F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Used 430i Convertible too good to be true?
ARMA SPEED

04-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
HiFiMarine
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36,Toyota 4Runner, MR2, Prius

Used 430i Convertible too good to be true?

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have not owned a BMW since my 96 318i. I have been looking to get back into another BMW since my wife fell in love with a 430i convertible we drove on vacation. In looking at used options a number of 2018s have been popping up at local dealerships. These are well equipped former rentals with mileage mostly in the mid to low 30K mile range selling for $25-$30K. This really seems almost too low at less than half of MSRP especially when 2015-2016 models with similar mileage are selling for over $30K. I am wary of a used rental and I know this is a lot of miles for a one year old car, but it still sees almost too good to be true.

Is there something about the 428i that is keeping the value high, or is this just the going rate for a 2018 considering the high mileage and rental history?

For our use we will putting less than 10K miles per year so mileage will eventually even out with more normal usage.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
silvercas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: One

What options do these vehicles have?

Here is an m sport 435
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WBA3T3C56G5A42294
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #3
HiFiMarine
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36,Toyota 4Runner, MR2, Prius

Most are similar to this one. This mileage is way too high, but there are many others out there in the mid 30K mile range

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #4
viajealmundo
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 428xi

HiFiMarine, in November, I got my F32 2015 428xi with 25k miles off-lease for only $26k, out the door. The pricing you are looking at is not uncommon.

Personally, I would buy your BMW from a dealership with CPO offerings. The extended warranty will cover you if anything seriously wrong happens. The only reason I bought mine from Carmax is that they bought it from a BMW dealership in Lexington and it was off-lease, and it was at a discount from alternatives that were CPO-priced.

Expect about $4k increase from regular, "used" car options. If you are looking at BMWs from generic auto stores, be wary. These are usually the vehicles that BMW dealerships sell because they are not selling or have issues.

Please let me know if you have questions about buying your F33, I am pretty well-versed in buying F3X as I did a ton of research on the market of these vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
silvercas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: One

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiMarine View Post
Most are similar to this one. This mileage is way too high, but there are many others out there in the mid 30K mile range

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight
these look basic with little options. I just see the navigation

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/ea31338
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I would be very skeptical to buy anything that was previously rented only because I know how I treat rentals, especially a sporty BMW. Also having a different driver with different driving habits changing out every week or so isn't the best thing for the car. But if there's still a healthy amount of warranty left, that lowers the risk a little I suppose, but I personally would stay clear of rentals.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #7
Scott_Oakville
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5d

Hey there -

I'm wondering if you pulled the trigger on a preowned rental? I'm looking at the same product and prices are pretty unreal. Low 20s for a 2018 430i cab with m sport or sport line. I too rented one and was very impressed with the little 4cyl turbo - fun ride for the $$$.

I rented one with a sports line pack, but I'd prefer an m sport. One thing I noticed was these off rental versions that have the m sport pack don't have the M badging on the front panels, nor the headrest vents I've seen in some video reviews I've seen online. Were there different variations of the m sport pack for 2018 430i cabs?

Tks for any assistance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiMarine View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have not owned a BMW since my 96 318i. I have been looking to get back into another BMW since my wife fell in love with a 430i convertible we drove on vacation. In looking at used options a number of 2018s have been popping up at local dealerships. These are well equipped former rentals with mileage mostly in the mid to low 30K mile range selling for $25-$30K. This really seems almost too low at less than half of MSRP especially when 2015-2016 models with similar mileage are selling for over $30K. I am wary of a used rental and I know this is a lot of miles for a one year old car, but it still sees almost too good to be true.

Is there something about the 428i that is keeping the value high, or is this just the going rate for a 2018 considering the high mileage and rental history?

For our use we will putting less than 10K miles per year so mileage will eventually even out with more normal usage.
Appreciate 0