F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Engine break and jerks
proTUNING Freaks

05-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
egrimisu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 420xd 190HP

Engine break and jerks

Hi guys,

Got a 2016 bmw 420xd automatic transmission at around 12000 miles a few months ago. The car was gorgeous, I replace my old 1.2 80hp opel corsa so the gap was pretty big. After around 5000 miles I got more used to it and now I think I feel strange things.

The car had no issues, only the EGR was replaced in warranty since I had some jerking symptoms (just for the record).

Lately i started feeling some jerks in low speed usually when shifting from 3rd to 2nd gear, these are not the same as the EGR jerks, the same jerk I feel when starting to move from 0 mph.

Also when I approaching an intersection and I stop at the red light I feel jerks in the break pedal how the car is changing the shifts in lower position (like acceleration jerks, i'm breaking and the engine is pushing the car so I don't have a smooth break). This is more visible when in sport and comfort mode and less in eco pro but still present. Could there be some issue with the clutch?

Last issue I feel the car is starting to vibrate in low rpm when I press the pedal. I hardly feel it but it is present.

Did you guys experienced something like this?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrimisu View Post
Got a 2016 bmw 420xd automatic transmission at around 12000 miles a few months ago.

Lately i started feeling some jerks in low speed usually when shifting from 3rd to 2nd gear, these are not the same as the EGR jerks, the same jerk I feel when starting to move from 0 mph.

Also when I approaching an intersection and I stop at the red light I feel jerks in the break pedal how the car is changing the shifts in lower position (like acceleration jerks, i'm breaking and the engine is pushing the car so I don't have a smooth break). This is more visible when in sport and comfort mode and less in eco pro but still present. Could there be some issue with the clutch?
The newer automatic transmission programming downshifts while slowing so as to keep the turbo spooled up and maximum power available. It's often more prominent in sports mode. If you watch your tachometer, it stays above 1200 rpm until it gets into 1st gear.

There is no "clutch", per se, as in a manual transmission car. However, the torque converter has a mode in it where it partially disengages while at stops, to save fuel. It could be that you're feeling it re-engage when starting off. Have never heard of problems with the torque converter...

Sorry can't help with the rest.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Scanned the baby with Bimmerlink, got a couple of errors, do these speak to you (bimmerlink is posting the errors in german unfortunately)?

Info memory
16 errors
Zentrales Gateway
4 errors
101008: nicht auflösbares uneindeutiges Routing - SG nicht in der SVT Soll Tabelle
100600: Flexray Protokoll Startup Zeit ist zu hoch
100104: HW Weckgrund ZGW
100204: Botschaftsueberwachung: Systemkontextsignal ausgeblieben
Längs und Querdynamik Management
4 errors
4827F9: QDM-SKR - Korrekturfaktor Radradius - Lernbedingung 2
4827F8: QDM-SKR - Korrekturfaktor Radradius - Lernbedingung 1
482651: Schwimmwinkelschätzer - Inputs nicht gültig SBS
482656: Schwimmwinkelschätzer - interne Degradation wegen SBS
Dynamische Stabilitätskontrolle
1 error
480AB5: Verteilergetriebe Langzeitschutzfunktion vom LMV angeford
Front Electronic Module
1 error
804029: NVM_QUEUE_EEPROM
TreiberModulScheinwerfer 3 links, CAN-Variante
1 error
410300: Signal (Zeit_Sekunde_Zaehler_Relativ, 0x328): ungültig
TreiberModulScheinwerfer 3 rechts, CAN-Variante
1 error
420300: Signal (Zeit_Sekunde_Zaehler_Relativ, 0x328): ungültig
Funktionszentrum Dach L7
1 error
801A20: CAN_E_TIMEOUT
Heiz-Klima Steuergerät
3 errors
078022: Botschaft (Fahrzeugzustand, 0x3A0) fehlt
07802B: COMM_E_NET_START_IND_CHANNEL_0
078043: LINIF_E_RESPONSE
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Dynamic stability control
1 error
480AB5: transfer case Long-term protection function requested by LMV
Front Electronic Module
--------------------------
I would ignore everything but the above (they're all nebulous communications errors as near as I can tell, or one time things.)

Not sure about the DSC/Transfer case error. There have been sever 328xd in the USA that have had problems with the transfer case failing. Read those threads (Search) in the N47/N57 section and see if the descriptions seem similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 02:58 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Dynamic stability control
1 error
480AB5: transfer case Long-term protection function requested by LMV
Front Electronic Module
--------------------------
I would ignore everything but the above (they're all nebulous communications errors as near as I can tell, or one time things.)

Not sure about the DSC/Transfer case error. There have been sever 328xd in the USA that have had problems with the transfer case failing. Read those threads (Search) in the N47/N57 section and see if the descriptions seem similar.
As the transfer case is involved, wonder if it is tire related. Change of tires, or wear front to rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:26 AM   #6
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Your car is still under warranty. Have a dealer check on the problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #7
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Your car is still under warranty. Have a dealer check on the problems.
Nope, it is not, in Europe the warranty is only 2 years (I live in France), it expired in February.

Last edited by egrimisu; 05-13-2018 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: added country
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #8
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
As the transfer case is involved, wonder if it is tire related. Change of tires, or wear front to rear.
Well I did change the wheels around 1 month ago and put on the summer shoes. These and those that I use for winter are as new, the car has only around 20000 miles (36000 km). The tires are like new, I cannot see more wear on the front/rear tires, they all look the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
Quote:
Well I did change the wheels around 1 month ago and put on the summer shoes. These and those that I use for winter are as new, the car has only around 20000 miles (36000 km). The tires are like new, I cannot see more wear on the front/rear tires, they all look the same.
When you say you changed the wheels, have you changed them like for like size wise? Or has there been a change in wheel size and therefore tyre circumference etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshd63 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
When you say you changed the wheels, have you changed them like for like size wise? Or has there been a change in wheel size and therefore tyre circumference etc?
Well, Both are 18inch and 45mm height but the summer are wider, 245 and the winter were 225.
Please note that all error messages were deleted 4 days ago, those 16 that I posted popped up 2 days ago. I deleted those again today, I will wait a couple of days and I'll rescan the car again to see if those are persistent.
Anyway I'm a little disappointed by my car, I had an Opel corsa that has now 250000km ( 150000 miles) and only changed once the EGR and the lambda sonde, which cost around 200$. Very fiable in comparison with the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshd63 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well, Both are 18inch and 45mm height but the summer are wider, 245 and the winter were 225.
Please note that all error messages were deleted 4 days ago, those 16 that I posted popped up 2 days ago. I deleted those again today, I will wait a couple of days and I'll rescan the car again to see if those are persistent.
Anyway I'm a little disappointed by my car, I had an Opel corsa that has now 250000km ( 150000 miles) and only changed once the EGR and the lambda sonde, which cost around 200$. Very fiable in comparison with the BMW.
I'm no expert on this but I have read in other threads where xdrive owners have changed the outside circumference of their tyres and this has caused issues with the drive train... I think. Have a search on here hopefully you will find something
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your understanding of the numbers is not correct. Look at tirerack.com for a complete understanding of what they mean, but let me note a couple things.

I presume that you have a non-staggered setup, which means that all 4 wheels and tires are the same size (per set.) If your current tires are labelled 245/45R18 and your winter set 225/45R18, the OVERALL DIAMETER and CIRCUMFERENCE are not the same (between the two sets.)

The first number, 225 or 245, is the tire's tread width (approximate - different manufacturers differ a bit.) The /45 is not measured in MilliMeters - it is a PERCENTAGE (or ratio) that relates the width to the height of the tire's sidewall. In this case, the height is 45% of 245mm (or 225mm). You can see that the 245 width tires have a taller sidewall (in mm) than the 225 winter set.

The overall diameter also depends upon the wheel diameter, obviously. In this case I hope both sets of wheels are 18". The width of the wheel should be 8" - 9" (it's stamped on the backside.)

There's a tire size calculator at tirerack.com, but you may want to just look at examples: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1050762
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
See if the transfer box code comes up again.

You have deviated from the standard tyre sizing. Even with the same size front and rear, it is the rolling circumference (RC) that is critical with xDrive. You have a totally different rolling characteristic, compared to the 225 sections. Could simply be the tyre pressures need modifying (front to rear) to get the RC in tolerance. BMW recommended 'placard' pressures may not be working with the wider section.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #14
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
See if the transfer box code comes up again.

You have deviated from the standard tyre sizing. Even with the same size front and rear, it is the rolling circumference (RC) that is critical with xDrive. You have a totally different rolling characteristic, compared to the 225 sections. Could simply be the tyre pressures need modifying (front to rear) to get the RC in tolerance. BMW recommended 'placard' pressures may not be working with the wider section.
I have been mislead you guys, sorry, both are 225/45/R18, summer is 91Y and winter is 95V.

Name:  Summer.jpg
Views: 8374
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  Winter.jpg
Views: 8890
Size:  226.1 KB

I'm going to recheck tommorow if the error code popped back in.

Last edited by egrimisu; 05-13-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Don't know if it's related but had something similar to my car last year, dealer found low transmission fluid and tail end had a crack on it which was probably leaking a tiny bit. Full transmission had to be replaced, luckily under warranty.
Symptoms I had was hard downshifts at stops which jerked the car, more noticeable when car is cold still. Some jerking in acceleration and sometimes got stuck in 2nd gear for a bit before changing, got better when car was fully warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #16
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Ladies and gentlemen , the queen gave up!!!

Earlier today I was on the highway running home at around 75mph when suddenly the engine started to vibrate a little bit, lost some power (like 60% I would say) the smoke came out under the hood (or evaporated water) and the engine stopped. For around 5 minutes vapors or smoke continues to came out and a lot of water was on the ground. Nothing was wrong in the cluster or on the gps screen only after all the water was gone I got "Please check the coolant" message, what a nice Joke.

And the b*tch doesn't start anymore...

She's on her way to the dealer, warranty expired 2 months ago.

The EGR was replaced a couple of months ago, do you think this might be related since coolant is passing through the EGR if i'm not wrong? Maybe the boys did small mistake?

Name:  Photo-2018-05-14-18-56-55_4289.JPG
Views: 8336
Size:  875.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #17
Alexandru.k_24
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d 163HP

egrimisu ...holly f@$&#ng s@$t...i have the same symptoms that you have, regarding the transmission, but this time it's an F20. I have tried everything...replacing transmission oil, drive shaft flex discs, rear diff bushing...etc etc. The car still does all those things that you have mentioned on the first post. It's driving me crazy...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #18
egrimisu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandru.k_24 View Post
egrimisu ...holly f@$&#ng s@$t...i have the same symptoms that you have, regarding the transmission, but this time it's an F20. I have tried everything...replacing transmission oil, drive shaft flex discs, rear diff bushing...etc etc. The car still does all those things that you have mentioned on the first post. It's driving me crazy...
Hi there mate,

The cars still does that but I somehow got used to it and accept it soemhow.

The courious thing is that I bought a 1 series for my wife, same engien but sport line and does not jerk like mine does.

You might want to check your EGR as you may know a lot of these bmw have EGR problem.

I'm not sure where you are located geographically but in Oradea at the BMW dealer they do check the EGR with some kind of camera.
Appreciate 0