

I also recently had my X5 in for extended service and they gave me a brand new M340i as a loaner! I had that car for about a week and I was thoroughly impressed with its performance not quite as raw as the true M car but for a daily driver it was really nice. It kind of felt like an M3 light...

If you look at prices on the two cars in the used market the newer car hasn't been out as long and I'll be spending about the same amount of money on either one. I go back-and-forth sometimes I'd rather spend more money and get the actual M3 other times I feel like I'd rather get the less expensive car as I think it might be more bang for the buck.

That got me thinking what if I picked up a 2017 or 2018 340i and just added a tune? Whatever car I get I do not plan to do extensive modifications I have played that game in the past on prior cars and I'm not interested in syncing tons of money into aftermarket modifications I'm going to tent the windows possibly put on a set of lowering springs wheel spacers and a tune and that's it. Possibly little cosmetic things here and there - but I would like to keep the car mostly stock.

From looking at the performance numbers of people who have tuned a 2017-2018 340i - it almost looks like it is on par with the new M340? Pricewise you can find barely used 2017 models for way cheaper high 20s low 30s for pristine examples.

I'm curious if anyone here has Cross shopped all these cars and what your thoughts are. I am definitely not going to be buying a new M3 that's out of my price point the most I would want to spend would be mid to high 40s to pick up a nice F80. If I picked up a really nice 340 I for about 30 and spent a couple thousand bucks adding a tune and minor bolt ons - I'm wondering if the performance would be on par with a new car and how close you could get to a stock him three or maybe I would just continually have M3 envy and would kick myself for not just spending more??
I cross shop everything from Japanese to Euro brand... US, I don't care unless its Corvette but I do have a soft spot for the 5.0 Mustang.

Anyway let's get back to what your thinking of buying.

M3, first and foremost I don't own one. I drove them plenty, have an easy access to them( cough rich friends). They are totally on a different level like you said. M3 is always at the back of my head... If money is not a problem and you itching for an M3 better get it now. As you say ...there are really good deals out there.

340i is really nice... but since driving a M340i for 2 weeks and got me thinking... the car is really close (almost like) an M3 like you said it's an M3 lite and guess what you still be getting 22 city/30 hwy mpg. Also comfortable driving for long period of time( this is subjective as a person could say they can drive an M3 10 hrs straight) I guess its tolerance...

Anyway that really up to you what car you like and if you itching for an M3.

Me, I want an M340i next and a transmission tune not so much for engine tuning for power. If you have X-HP transmission flash... you know what I mean. That quick shift is all you need with that stock 385 hp
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:54 AM   #7
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

I recently had a loaner X3 for a full day, and I wanna point out that although the technology is much better than the F30 generation, I really dislike the way the tachometer is designed, not only is the direction wrong, the needle is very short and very hard to see what rpm it is, that kinda ruins some fun in the Sport mode, I believe the M340i is the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
Jostack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 blown Yugo

Are these comparisons assuming the m340 is NOT under rated? If it is under rated, a tuned 340 will still fall short of the m340, right?

I love the balance of comfort and sportiness of my 17. I have the regular non msport, non adaptive suspension, and I really enjoy the comfort level for long and daily driving. It handles great, but the more I have fun with it, the more I get excited for the m340 when I can find a 3 year old m340.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #9
les anderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

A lot of depends on what your use case is and what matters most. Primary car? Commute length?

The 340i can certainly get to the straight line performance levels of the other two cars for less than $1000. The m340i might be an intriguing lease, but you are talking waaay more money than a 17 340 which I personally would have trouble justifying. If you are really going to spend get an m3, the best the other cars can do is imitate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I think the question goes beyond the power output of the engine.

I haven't driven a 340 and an M340 back-to-back, but I was very impressed by the driving feel of the M340. I though the body felt stiffer and lighter, the suspension controlled body motion better, and it felt better planted overall.

I too am not a fan of the new digital dash design. The gauges look cool, but are harder to read. I wish they would have gone with a design like you see in the current gen of M cars.

If I had the means to do either it would be a tough call, but I'd have to go with the M340. I really liked the way it drove and even with the engine in stock form felt properly quick.
      03-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #11
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

It all comes down to preference of what you want out of the car and your intended use. I've driven several 6MT F80 M3's (stock, non-comp pkg), for 3yrs I had a '17 340i w/ 6MT & MPPSK, then I had new M340xi loaner for about a week while also having a '20 M340i on order.

The M3 is raw. Forget the numbers on paper, it's a complete different driving experience from behind the wheel and a non-stop grin. At the time I was looking for a DD and the 340i being dialed back a couple of notches felt like a better fit for daily use but I did 2nd guess that every so often if I should've just gotten the M3.

I loved my F30 340i and getting back into it after having the G20 M340xi felt analog in comparison. W/ the MPPSK it was putting down ~370whp which was plenty for my daily needs, so yes, it was underrated. We've all been there before, you can mod and tune to match the other cars but the more you do to it, esp on a used car, the more potential you have of other things failing.

80% of my reason for ordering the M340i was to do ED (bucketlist). Covid-19 is interfering at the moment. But back to the question at hand, this one is underrated as well. Magazine reviews have it putting down the same times as the F80/82. The one I had as a loaner was fast and effortless. The tech is next generation as is to be expected, but also if you don't have it, you wouldn't miss it. My situation has changed now where i have a winter suv so the BMW wll no longer be a DD. If it weren't for the ED factor, I'd be seriously considering an F80.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #12
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I would get a cheap used 340i off lease and put Bootmod3 on it. It will be a hair faster than the M340i. The G20 is not worth the extra money in features, looks, or performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If you need a car now... a 340i won't hurt. It will be a long time for used G20 M340i to show up in the used market especially for a good price.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:28 PM   #14
kpgray
GasCompressor
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet

I owned a 340i and recently it was totaled (no one hurt). I test drove couple "M" cars to replace, test drove a newer M340 (and had one as loaner recently). Yet had to get something quick, left little time to find and negotiate. All three are different vehicles. In order of great drives:
  1. "M" is the best by far. Every component has been created for this model to perform and performs it does in every aspect. This is obvious from the the steering feel to the flat out performance when you want. As for a daily driver, you have to choose if you are willing to give up some suspension comfort for the go cart handling. I would suggest if you go this route, get a base "M" as the competition models are even more aggressive on the suspension to the point of harshness.
  2. M340 - The new M340 has some impressive power and some of the F30 handling characteristics missing from the E9x have improved, primarily the steering feel. The new electronic dash has some great features and the HUD is a significant improvement over the previous model. Seating, driver controls, feel is improved. My main beef is the car feels big to me and it is the size of a 15 year old 5er. I like the new grill and the lines are nice. This will be new for another 5 years as next model is years away.
  3. 340i - This comes in close third as the LCI has refined itself nicely over the years. The late model steering is much improved. I went this route as the "M" carries a 20-30% premium and the insurance is nearly double. To get the M340i performance at minimum takes the MPPK ($2,650 + install) and you are still little short. Economically, this is the way to go, some newer years have rare colors and well optioned examples are available for pretty good prices.
I went the 440i Coupe route as I found a very nice rare BMW Individual for a great price. This one is up to you, if you can afford a "M", I would do it, no regrets! I always wanted the "M" and I will have one day, just not right now.

2022 Porsche 911 Cabriolet Agate Grey/Black PDK
2019 440i M-Sport Smoke Topaz Metallic/Opel (Sold)
2014 335i M-Sport Black/Beige MPPK/MPE (Totaled)
2013 328i Sport xDrive Imperial Blue/Grey (Sold)

Last edited by kpgray; 03-30-2020 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
zamboni1129.00
      03-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #15
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
I owned a 340i and recently it was totaled (no one hurt). I test drove couple "M" cars to replace, test drove a newer M340 (and had one as loaner recently). Yet had to get something quick, left little time to find and negotiate. All three are different vehicles. In order of great drives:
  1. "M" is the best by far. Every component has been created for this model to perform and performs it does in every aspect. This is obvious from the the steering feel to the flat out performance when you want. As for a daily driver, you have to choose if you are willing to give up some suspension comfort for the go cart handling. I would suggest if you go this route, get a base "M" as the competition models are even more aggressive on the suspension to the point of harshness.
  2. M340 - The new M340 has some impressive power and some of the F30 handling characteristics missing from the E9x have improved, primarily the steering feel. The new electronic dash has some great features and the HUD is a significant improvement over the previous model. Seating, driver controls, feel is improved. My main beef is the car feels big to me and it is the size of a 15 year old 5er. I like the new grill and the lines are nice. This will be new for another 5 years as next model is years away.
  3. 340i - This comes in close third as the LCI has refined itself nicely over the years. The late model steering is much improved. I went this route as the "M" carries a 20-30% premium and the insurance is nearly double. To get the M340i performance at minimum takes the MPPK ($2,650 + install) and you are still little short. Economically, this is the way to go, some newer years have rare colors and well optioned examples are available for pretty good prices.
I went the 440i Coupe route as I found a very nice rare BMW Individual for a great price. This one is up to you, if you can afford a "M", I would do it, no regrets! I always wanted the "M" and I will have one day, just not right now.
Nice write up... always forgot about the increase in insurance premium
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #16
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Nice write up... always forgot about the increase in insurance premium
I should call my insurance company and figure out how badly I would be paying on an M3 or M4!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:57 PM   #17
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I should call my insurance company and figure out how badly I would be paying on an M3 or M4!
Hahaha... you better or else you get shock.

My 25 yr old friend pay $1249 for 6 month. ( that's a used 2015 M3). Clean driving record.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #18
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I would get a cheap used 340i off lease and put Bootmod3 on it. It will be a hair faster than the M340i. The G20 is not worth the extra money in features, looks, or performance.
This is the route I went.

Picked up a loaded CPO 2017 340i for 32500 that had 19,800mi on it.

Pocket the remainder for other things in life.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:53 AM   #19
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Get the used M3 if you want stick. Otherwise it's g20 all the way. It is m light without the hangover. F30 modded still won't have chassis balance and the g20 has more horses to extract if you waterboard the ECU.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      04-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #20
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Get the used M3 if you want stick. Otherwise it's g20 all the way. It is m light without the hangover. F30 modded still won't have chassis balance and the g20 has more horses to extract if you waterboard the ECU.
Pretty much this. I'm sticking with my F3x because I want to keep my manual transmission. But without that in the picture, the G20 is better in every way. Faster, more efficient, and more creature comforts, and comes standard with performance options (Exhaust, LSD) that the F3x didn't get without an upcharge. It also comes with a bigger turbo that can be tuned to over 500whp without much work. I'd get it over the F80 M3 because the new G80 M3 will be coming out in the next 12 months and also the F80 sounds bad.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
eluded3035.00
      04-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #21
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Get the new G20 M340 if you want latest and greatest. Get a 440GC with Msport 356hp if you want to save some money and want performance similar to the M340i The GC is wider and lower than the F30 340i and BMW stiffened the chassis chassis to reduce flex. I would think the M340 chassis is very similiar to the 440 coupe/GC.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #22
CTNYCLurk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335 FBO

Hmm also in a same situation..which one of the 3 would have the greatest resell value after 2 years? Id assume the f80 m3 from 2016/2017, monthly payments are higher but you will get back some of that after a 2 year depreciation right?
Appreciate 0