F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > winter wheels/tires - wheel size and run/go flat?
ARMA SPEED

08-15-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Eville Rich
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 328dx wagon

winter wheels/tires - wheel size and run/go flat?

I've got a 2017 328d wagon. Xdrive and such. Owned since March 2019. The wheels are stock 18 running stock square size. Got rid of the Conti runflats in favor of go-flats with much improvement in ride quality, rain performance, and noise.

I'm starting to look at a winter wheel/tire setup. Here in Wisconsin, our roads get rough in winter so I'm looking at moving to 17 inch wheels for winter. I'm not too excited about the winter tire options in run flat form, but I also am thinking it might be a good idea. While I've added a jack, Slime, and plugs to my kit, I'm not too excited about the idea of using them in the winter. I've got a pretty good sense of what I'd get if I opt for go-flats, but wondering about the trade-offs and benefits of run-flats for winter and any experience with the small selection that is available.

I'm also wondering about wheel offset. I think the stock 17s are a +37 offset and have a width of 7.5 inches. Is that correct? A number of aftermarket 17s are 8 inches. Since the stock 18s appear to be 8 inches in width, I'm assuming the stock offset of +34 on the 18s would be appropriate for 17x8 wheels, too. What's the reasonable range of offset I can run in 17x8 w/ a 225 width tire before I run into problems (too far out or too far in)?

Thanks much!
Eville Rich
2017 328d wagon
Appreciate 0