F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 Touring Tailgate Problem 62 plate
Extreme Powerhouse

11-04-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
icejim74
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 - BMW 320D MSport Touring

Unhappy F31 Touring Tailgate Problem 62 plate

Hi, My first post on this forum. I have got a tailgate problem. It suddenly stopped working the other day. The main tail gate would not lift from key fob/hand sensor on the lid. It judders like it want to move and doesn't. At the time the glass lid was working and still locked. I took it into my local BMW garage and they told me it needs a new locking mechanism. They said it was dirty and contaminated. I live near the beach so can I accept that. They cleaned it and got it functioning again, but only lasted for 2 days after paying out over £130.00. Current status is the tailgate is now doing the same but the glass lid is also not opening. Complete lock down.

I am concerned they have not diagnosed the fault fully and I am expected to pay more hundreds of pounds. I believe it may be more electrical than mechanical. What's your thoughts on the above? Does any one have details on the fuse box layout and which fuse number does what? The interior lights are now behaving weirdly. When driving at the night, the convenience lightning when entering the vehicle stays on.

Thanks in advance.

Mr J.N.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

My previous car, not a bmw, was legendary for throwing weird and random electrical gremlins as the battery began to give up even though it would turn the starter motor without issue and still hold charge

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
flashollie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 2017 335d black

I had a E61 series touring til last month. They had a notorious fault with the wiring loom to the rear tailgate.
The 2 cable bundles through the hinges to the tailgate were far too tight and not of a high flex type cable.Over time the cables become brittle and go open circuit or worse the insulation fails and they start shorting across each other giving all sorts of weird faults.
The fix is fit new loom from within the roof mounted speakers. Not a straight forward job but Quarry motors did it for me for a good price. Dealer was after about £700 per side I think.

Now I'm in the F31 club I don't know if this is a common problem on this model or not but some of your symptoms are similar to what I had on the E61.

Last edited by flashollie; 11-06-2017 at 02:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Touring driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 320 touring m sport 2013

Did you solve it icejim?

Sounds like we have similar a similar problem, did you get to the bottom of it? We have had a new FEM module, whatever that is! and a new catch, but none of these worked. Ours started with the tailgate wanting to open and making the noises, but failing, then within hours, the doors failed to open. Had to use the key in the lock. Our glass opens ok though. We've currently spent £1000 (fem) this was to fix it once and for all (dealers words)! They then fitted the catch without charge. We have lost complete faith in the dealer, they clearly have no idea. Really hoping you can shed some light on it.
It's a 2013 F31 Touring.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
icejim74
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 - BMW 320D MSport Touring

Fault Now Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring driver View Post
Sounds like we have similar a similar problem, did you get to the bottom of it? We have had a new FEM module, whatever that is! and a new catch, but none of these worked. Ours started with the tailgate wanting to open and making the noises, but failing, then within hours, the doors failed to open. Had to use the key in the lock. Our glass opens ok though. We've currently spent £1000 (fem) this was to fix it once and for all (dealers words)! They then fitted the catch without charge. We have lost complete faith in the dealer, they clearly have no idea. Really hoping you can shed some light on it.
It's a 2013 F31 Touring.
Hi Touring driver,

My problem did get fixed. It was a case of trial & error. Initially they said a new locking mechanism catch in the bottom [v-slot opening]. This was installed and improved it slightly, but was still only an intermittent fix. After every 10-12 open/closes it would not open again.

More investigation led to the cable from locking catch leading up to the solenoid motor which has an internal cam mechanism which controls the lockdown of the boot. This is located inside the boot on the left. This was replaced and all is now working as new. The cam mechanism/solenoid motor fault was also the reason to the internal light problems I experienced as it was confused as to when it was open/not open.

Total outlet for labour and the two parts was £560.00 [which includes the initial labour cost of £130 on my first visit to the garage]

Not sure what an FEM module is. All the issues/fixes above was in the rear of the car.

Hope this helps you out.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
CT1
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by icejim74 View Post
Hi Touring driver,

My problem did get fixed.

More investigation led to the cable from locking catch leading up to the solenoid motor which has an internal cam mechanism which controls the lockdown of the boot. This is located inside the boot on the left. This was replaced and all is now working as new. The cam mechanism/solenoid motor fault was also the reason to the internal light problems I experienced as it was confused as to when it was open/not open.
Good info this as I use my auto opening tailgate serveral times a day I'll remember this for when it stops working.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:14 AM   #7
Touring driver
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply Icejim it may be useful information as it’s going back in on Friday. I’ll keep the thread updated for anyone who needs it
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #8
Touring driver
Registered
Rep

Mine is fixed! It was the soft closer, the dealer covered the cost. It works better than it ever did now.
Hope the feedback helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #9
MRTV
BMW Touring F31
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 Touring 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by icejim74 View Post
Hi Touring driver,

My problem did get fixed. It was a case of trial & error. Initially they said a new locking mechanism catch in the bottom [v-slot opening]. This was installed and improved it slightly, but was still only an intermittent fix. After every 10-12 open/closes it would not open again.

Total outlet for labour and the two parts was £560.00 [which includes the initial labour cost of £130 on my first visit to the garage]

Not sure what an FEM module is. All the issues/fixes above was in the rear of the car.

Hope this helps you out.
Hi There

thanks for your post on the tailgate problem. I am experiencing the same now. Was the solenoid the problem or the cable. Which was replaced. The solenoid or the cable. Also. do you know how to manually release the tailgate. Is this an easy job if I want to do this myself please
Appreciate 0