F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMWs and the ATT 3G Shutdown
proTUNING Freaks

08-19-2019, 02:33 AM   #1
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

As most know, BMWNA uses ATT for its communications data needs.

ATT has announced earlier this year its plan to discontinue its 3G Service in early 2022 to repurpose the frequencies for 4G/5G use.

https://www.business.att.com/content...-messaging.pdf

Many F3x BMW owners will remember what happened when ATT discontinued its 2G Service at the beginning of 2017.

For reference, Apple first introduced 4G in the iPhone 5 which was released in the USA (and Worldwide) in the Fall of 2012.

Likewise, BMW moved from CIC to NBT in the early ActiveHybrid 3 which was released about the same time. The NBT then replaced CIC in other 3/4 series cars with Navigation in the 2014 Model Year for the most part.

And we all know BMW is certainly not as cutting edge as Apple.

Looking at the TCB units, later units were described at 4G TCB, while earlier units have no band designation in their description.

For several months I have tried to determine when 4G chips first went into the BMW TCB units. I've come up blank as most BMW related people either have no idea what I am asking about or have no idea of the significance.

Does anyone know if the early TCB units have 4G service built in or when exactly were the 4G chips added to the TCB units?

I am curious to know if we are about to see another group of BMW's lose Connected Drive/SOS/Traffic and other services in less than 30 months?

EDIT: ALL NBT EVO units use ATM instead of TCB which has 4G Capability. F3x/F8x units started implementing NBT EVO/ATM in the 2016 Model Year (7/2015 Builds) providing the cars have Navigation.
Appreciate 2
Enabled1410.00
ImBlue30.00
      08-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

This is a great thought, because I was just researching this over the weekend. I know for sure mine is the 3G version.
I have been glancing around for the 4G version. RealOEM specifies which part number is the 4G TCB.

Upgrading to a 4g TCB is easy, except with mismatched ICCID (SIM ID) and IMEI (hardware ID), you will lose remote services and some other connectivity. I can transfer the eSIM (hot air soldering), but IMEI is a bit harder.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #3
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

09/2013 build 328d wagon, I see only 3G logo when using NBT to go online to see prices for services, etc. I don't have a 100% method to confirm that it doesn't go on 4G, but I can find out.

Any self swap with a used unit will require the ICCID and IMEI to be changed on the car. It's not just for TCB to ATM.

BMW connected drive team stores the ICCID and IMEI connected to your car on their servers. If the numbers mismatch, you will lose at least remote services.

When you buy a new one at the dealer, the connected drive department should receive your new ICCID and IMEI.
If you simply swap in a used TCB (or ATM for that matter), your ICCID and IMEI will remain recorded as on the previous car, and some functions will not work.

I've already gone through this when I swapped my original TCB with a used one of the same kind due to some damage, and I had to desolder the original eSIM (with hot air) and transfer it to replacement. This changed the reported ICCID. It wasn't enough to have remote services work, so I transferred the components that held the IMEI in as well. Then it restored all services as were originally intended.

Changing to another TCB or ATM is no different.
If doing it through dealer, then that may be ok, since they will update the info.
I have a good friend at BMW HQ engineering dept and he confirms this exact info.
Others:
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      08-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
09/2013 build 328d wagon, I see only 3G logo when using NBT to go online to see prices for services, etc. I don't have a 100% method to confirm that it doesn't go on 4G, but I can find out.

Any self swap with a used unit will require the ICCID and IMEI to be changed on the car. It's not just for TCB to ATM.
Agreed. My point was that one does not have to go through this if replacing TCB with TCB at Dealer.

Quote:

BMW connected drive team stores the ICCID and IMEI connected to your car on their servers. If the numbers mismatch, you will lose at least remote services.

When you buy a new one at the dealer, the connected drive department should receive your new ICCID and IMEI.
If you simply swap in a used TCB (or ATM for that matter), your ICCID and IMEI will remain recorded as on the previous car, and some functions will not work.
Again, agreed.

Quote:

I've already gone through this when I swapped my original TCB with a used one of the same kind due to some damage, and I had to desolder the original eSIM (with hot air) and transfer it to replacement. This changed the reported ICCID. It wasn't enough to have remote services work, so I transferred the components that held the IMEI in as well. Then it restored all services as were originally intended.
Agreed

Quote:

Changing to another TCB or ATM is no different.
If doing it through dealer, then that may be ok, since they will update the info.
The devil is in the details here.

First, if BMW "knows" you has a 3G TCB only, even if you have transplanted the SIM and IMEI into a new unit, there is no reason for BMW to maintain that account past the end of 2021 as their info is that you are on 3G which would not work at that time. Just telling them that they are incorrect probably will not get you anywhere as it will not match their info.

And for clarification, I do not believe a Dealer can change from a TCB and ATM and make it work in the BMW System. Only TCB to TCB and ATM to ATM.

Quote:
I have a good friend at BMW HQ engineering dept and he confirms this exact info.
Thanks for your response.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Cars built 03/2015 and beyond all have 4G LTE, anything below that is 3G.
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Source?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Source?
The M235i convertible was the first vehicle to implement it:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/a...language=en_US

Anyone here with a 2015 F22 built in March or later? https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1143681
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

Anyone here with a 2015 F22 built in March or later? https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1143681
That post in 2Addicts says those cars are the first to get the NBT EVO Headunits which use ATM, not TCB. All ATM units are certainly 4G capable.

BMW implemented NBT EVO and ATM units in the F3x/F8x in cars WITH NAVIGATION in the beginning of the 2016 (7/2015) Model Year.

Never a question about ATM units having 4G.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

That post in 2Addicts says those cars are the first to get the NBT EVO Headunits which use ATM, not TCB. All ATM units are certainly 4G capable.
I can't speak on the exact hardware but I know factually all vehicle's built after 03/2015 with iDrive 4 has 4G LTE and automatic map updates.

It was a big deal here, at the time, so if you do a search, you'll find more details on the specs.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

I can't speak on the exact hardware but I know factually all vehicle's built after 03/2015 with iDrive 4 has 4G LTE and automatic map updates.

It was a big deal here, at the time, so if you do a search, you'll find more details on the specs.
Again, F3x/F8x did not move to NBT EVO and ATM until 2016 MY (Build Date 7/2015) on Vehicles with Navigation.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My point is that if you do not go through the dealer, you will lose at least BMW Remote Services (app connection to car). So yes I agree with what you said, and that dealers do not do retrofits.
You may still retain features such as traffic info and whatever minor things there are left that you can do with the TCB system internet, but even some of those require custom hacks/coding once your module comes from a different car.

Here is what a TCB 4G looks like on the label. I've only been able to find them from 2016 and newer.
Maybe the 2015 ones just didn't specifically say 4G on them.
Attached Images

Others:
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #12
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

Again, F3x/F8x did not move to NBT EVO and ATM until 2016 MY.
Going by just the hard build date of 03/2015, ALL vehicles including the top-of-line 7 series didn't get 4G LTE sim until that date, regardless of its equipment.

I don't know how else to convey this.. :
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
First, if BMW "knows" you has a 3G TCB only, even if you have transplanted the SIM and IMEI into a new unit, there is no reason for BMW to maintain that account past the end of 2021 as their info is that you are on 3G which would not work at that time. Just telling them that they are incorrect probably will not get you anywhere as it will not match their info.
This is a good point. Updating may not be useful... and one step further, will they actually extend the ATT contract if you dealer-upgraded to a 4G system? Currently my connected drive says it has services until 2024, so I am curious how that will play out.

I will see if my friend can get a bit more info from the guys at connected drive.
Others:
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      08-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

Going by just the hard build date of 03/2015, ALL vehicles including the top-of-line 7 series didn't get 4G LTE sim until that date, regardless of its equipment.

The point I am making is we know later TCB units that are used in the CIC/NBT (not NBT EVO) do have 4G Capability.

We know that RealOEM lists a specific 4G TCB with a date starting 3/2015.

As stated previously, the earlier TCBs (of which there were several) did not have any spec in the description. As seen many times with realoem, that does not necessarily mean that a previous unit does not have the capability....only a slightly different descriptor for the new part number.

As the older part numbers extend past 3/2015, that also does not mean that all BMWs received the new part number on that date.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is a good point. Updating may not be useful... and one step further, will they actually extend the ATT contract if you dealer-upgraded to a 4G system? Currently my connected drive says it has services until 2024, so I am curious how that will play out.

I will see if my friend can get a bit more info from the guys at connected drive.
If you have a 4G unit that is in their system as a 4G unit (as thus, a Dealer installed unit), I cannot see why they would not extend it.

But in your case, where you modified.....

How did you obtain Connected Drive until 2024? Isn't it annual after the initial Factory Period?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

The point I am making is we know later TCB units that are used in the CIC/NBT (not NBT EVO) do have 4G Capability.

As stated previously, the earlier TCBs (of which there were several) did not have any spec in the description. As seen many times with realoem, that does not necessarily mean that a previous unit does not have the capability....only a slightly different descriptor for the new part number.

As the older part numbers extend past 3/2015, that also does not mean that all BMWs received the new part number on that date.
To put it layman's terms and process of elimination; if your vehicle was built on or after 03/2015, you can safely assume it has 4G LTE ATM, anything prior to that date has 3G, regardless of the underlining hardware.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

To put it layman's terms and process of elimination; if your vehicle was built on or after 03/2015, you can safely assume it has 4G LTE ATM, anything prior to that date has 3G, regardless of the underlining hardware.
Not a safe assumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRuf View Post
'15 with a 3/15 build and also have 3G with NBT
You also assumed in May that the MPerformance LSD would NOT work on XDrive, despite the FACTS I posted and your assumptions were proven incorrect after XDrive users lost their chance to purchase the unit at a deep discount.

Made this thread to get facts, not assumptions.

While your assumptions may eventually turn out correct, I am looking for facts.

Quote:
You're wasting your time and money; this part will not work an x-drive vehicle, specifically of how the system operates.

Good luck with all that..

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 10-29-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

Not a safe assumption

You also assumed that the MPerformance LSD would NOT work on XDrive, yet were proven incorrect.

Quote:
You're wasting your time and money; this part will not work an x-drive vehicle, specifically of how the system operates.

Wow, Ok bro, I was trying to help you but you're obviously set in your ways and want to be a dick about it, instead of verifying it yourself.

Believe what you want..
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      08-19-2019, 11:14 AM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Source?

Not a safe assumption

You also assumed that the MPerformance LSD would NOT work on XDrive, yet were proven incorrect.

Quote:

Wow, Ok bro, I was trying to help you but you're obviously set in your ways and want to be a dick about it, instead of verifying it yourself.

Believe what you want..
You cannot verify it. You are assuming. You even posted as such.

I am trying to verify.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

My 2016 428i GC, build date 6/2016 do OTA navigation updates which mean I have 4G LTE right🤔
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 04:22 PM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
My 2016 428i GC, build date 6/2016 do OTA navigation updates which mean I have 4G LTE right🤔
Correct

You actually have a NBT-EVO/ATM unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #22
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

If you really want to find out, go to your dealer and have them run your VIN. Heck, call the connected services number and ask them. They won't be able to renew if the hardware doesn't support the service.

There was a thread a year ago when this got announced that and if I remember correctly, you received a letter stating the EOL for connected services for your car if you were a subscriber.

You might have to go past being an arm-chair quarterback on this one if you're not going to believe what anyone else is telling you.....
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50