F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > FYI Dinantronics Sport Performance Tuner logs on N20
ARMA SPEED

09-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
ktw
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 f31 328i xDrive

FYI Dinantronics Sport Performance Tuner logs on N20

Just want to share these in case they are of interest to anyone. I have seen some reviews/comparisons of the Dinan sport tuner but never came across any logs.
  • Car: 2014 F31 328i xDrive
  • Odometer: ~55k mi
  • Gas: CA 91 octane
  • Ambient temp: 79 F
  • Elevation: sea level
  • Motor: N20 EWG
  • Tune: Dinantronics Sport Tuner in Sport+ setting
  • Spark plugs: NGK SILZBR8D8S @ 0.028-0.029", ~5k mi
  • Coils: stock, ~55k mi
  • Engine mods: ER TIC and CP, BMS OCC
  • Test: 3rd gear WOT

Logs for two pulls are here:
https://datazap.me/u/ktw/20sep2020-d...log=0&data=3-6
https://datazap.me/u/ktw/20sep2020-d...log=0&data=3-6
(For reference, stock logs w/o the tuner are here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760119)

Remember, the Dinan sport tuner plugs into the pre-throttle pressure sensor and modifies it's signal, so the modified signal is being recorded here!

A few things that stick out to me from these logs:
  • Pre-throttle boost = MAP when throttle is at 100%. This is interesting since the tuner only plugs into the pre-throttle pressure sensor. My guess (nothing to back it up besides these data) is that the DME has some automatic error correction where MAP is calibrated by the pre-throttle pressure at some standard condition. This is how the Dinan tuner can increase boost to the engine without changing the MAP signal. If this weren't the case, the DME would close the throttle and eliminate the benefit of adjusting the pre-throttle pressure sensor. It might be possible to test this by changing the Dinan tuner setting while logging, but I'm not interested enough to do this myself.
  • STFT seems consistently a bit higher than when running stock. This could be the DME correcting for the increased air being delivered compared to what it thinks based on pre-throttle/manifold pressure.
  • Timings aren't good, but that's also the case in stock form for my car right now, so it may not be (probably isn't) a result of the Dinan tuner.

In terms of real-world feel, the Dinan tuner is certainly a noticeable gain in power/torque. In particular it provides a much more sudden burst of torque at 2500-3000 rpm compared to stock, which is a smoother build up. For day-to-day driving, I never found it to be so severe that it was a problem, but I'm curious to find out soon how it compares to BM3.
Appreciate 2
Zanity731.00
      09-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Bootmod3 has smoother delivery with more power across the RPM

The Dinan sport is a great tune for daily driving, very nicely priced with noticeable power.

Bootmod3 is a complete flash tune that gets you a lot more power and features

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0