F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2013 335i M-sport mod suggestions?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
Nepal
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 335i M sport

2013 335i M-sport mod suggestions?

My CA told me my car is scheduled to come around March 20, so it's coming!!!
My order is:
335i M sport package, EB II, 18" staggered tires (225/255)
leather, driver assistance plus package, HK are pretty much all I got. For a guy who live in SoCal, heated seat is a joke to me (there are some cold mornings in socal and heated seats come standard on my TL however my butt always warm up the seat way before the heater kick-in, what's the point?). For a guy who doesn't even have a cell phone, the technology package seems ridiculous. However, a fatal mistake has been made: my car doesn't come with DHP.

When I placed my order with my CA, I configured my car on BMWUSA website. When I tried to select DHP that stupid website pop out a window said in order to select DHP I have to de-select M-sport package or something like that. So Both myself and my CA were confused and were misled to believe that DHP was already included in the M-sport package.

Big mistake!

From what I read these days here, it seems DHP is probably the ONLY package I need for my car. I don't know if there is any ways I can get the DHP now with out bending over to the dealer, if possible at all?

My humble expectation is: this new coming 335i should drive easily, noticeably better than my current 2006 TL. Based on the price I paid for my 335i compared with price I paid for my TL, I am not asking too much, am I?

Here comes the questions:
1. What's the most popular mods for 335i? I don't want to go crazy or do anything to hurt the car's long term reliability for sure.
2. What I can do to get something similar to BMW's DHP can offer?
3. Anyone put a chip in your car knows anything about the long term reliability of the engine?
4. M-performance exhaust: does it really make a big difference for the sound? Does it really increase the horse numer?
5. Anyone know any decent shop for window tint in San Diego/Orange County area?

Thanks for any comments.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

If you are worried about long term reliability of the engine and keeping your BMW warranty, take a look at the BMW performance power kit which is just coming out. Gives a good little extra punch to the engine with full BMW warranty. Go to the N55 section of the forum for a lot of discussion on this and the M-performance exhaust. The exhaust makes a nicer sound but probably not that much of a hp and torque gain.

I will probably go for the performance power kit or a Dinan tune for the extra punch that I don't need but really want.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
If you are worried about long term reliability of the engine and keeping your BMW warranty, take a look at the BMW performance power kit which is just coming out. Gives a good little extra punch to the engine with full BMW warranty. Go to the N55 section of the forum for a lot of discussion on this and the M-performance exhaust. The exhaust makes a nicer sound but probably not that much of a hp and torque gain.

I will probably go for the performance power kit or a Dinan tune for the extra punch that I don't need but really want.
Thanks. I know Dinan also match BMW's warranty, right? Do you know anything about it's long term (>100,000 miles) reliability on engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

1) I'd say the most common mod currently is the Black kidney grill addition which just changes the look the car. The second most common is the Performance Exhaust which doesn't really add any extra HP, just the sound.
2) There is really nothing you can do to the suspension to get the DHP equivalent. I wouldn't modify that area if you plan on keeping your warranty. Your M Sport suspension will be fine.
3) There have been very few people who have done an engine tune. The JB piggyback is pretty much all that's out right now. To retain the warranty most people are waiting for the M Performance Power Kit by BMW or the Dinan Tune. Long term reliability is the reason to go with these more expensive yet more conservative tunes.
4) M-performance exhaust really doesn't add much HP. If you wanted a significant increase, then you'd go with a new downpipe.
5) If you're looking for a high quality tint install in OC, then go to TintPlus or TintPros. They are a certified Pinnacle F1 tint dealers. I used TintPlus on a few vehicles but switched to TintPros because they were getting a little too expensive. TintPros did a very professional job.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
1) I'd say the most common mod currently is the Black kidney grill addition which just changes the look the car. The second most common is the Performance Exhaust which doesn't really add any extra HP, just the sound.
2) There is really nothing you can do to the suspension to get the DHP equivalent. I wouldn't modify that area if you plan on keeping your warranty. Your M Sport suspension will be fine.
3) There have been very few people who have done an engine tune. The JB piggyback is pretty much all that's out right now. To retain the warranty most people are waiting for the M Performance Power Kit by BMW or the Dinan Tune. Long term reliability is the reason to go with these more expensive yet more conservative tunes.
4) M-performance exhaust really doesn't add much HP. If you wanted a significant increase, then you'd go with a new downpipe.
5) If you're looking for a high quality tint install in OC, then go to TintPlus or TintPros. They are a certified Pinnacle F1 tint dealers. I used TintPlus on a few vehicles but switched to TintPros because they were getting a little too expensive. TintPros did a very professional job.
Thanks a lot, DT!! Great info. Some follow-up questions, though:
1. I think black kidney grill already come with my M package, right?
2. How much do I expect a tint job done at TintPros? Any suggestion of choices?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Anonymous Henchman #5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i M-sport MT EBII

Congrats on your order! I have a similar car: 335i M-sport EBII with 19" 403M wheels, DHP, Technology package, rear view camera, parking sensors, and M performance exhaust. I agree, cold weather package in Cali is for sissies!

The DHP was literally a last second order. I was skeptical about ordering it, particularly because my CA knew nothing about it. But it turned out to be awesome. I really love it. Mainly, I like the ability to switch between comfort and sport. Ten years ago, when I was 25 and single, I wouldn't have really cared but now I have a family and it's nice to have "wife mode" and "fun mode." I've heard good reviews about the passive sport suspension though. If it still feels too soft to you, then I would recommend looking into the M-performance suspension. You won't be able to switch into a "comfort" mode like in the DHP, but you'll have a nice tight suspension all the time (plus it's lowered another 10mm, so you have an added aesthetic bonus).

In regards to power mods, I'm personally waiting for the M performance package. I've done aftermarket stuff in the past with prior cars like my old Subaru STI. But a BMW is way more expensive and sophisticated, and I'm not going down that road again. I'll keep my warranty intact, thank you.

The M performance exhaust sounds great, but I wouldn't mind if it was a tad louder. I don't think it adds anything noticeable in actual performance.

Regarding the tint. I used to live in San Diego. I had a Mini Clubman that I took to a place called Tint Devil. They did a pretty decent job.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

1) Black Kidney grills do not come with the M Sport Package (they are black but have a chrome trim). It's about $100 sold at your dealership.
2) Tint job is $400 for formula1 Pinnacle tint (top of the line ceramic which very few installers carry). It includes all windows except front windshield. I got light (50%) on the front two, and medium (35%) the rest of the way around.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Henchman #5 View Post
Congrats on your order! I have a similar car: 335i M-sport EBII with 19" 403M wheels, DHP, Technology package, rear view camera, parking sensors, and M performance exhaust. I agree, cold weather package in Cali is for sissies!

The DHP was literally a last second order. I was skeptical about ordering it, particularly because my CA knew nothing about it. But it turned out to be awesome. I really love it. Mainly, I like the ability to switch between comfort and sport. Ten years ago, when I was 25 and single, I wouldn't have really cared but now I have a family and it's nice to have "wife mode" and "fun mode." I've heard good reviews about the passive sport suspension though. If it still feels too soft to you, then I would recommend looking into the M-performance suspension. You won't be able to switch into a "comfort" mode like in the DHP, but you'll have a nice tight suspension all the time (plus it's lowered another 10mm, so you have an added aesthetic bonus).

In regards to power mods, I'm personally waiting for the M performance package. I've done aftermarket stuff in the past with prior cars like my old Subaru STI. But a BMW is way more expensive and sophisticated, and I'm not going down that road again. I'll keep my warranty intact, thank you.

The M performance exhaust sounds great, but I wouldn't mind if it was a tad louder. I don't think it adds anything noticeable in actual performance.

Regarding the tint. I used to live in San Diego. I had a Mini Clubman that I took to a place called Tint Devil. They did a pretty decent job.
+1 "wife mode" and "fun mode"
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Nepal
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=Anonymous Henchman #5]

I was skeptical about ordering it, particularly because my CA knew nothing about it. But it turned out to be awesome. I really love it.

Tell me about it!!

then I would recommend looking into the M-performance suspension. You won't be able to switch into a "comfort" mode like in the DHP, but you'll have a nice tight suspension all the time.

It's too late to realize that the M sport package doesn't even come with M-performance suspension!! Thank you, BMW!

Thanks or the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Nepal
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
1) Black Kidney grills do not come with the M Sport Package (they are black but have a chrome trim). It's about $100 sold at your dealership.
2) Tint job is $400 for formula1 Pinnacle tint (top of the line ceramic which very few installers carry). It includes all windows except front windshield. I got light (50%) on the front two, and medium (35%) the rest of the way around.
Appreciate 0