F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Xhp Transmission Flash
Extreme Powerhouse

05-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #45
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

If a group buy is successful, perhaps if a couple of members live local to each other, they can chip in to buy my spare Thor adapter, to save even more money. Would need to live locally to make this convenient tho.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:39 PM   #46
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by T20najam View Post
I’m in- hopefully it can be sooner rather than later so then I can get a remap after the flash. On their Facebook it did say the iOS will be released in q2 of 2019
If it's Q2 rather H2 that'd be good news.

PM me re the group buy ("XHP group buy") - will make it much easier to coordinate, and I don't want to have to trawl through posts looking for expressions of interest.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #47
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
If it's Q2 rather H2 that'd be good news.

PM me re the group buy ("XHP group buy") - will make it much easier to coordinate, and I don't want to have to trawl through posts looking for expressions of interest.
Done!
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #48
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

Done!

Keen to know from the guys who have experience in flashing before remap how much of a difference they noted?

Aiming to remap in a couple of months once my F31 335d has covered a few thousand miles to bed it in but wondered about flashing the AT first? Is it worth it os wait until the remap done?

Also for the guys that have flashed remapped cars, did you go with the stock Xhp provided settings or was it customised for you specific remap characteristics?
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #49
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

I'm gutted, downloaded the xhp app on to my daughters android tablet (5.02), thought shall we have a go, i had a bluetooth obd, needed to be a wifi one, so ordered the vgate wifi car pro yesterday, i ordered that one as i've not had any problems with the vgate bluetooth one , its come today and guess what, yep the xhp app wont open, the vgate obd has no problem connecting to the tablet and to Bimmercode and it connects to my iphone as well. So looks like i will have to wait longer, shouldn't have to buy just the Thor one, surely others cheaper ones should work. Any of you guys know of any that work.

Last edited by APJ; 05-24-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 02:44 AM   #50
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
I'm gutted, downloaded the xhp app on to my daughters android tablet (5.02), thought shall we have a go, i had a bluetooth obd, needed to be a wifi one, so ordered the vgate wifi car pro yesterday, i ordered that one as i've not had any problems with the vgate bluetooth one , its come today and guess what, yep the xhp app wont open, the vgate obd has no problem connecting to the tablet and to Bimmercode and it connects to my iphone as well. So looks like i will have to wait longer, shouldn't have to buy just the Thor one, surely others cheaper ones should work. Any of you guys know of any that work.
It's the main reason I haven't bought xHP yet (well, this and the £300 price tag!). I have a vgate adapter for bimmercode. I refuse to buy a different one for every bloody app!
Appreciate 2
APJ245.00
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 03:19 AM   #51
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainy View Post
It's the main reason I haven't bought xHP yet (well, this and the £300 price tag!). I have a vgate adapter for bimmercode. I refuse to buy a different one for every bloody app!
Exactly what i was thinking, surely a wifi adapter is a wifi adapter
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 03:21 AM   #52
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Obviously not, as xHP doesn't recognise mine either (I tried days ago)
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 03:30 AM   #53
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

I had 3 questions from reading the thread so far. The first has been answered above (i.e. the adaptor I use for Bimmercode won't work).

The other two are (i) where are the backups for restoring to stock saved; and (ii) is it detectable.

I found the answers in the xHP FAQs and thought I would paste them here for reference

Q: I lost/changed my Android device. How do I make xHP work again?

A: From App Version V2.0.3 on xHP saves all your data on our server, tied to your user account. When using a new device, be sure to select the same user account on first startup. If you selected the wrong one, re-install xHP, so it prompts you again. xHP will download your backups, saved cars and purchases afterwards.

Q: Will xHP void my OEM or dealer warranty?

A: xHP changes the calibration file on your TCU. Like every other tune on your vehicle, this will very likely void your OEM or dealer warranty, depending on your Country and/or guarantee contract. However, dealer testers are unable to detect xHP. You don’t need to remove xHP, before visiting a dealer.
Appreciate 2
APJ245.00
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 04:07 AM   #54
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is sometimes the case, but not regarding xhp. Different frequencies can be used, and as the Thor adapter was designed alongside to specifically work with xhp, it is the only adapter guaranteed 100% to be compatible with xhp. Also, it is the fastest and most secure adapter. You can try another adapter, but are taking a chance. My way of thinking is you might as well get the best straight away.
Like I have said earlier, I have a spare Thor adapter for sale, which will be up on eBay soon, as the only interest I have had is from a chancing timewasting idiot ...
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 04:33 AM   #55
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
I completely agree, you shouldn't need to buy a different adapter for each and every different app you use on your car.
I also have the vgate wifi adapter and would be more likely to purchase the xhp flash if it works with the adapter I already have.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 05:26 AM   #56
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainy View Post
Obviously not, as xHP doesn't recognise mine either (I tried days ago)
Which adapter was that ?
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 05:37 AM   #57
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
This is sometimes the case, but not regarding xhp. Different frequencies can be used, and as the Thor adapter was designed alongside to specifically work with xhp, it is the only adapter guaranteed 100% to be compatible with xhp. Also, it is the fastest and most secure adapter. You can try another adapter, but are taking a chance. My way of thinking is you might as well get the best straight away.
Like I have said earlier, I have a spare Thor adapter for sale, which will be up on eBay soon, as the only interest I have had is from a chancing timewasting idiot ...
Its not the cheapest of adapters, especially with its limited use, and if it only works for the xhp app. Xhp need to be more flexible, i had credit card in hand,but wasn't able to use it !!. Wish that would happen to the Mrs but that's another story
Why don't you put a price on here, i'm sure there will be plenty of interest, even myself, though still a bit miffed at there in-flexibility, you will also be able to save on eBay fee's.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #58
chrisgillett
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive auto

I would be interested in a group buy but cannot commit until I know the 'all in' price. I'm in Bristol and have a 2013 330xd.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #59
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgillett View Post
I would be interested in a group buy but cannot commit until I know the 'all in' price. I'm in Bristol and have a 2013 330xd.
Think that will be a very difficult thing to price, as it involves many people commiting and even putting up money upfront, otherwise whoever arranges it will have put up a lot of their own money to buy the bulk licence. I don't think we even have a price yet for the multi-user licence, i believe an email has been sent to xhp, but no price at the minute.

Also everyone will still have to buy their own adapter for when they want to change maps over, or even remove if they come to sell the car, can't see an adapter being posted all over the place, can you ?.

Another thing would also be should you change device that the maps are stored on, and need to put maps on new device, your backups are held on xhp servers for that account, how will you know which is your backup.

It all sounds a great idea, and i'd be up for it. But its probably just not going to be practical, and one person is going to have to do all the organising, and make a big commitment in paying for the multi-user licence, whilst many others will not commit, so the cost won't be known accurately until you've shown the money. And how do you deal with people who pay in the future, is the poor organiser going to have to dish us out small amounts after each new user joins us. As i said great idea, just not practical.
Appreciate 2
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #60
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

^ i think you've answered a question that he didn't ask
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #61
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Mini update for those interested in a group buy. I've asked the developer (at least, I understand he's the developer) about a group buy deal, but he didn't answer.

I'll try again in a week or so, once I've got a good idea of the number of people who are interested. Currently is stands at 7, including me.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #62
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Its not the cheapest of adapters, especially with its limited use, and if it only works for the xhp app. Xhp need to be more flexible, i had credit card in hand,but wasn't able to use it !!. Wish that would happen to the Mrs but that's another story
Why don't you put a price on here, i'm sure there will be plenty of interest, even myself, though still a bit miffed at there in-flexibility, you will also be able to save on eBay fee's.
ok, i would accept no lower than £45 inc insured delivery within the uk. this is quite a good price, as i paid £65 , which included delivery and the euro conversion rate and fee. if interested, please pm me.
as all have noted, its quite expensive for a wifi adaptor, but if it is the only one guaranteed to work, you are over the proverbial barrel. i tried loading the xhp flash using 2 other wifi adaptors, but was unsuccessful - both were recognised initially, but one wouldn't work straight away, and the other crashed/froze halfway thru the map transfer. thru a bit of dialogue between thor and xhp, i found out that thor were privvy to the architecture of the xhp map, and so were able to design their adaptor to suit, so worked right first time, as others failed. other imitations/alternatives are second guessing the xhp program architecture, or at best making educated guesses which aren't quite right - best to do certain things right first time ...
      05-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #63
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
^ i think you've answered a question that he didn't ask
I just like to be thorough !!!, we all like to go on our own little bandwagon now and again. Just thought you would want people to give commitment and assurances, as this will also benefit them

Also, i would join you, but i'm too impatient
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #64
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
ok, i would accept no lower than £45 inc insured delivery within the uk. this is quite a good price, as i paid £65 , which included delivery and the euro conversion rate and fee. if interested, please pm me.
as all have noted, its quite expensive for a wifi adaptor, but if it is the only one guaranteed to work, you are over the proverbial barrel. i tried loading the xhp flash using 2 other wifi adaptors, but was unsuccessful - both were recognised initially, but one wouldn't work straight away, and the other crashed/froze halfway thru the map transfer. thru a bit of dialogue between thor and xhp, i found out that thor were privvy to the architecture of the xhp map, and so were able to design their adaptor to suit, so worked right first time, as others failed. other imitations/alternatives are second guessing the xhp program architecture, or at best making educated guesses which aren't quite right - best to do certain things right first time ...
So you wouldn't take £40 then ?
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #65
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
I don't understand why a wifi adapter other than the Thor wouldn't work. If the device has a secure wifi connection to the car like my iPhone did with the vgate when I did some coding, why would there be a problem with another app on the same device connected through the same connection? maybe the developer has had a back hander from Thor so his app only works correctly with that device as the wifi bridge to the car and if you use another it disconnects and fails?
Having to purchase that Thor wifi adapter and not be able use a perfectly good one you already have makes the gearbox flash over 20% more expensive!
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      05-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #66
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Which adapter was that ?
Mine's a Vgate

/edit and despite being interested in this and/or a group buy. I won't be buying another adapter on principle. It's not like my gear changes are 'bad' and as Hooded quite rightly points out, I'm not paying a 20% premium on what I already consider an expensive bit of software (ok, I get economies of scale, but £300 to change some table values!)

Last edited by Stainy; 05-25-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00