F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Used cars prices are going bonkers!
ARMA SPEED

11-23-2021, 04:13 AM   #815
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
The issue I have is most of my journeys now seem to involve round trips of 50 miles or less with not a huge amount of either dual carriageway or motorway running. The M340i will obviously cope with that sort of work without a problem but I don't think it really plays to its strengths and being honest for twisty A and B-road driving I'd rather be in the Mini!

To be fair my mileage profile has been influenced by some short-term family issues as well as the pandemic so I'm still clinging to the belief the M340i will come into its own eventually. However, on more than one occasion I've found myself thinking I'm wasting a lovely car and could probably save money by getting something smaller which would actually be better suited to what I seem to be doing most of the time....
I dont think you are alone in that last thought....but I know that if I decided to swap it for something "more sensible" I'd just end up with something else not really sensible...

So I'm sticking with what I have in the belief that worst case scenario, I'll pat off the Audi and keep it as my last hurrah ICE...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #816
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I dont think you are alone in that last thought....but I know that if I decided to swap it for something "more sensible" I'd just end up with something else not really sensible...

So I'm sticking with what I have in the belief that worst case scenario, I'll pat off the Audi and keep it as my last hurrah ICE...
Yep, in a similar camp too. Last week i am selling, this week i am keeping.....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:38 AM   #817
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

I just looked at the potential value for my 2018 440i GC @ 9k miles... It's now worth more than what I paid, which means I could possibly only lose ~1k if I sold it to a dealer.

Add to the fact that it's half paid off (thanks to the value left in the 435d I used for trade in) I have this thing holding a sizable chunk of value I feel I could chuck into something else.

It's *very* tempting, but there's nothing else I'd want within a sensible price range, and now with petrol prices being an absolute joke it just doesn't make any sense to get anything with a bigger engine, like an M5 which is what I'd be after.

That and I adore it, and really want to remap it to get the full potential out of the lovely B58.

But... the temptation is *strong*.
      11-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #818
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by g9icy View Post
I just looked at the potential value for my 2018 440i GC @ 9k miles... It's now worth more than what I paid, which means I could possibly only lose ~1k if I sold it to a dealer.

Add to the fact that it's half paid off (thanks to the value left in the 435d I used for trade in) I have this thing holding a sizable chunk of value I feel I could chuck into something else.

It's *very* tempting, but there's nothing else I'd want within a sensible price range, and now with petrol prices being an absolute joke it just doesn't make any sense to get anything with a bigger engine, like an M5 which is what I'd be after.

That and I adore it, and really want to remap it to get the full potential out of the lovely B58.

But... the temptation is *strong*.
Depending on the mileage you do, a tank of fuel is more expensive, yes, however if you do low miles the cost per litre of petrol doesn’t make a huge amount of difference over a year if you were to run a M5.

I’m still loving mine, had it since July and it’s the best car I have ever owned or driven, probably the best I will ever own. I don’t regret it for one minute!!

If you want one, your mileage is not ridiculously high and can afford to stretch to one, then I would highly recommend it mate!!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #819
g9icy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe MSport

Don’t tempt me (frodo)!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #820
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Cazoo has dive bombed £2k down to £25.5k on my 340i in a week. However WBAC has made a sudden comeback up to £26.8....BMW offering £26k.

I was at a major dealer who cover various marques this week and they've put a complete stop on purchasing vehicles due to the usual pre Xmas lull and in short according to a salesman the market (used and new ) has gone dead. They have absolutely no idea what will happen in the new year.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 06:01 AM   #821
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Sold my 2019 X5 30d M Sport (G05) a month ago. Completely unplanned, but got an offer I couldn't refuse. For example, models of similar age and mileage as mine were on sale on BMW used for around £4K more than I paid new two and a half years ago. Have other cars so didn't *really* need the X5, so thought it was a good decision. My plans to sit on the money for a couple of years lasted about seven days before I put an order in for a G80 M3 Competition (due in May).
Appreciate 2
kzg19691299.00
G50954.50
      11-27-2021, 06:16 AM   #822
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Sold my 2019 X5 30d M Sport (G05) a month ago. Completely unplanned, but got an offer I couldn't refuse. For example, models of similar age and mileage as mine were on sale on BMW used for around £4K more than I paid new two and a half years ago. Have other cars so didn't *really* need the X5, so thought it was a good decision. My plans to sit on the money for a couple of years lasted about seven days before I put an order in for a G80 M3 Competition (due in May).
Have you ordered the M3 xdrive? Apparently it’s a lot better.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 06:28 AM   #823
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Have you ordered the M3 xdrive? Apparently it’s a lot better.
No. RWD. My long term plan was to wait for the M3 Touring which is due Nov 2022, but as that's coming in xDrive only, I wanted to drive a RWD M3 for a bit and then get the Touring in 2023/2024. The fact that the Touring is also coming as a facelift with the new interior (i4 interior with the wide continuous screen), it further motivated me to get a pre-LCI M3, as I don't like the new interior and therefore I may pass on the Touring altogether.

I've seen the reviews of the xDrive M3 and it's put me into a bit of a quandry. I don't feel I need the xDrive, nor do I particularly want it, but I'm worried about resale values of my M3 RWD when I come to sell it. Will people just not want the RWD M3? It's £3K less to buy than the xDrive so any loss in resale value will be counter-balanced by a lower purchase price.

BMW reckon RWD/xDrive sales will be 20%/80% split. In fact, I can see at some point BMW UK dropping the M3/M4 RWD altogether.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:49 AM   #824
Stan Dee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
No. RWD. My long term plan was to wait for the M3 Touring which is due Nov 2022, but as that's coming in xDrive only, I wanted to drive a RWD M3 for a bit and then get the Touring in 2023/2024. The fact that the Touring is also coming as a facelift with the new interior (i4 interior with the wide continuous screen), it further motivated me to get a pre-LCI M3, as I don't like the new interior and therefore I may pass on the Touring altogether.

I've seen the reviews of the xDrive M3 and it's put me into a bit of a quandry. I don't feel I need the xDrive, nor do I particularly want it, but I'm worried about resale values of my M3 RWD when I come to sell it. Will people just not want the RWD M3? It's £3K less to buy than the xDrive so any loss in resale value will be counter-balanced by a lower purchase price.

BMW reckon RWD/xDrive sales will be 20%/80% split. In fact, I can see at some point BMW UK dropping the M3/M4 RWD altogether.

Unless you are chasing tenths around a track or on a drag strip then the RWD is very accomplished in it's own right. Traction is massive improvement over F80 and there are many glowing reviews that pay testament to this.

Last edited by Stan Dee; 11-28-2021 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
mofomat791.50
      11-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #825
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Well I've just looked at Select Cars and my car is now £248 a month more than I'm paying for the deal I took out in March!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #826
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dee View Post
Unless you are chasing tenths around a track or on a drag strip then the RWD is very accomplished in it's own right. Traction is massive improvement over F80 and there are many glowing reviews that pay testament to this.
Yeah, it seems a world apart from the F80/F82 according to the vids. I sold my F82 M4 Coupe in 2019, which was frustrating to make progress in due to the questionable traction. The G80 seems so much better.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 03:25 AM   #827
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
It is when you’re waiting 8 months for a Golf R with no build date in sight!
Bought another car in the meantime until it arrives. Well worth keeping the order as it’ll be worth more than it’s list price when it comes.
That might be about the only reason for keeping the order if EVO's review is anything to go by - sounds like they weren't exactly blown away by the new Golf R. Mine you, it's only one review and, while I generally like the magazine, they're a fickle bunch; if they get one as a long-termer it might be the greatest thing since sliced bread by the end of it!

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/gol...m_medium=email
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      12-04-2021, 05:37 AM   #828
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
That might be about the only reason for keeping the order if EVO's review is anything to go by - sounds like they weren't exactly blown away by the new Golf R. Mine you, it's only one review and, while I generally like the magazine, they're a fickle bunch; if they get one as a long-termer it might be the greatest thing since sliced bread by the end of it!

To be honest I've not seen many great reviews of it. A lot of it seems to be down to the new interior / controls etc, but from what I've read, appears to have lost it's way a bit
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 05:30 PM   #829
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:

Yes that review was mentioned on the Golf R forum when it went in the magazine a few months ago. I can understand comments about the infotainment system and lack of buttons as virtually every reviewer has comments about that, but this review mentions that it's not a great drive.

This is the polar opposite to what I've read/watched online elsewhere and the main reason I'm buying the car is for the drive. Maybe this reviewer was a having a bad day - or had a bad car but its not the impression I get from others and also people that own the Golf 8R.

Doesn't put me off in the slightest and I'll make my own judgement whenever it arrives but going by what people have said about it so far, including people that own one, I'm looking forward to getting it.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      12-05-2021, 02:00 AM   #830
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I just put in my wifes nearly 7 year old Lexus WBAC, and essentially its suggesting if we traded in now the monthly cost of ownership over 7 years has been £160/month, for a top spec fully loaded compact saloon, which is nuts.

But like rising house prices anything interesting we would replace it with costs stupid amounts now. The LR Model 3 we would replace it with is now £4k more expensive. Cost to change to a Model Y will be in the region of £40k!

I than checked the X, its showing £20k depreciation over nearly 5 years which is amazing for a £72k car, but cost to change to a new one.....£65k.

Here is what ours looks like and the new £120k render.

I can see why used prices are so high, new car prices are simply even more nuts and crazy, well for EVs anyways.

I doubt we'll be changing cars anytime soon.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:54 AM   #831
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yes the reality is that 'car prices are going bonkers'.
      12-05-2021, 03:27 AM   #832
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:

It is very hard to believe that VW appear to have got the MK8 Golf R so wrong and in my experience EVO are probably the most respected reviewers out there so there is little need to doubt them

I never got to drive the MK7 but my wife had a TTS which is I believe is very similar and that was a great steer.

Maybe VW are now trying to claw back the Emmisions costs scandal and are now skimping on product development accordingly
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:56 AM   #833
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post

Maybe VW are now trying to claw back the Emmisions costs scandal and are now skimping on product development accordingly
I think this is very true. The face lifted Tiguan has gone through quite a number of cost cutting steps, there is no way we would ever trade our 2019 model for the new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 07:08 AM   #834
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Maybe VW are now trying to claw back the Emissions costs scandal and are now skimping on product development accordingly
I also suspect key development is moving more to the EV platforms.

If so, is that dropping the ball, or more in line with where the perceived future is?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      12-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #835
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Maybe VW are now trying to claw back the Emissions costs scandal and are now skimping on product development accordingly
I also suspect key development is moving more to the EV platforms.

If so, is that dropping the ball, or more in line with where the perceived future is?
Clearly sensible to be diverting development budget towards future product direction, but it is a bit of a ball drop when you make your updated product comparatively worse than what has gone before. You could argue that rather than "waste" money making a Golf 8 that seems a step backwards from the 7.5, they could've just run out that model and diverted all budget to the ID.3 platform.

Comments above on the Tiguan I agree with, original model looks better and standard kit like the pan roof on the higher end models is now a cost option. Interior plastics are also a bit scratchy whereas before they felt up their with their Audi equivalents, but I'm a bean counter myself and I guess they're having to pay the piper after the emissions scandal.
      12-05-2021, 11:14 AM   #836
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Clearly sensible to be diverting development budget towards future product direction, but it is a bit of a ball drop when you make your updated product comparatively worse than what has gone before. You could argue that rather than "waste" money making a Golf 8 that seems a step backwards from the 7.5, they could've just run out that model and diverted all budget to the ID.3 platform.

Comments above on the Tiguan I agree with, original model looks better and standard kit like the pan roof on the higher end models is now a cost option. Interior plastics are also a bit scratchy whereas before they felt up their with their Audi equivalents, but I'm a bean counter myself and I guess they're having to pay the piper after the emissions scandal.
Isn't this an example of the games most manufacturers play, even BMW have been accused of dropping the performance in a new generation.

Then there are the options/specification changes across new models.

I remember years back when I had a Mk1 Ford Orion Ghia injection. Was well specified as a standard car. Seats particularly top notch, for such a cheap car. I had a Mk2 as a company car. Many of the finishing touches and trimmings were dropped. Seats were terrible, even the handbrake lost its enclosure and surround. There were some driving improvements, a better stereo, but it was not the 'complete' Orion I had in the Mk1.
Appreciate 0