F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2014 BMW 428i won't start after going through puddle.
proTUNING Freaks

08-19-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
adesa1996
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

2014 BMW 428i won't start after going through puddle.

Hey all,

Quick question. Went through a decent sized puddle today at 6 AM while driving to work (in Panama City, FL) and made it through the puddle but ended up only making it another 30-40 feet before I came to a full stop and engine wouldn't start again. Don't think the puddle was that deep as when I drove through the water did not go over my hood. Ended up having it towed and decided to give it about 30 hours to dry before I attempt to restart it again.

Some added info that I think might be useful: still had power even after I came to a full stop, engine light came on, ignition malfunction notice came up on the dashboard screen and said to contact roadside assistance, couldn't shift to neutral after it seized up.

Any tips on what I should try to make it work before I take it to a dealer? Pretty nooby to car stuff so bear with me here. I have read waiting and seeing if it dries and to unplug the spark plugs and dry those out.

Last edited by adesa1996; 08-19-2019 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
How big was this puddle?? Tire deep? Is it a road you normally travel?

Any water on the floorboards?

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
adesa1996
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
How big was this puddle?? Tire deep? Is it a road you normally travel?

Any water on the floorboards?

I couldn't really tell how deep it was since I wasn't in the puddle when it had trouble. If I had to estimate, it was probablly like 6-10 inches. I did see other drivers who did get stuck in the puddle, when they stepped out it was just above their ankles.

No water got into my car so that was a plus. This is usually a road I travel and it hasn't gotten this bad before. PD did a bad job of not shutting it down like they usually do. Kind of puzzled me as I got stuck but other small size cars managed to get through.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Electrical damage to sensors etc or hydro locked engine. Report back when the shop/dealer tells you the issue. Do not fiddle around with the car.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #6
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I'm guessing when you say puddle you didn't notice this guy behind your car
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Fr3sh29.50
eluded3038.00
      08-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #7
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Did you check your air filter? If it is wet, you may have hydro locked your engine. The manual has something like a 10" limit on depth of water to drive through. My wife went through a puddle too fast during a Louisiana deluge 2 years ago and hydro locked the engine of my old e46. She had the kids in the car and had no idea the water was so deep and just wanted to get home. The car died about 300 yards after the water. The air filter was like a sponge, as so much water went in the grill and into the filter and then into the engine, where unfortunately destructive physics took over. The car ran great and was in great shape, and thus it was sad that we had to get rid of it, but with the insurance money and a now sympathetic wife I got a 2018 340. So I suppose it sort of worked out, but at a cost (new expensive car vs completely paid off car) and a ruined car. Good luck, hope it is a simple problem and not a more complex problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #8
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Did you check your air filter? If it is wet, you may have hydro locked your engine. The manual has something like a 10" limit on depth of water to drive through. My wife went through a puddle too fast during a Louisiana deluge 2 years ago and hydro locked the engine of my old e46. She had the kids in the car and had no idea the water was so deep and just wanted to get home. The car died about 300 yards after the water. The air filter was like a sponge, as so much water went in the grill and into the filter and then into the engine, where unfortunately destructive physics took over. The car ran great and was in great shape, and thus it was sad that we had to get rid of it, but with the insurance money and a now sympathetic wife I got a 2018 340. So I suppose it sort of worked out, but at a cost (new expensive car vs completely paid off car) and a ruined car. Good luck, hope it is a simple problem and not a more complex problem.
+1

I agree with this. Check to see if intake filter is wet. If it is wet, the engine will likely be hydrolocked, but bring it to a shop to see if they can manually get it to crank. If they can't get it to crank manually, you're going to need a new engine. If you open the intake and there's a pool of water in your lower air box, say your goodbyes to the car and call up your insurance because there's almost a 100% chance that you hydrolocked it. My 2015 M235i just got totaled this way and it's very unfortunate.

OP- sorry to hear about this and I wish you the best of luck with this situation!
      08-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Well yeah I would hope a PUDDLE would never go over your hood. I hope it's not severe damage.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilax59 View Post
Quote:
+1

I agree with this. Check to see if intake filter is wet. If it is wet, the engine will likely be hydrolocked, but bring it to a shop to see if they can manually get it to crank. If they can't get it to crank manually, you're going to need a new engine. If you open the intake and there's a pool of water in your lower air box, say your goodbyes to the car and call up your insurance because there's almost a 100% chance that you hydrolocked it. My 2015 M235i just got totaled this way and it's very unfortunate.

OP- sorry to hear about this and I wish you the best of luck with this situation!
Sorry to hear that. That really stinks.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #11
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adesa1996 View Post
I couldn't really tell how deep it was since I wasn't in the puddle when it had trouble. If I had to estimate, it was probablly like 6-10 inches. I did see other drivers who did get stuck in the puddle, when they stepped out it was just above their ankles.

No water got into my car so that was a plus. This is usually a road I travel and it hasn't gotten this bad before. PD did a bad job of not shutting it down like they usually do. Kind of puzzled me as I got stuck but other small size cars managed to get through.
Don't you distinguish between puddle and pond?
I have to agree with Cajun. Wet filter, not a good sign. Do you still have the OEM paper filter of one of these racing things?

Good luck
      08-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #12
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

The manual tells you what to do when you encounter water. As if it's any help, lol... leave it to the germans

"Driving through water
Observe water level and speed
Do not exceed the maximum water level
and maximum speed; otherwise, the vehicle's
engine, the electrical systems and the transmission
may be damaged.◀
Drive though calm water only and only if it is
not deeper than 9.8 inches/25 cm and at this
height, no faster than"
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumbyButter View Post
The manual tells you what to do when you encounter water. As if it's any help, lol... leave it to the germans

"Driving through water
may be damaged.◀
height, no faster than"
A manual don't have to tell me this... it just common sense, don't drive on one.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #14
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumbyButter View Post

"Driving through water
may be damaged.◀
height, no faster than"
I have a funny story to add to my point above. My brother in law found out my wife hydrolocked the engine because of driving through high water and wanted to help. Being the joker, he found out about the manual on the new car having the precise 9.8 inch limit for driving through water, so wanted to get her a ruler as a present with a mark at 9.8 inches so she would always know yes or no when it comes to what is high water for a BMW. As you may imagine she did not think this made for an ideal Christmas present.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Seriously....2nd owner in 3 weeks driving through "puddle" in Florida to kill their BMW. WTF.

There were actually Public Service Announcements on Florida TV during this time not to drive you car through standing water.

At least the Bimmer owners in Nawleans had the excuse it was where they parked their Bimmers and didn't drive through the water.

SMH.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:48 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Seriously....2nd owner in 3 weeks driving through "puddle" in Florida to kill their BMW. WTF.

There were actually Public Service Announcements on Florida TV during this time not to drive you car through standing water.

At least the Bimmer owners in Nawleans had the excuse it was where they parked their Bimmers and didn't drive through the water.

SMH.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #17
adesa1996
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Electrical damage to sensors etc or hydro locked engine. Report back when the shop/dealer tells you the issue. Do not fiddle around with the car.
Called insurance and started the process through them. Had the claim rep come out and look at the car and he said the air intake had some water in it. Currently the car is on the way to the BMW dealership
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #18
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
Quote:
Called insurance and started the process through them. Had the claim rep come out and look at the car and he said the air intake had some water in it. Currently the car is on the way to the BMW dealership
Then it is most likely hydrolocked, warranty will most likely not play a role in this situation. As you said the insurance adjuster came out. Dealership will claim the engine as a total loss. Insurance will probably then claim it's a total loss depending on the cost and labor of a brand new engine which I'm estimating to be 14-20k+. Be prepared to start looking for a new car to buy. Keep us updated, thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:54 PM   #19
adesa1996
Rep

Quote:
Then it is most likely hydrolocked, warranty will most likely not play a role in this situation. As you said the insurance adjuster came out. Dealership will claim the engine as a total loss. Insurance will probably then claim it's a total loss depending on the cost and labor of a brand new engine which I'm estimating to be 14-20k+. Be prepared to start looking for a new car to buy. Keep us updated, thanks
Will do! Funny thing is that I am already looking at another BMW. This time I won't be an idiot and drive into small rivers just because everybody else is doing it. If I do have to buy another car, lowkey feel kind of bad about leaving my current BMW lol I was so attached to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #20
esoj37
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

SMH.
We have plenty of dummies driving through flooded streets. There were so many cars stalled in the middle of the streets last flash flood.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:28 AM   #21
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Will do! Funny thing is that I am already looking at another BMW. This time I won't be an idiot and drive into small rivers just because everybody else is doing it. If I do have to buy another car, lowkey feel kind of bad about leaving my current BMW lol I was so attached to it.
Yes don't go through flooded streets, it is unsafe, but if for some reason you are caught on a street that suddenly floods due to rain or a flooded storm drain etc, drive slowly - ever so slowly. The issue for hydrolocking your engine is the water enters the air filter and then the engine. So go super slow and no wake. Again don't drive through flooded streets if you have a choice, but....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #22
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Yes don't go through flooded streets, it is unsafe, but if for some reason you are caught on a street that suddenly floods due to rain or a flooded storm drain etc, drive slowly - ever so slowly. The issue for hydrolocking your engine is the water enters the air filter and then the engine. So go super slow and no wake. Again don't drive through flooded streets if you have a choice, but....
I wold probably try to reverse. This would prevent the water coming over the bonnet and flooding into the air filter.