F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unique-AD Wireless CarPlay
Studio RSR

05-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
steker
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steker View Post
I was wondering if you guys build in the CarPlay unit yourself or went to a shop to let someone do it for you. I haven't had the time yet to do it and I'm in doubt to do it myself.
Installed it myself. The hardest part for me was fitting all the new cabling back in the dash far enough so the head unit could be fully reinstalled.

They have a decent video on their YouTube channel for reference.
Aah thanks for that video. I'd didn't know they put that one up yet. Seems pretty straightforward.

So did you put the CarPlay unit in the same place as the video or did you open up the glove box compartment like in the instructions paper and put it in that in between space?
Also, did you boot up CarPlay the first time after you put everything back or did you test it earlier in the process?
And finally, where did you put the mic and USB port?

Many questions
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #46
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Joyeauto also posted a how-to video on F10 for this IDCORE wireless Carplay

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #47
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Aah thanks for that video. I'd didn't know they put that one up yet. Seems pretty straightforward.

So did you put the CarPlay unit in the same place as the video or did you open up the glove box compartment like in the instructions paper and put it in that in between space?
Also, did you boot up CarPlay the first time after you put everything back or did you test it earlier in the process?
And finally, where did you put the mic and USB port?

Many questions
1. Since I have full navigation, there wasn't room below the head unit, so my only option is to remove the glove box and put it in the empty space between the box and the head unit.

2. Yes, I tested it before putting everything back together.

3. I attached the mic to the headliner just left of the rear view mirror. The headliner is angled downwards, and the mic comes with a clip..similar to a clothespin, so I punched a hole in the liner just below it's edge and put one side of the clip in there.

The USB I pretty much kept internal and only ran part of a one foot cable through the seams in the trim just behind the cup holders. From there it's the perfect length to reach my phone when it's on it's magnetic holder. See pics.
Attached Images

05-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #48
steker
Private
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
1. Since I have full navigation, there wasn't room below the head unit, so my only option is to remove the glove box and put it in the empty space between the box and the head unit.

2. Yes, I tested it before putting everything back together.

3. I attached the mic to the headliner just left of the rear view mirror. The headliner is angled downwards, and the mic comes with a clip..similar to a clothespin, so I punched a hole in the liner just below it's edge and put one side of the clip in there.

The USB I pretty much kept internal and only ran part of a one foot cable through the seams in the trim just behind the cup holders. From there it's the perfect length to reach my phone when it's on it's magnetic holder. See pics.
That was very helpful! Thanks a lot for the answers and the photos (those made things very clear too).

I also have a F32 from 2014, but I don't know if it's full navigation or another form. How can I know? I have the 8.8" widescreen, with navigation, latest maps, Bluetooth, Connected Drive etc. I obviously prefer not to have to open the glove box compartment, but I think it might be the only way if I understand you correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #49
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
That was very helpful! Thanks a lot for the answers and the photos (those made things very clear too).

I also have a F32 from 2014, but I don't know if it's full navigation or another form. How can I know? I have the 8.8" widescreen, with navigation, latest maps, Bluetooth, Connected Drive etc. I obviously prefer not to have to open the glove box compartment, but I think it might be the only way if I understand you correctly.
If you have the 8.8" screen you have full nav, so unfortunately you'll have to remove the glove box. Depending on what video you watch for glove box instructions, some say you have to drop the airbag too...and that's not true, so don't worry about that.

05-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #50
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Vaguely off topic but where do you keep your phone when using carplay wirelessly? I found that my iPhone struggles with maintaining GPS unless it’s under the windscreen.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #51
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have had no GPS issues docking the phone next to the transmission stick
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #52
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
I have had no GPS issues docking the phone next to the transmission stick
Interesting. You in a 3-series? I’m in a 1-series.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #53
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
Interesting. You in a 3-series? I’m in a 1-series.
Yes, mind you, it has a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #54
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318d F30 LCI

Quote:
Quote:

If you have the 8.8" screen you have full nav, so unfortunately you'll have to remove the glove box. Depending on what video you watch for glove box instructions, some say you have to drop the airbag too...and that's not true, so don't worry about that.
It depends on if the car has the leg airbag optional. It's not that common so I think must of us won't have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
Vaguely off topic but where do you keep your phone when using carplay wirelessly? I found that my iPhone struggles with maintaining GPS unless it's under the windscreen.
I keep it in the armrest and didn't have any issue with gps. Some times I've noticed that the gps position was stuck and unlocking the iphone fixed it. Don't know why, probably a random bug.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #55
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
Got to install my box today. All went seemingly OK with everything checked and working. Came back to the car around an hour and half later to head home from my parents and the screen is showing no signal.

Nothing touched so not sure why it can be working sweetly an hour and half prior and then receiving a no signal message on my return. Can only now operate the radio through steering wheel and centre console radio front end, no iDrive for now.

Edit

Out of curiosity I went back out to the car and this time everything was ok. The only thing I did different was the way I opened up the car.

To come home I opened the car from the parents house and took a minute or so to get to the car after saying bye to the puppy.

The latest test I went to the car opened the car when I needed to open the drivers door and got straight in with the phone being in BT/WiFi range. Car display came on with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #56
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathian View Post
Got to install my box today. All went seemingly OK with everything checked and working. Came back to the car around an hour and half later to head home from my parents and the screen is showing no signal.

Nothing touched so not sure why it can be working sweetly an hour and half prior and then receiving a no signal message on my return. Can only now operate the radio through steering wheel and centre console radio front end, no iDrive for now.

Edit

Out of curiosity I went back out to the car and this time everything was ok. The only thing I did different was the way I opened up the car.

To come home I opened the car from the parents house and took a minute or so to get to the car after saying bye to the puppy.

The latest test I went to the car opened the car when I needed to open the drivers door and got straight in with the phone being in BT/WiFi range. Car display came on with no issues.
I noticed this thing too... basically when the car gets unlocked but you don't actually open the doors, after some time onboard electronics get shut off. Then you open the door and it should come back to life, but I think it doesn't receive the canbus command to turn on so it shows no signal on the screen... To fix it, disconnect and reconnected the battery or click the reset button on the carplay unit, if you have it in sight (I installed it behind the plastic piece below the AC controls)
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      05-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #57
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
I installed the box under the air con, so the mini usb was visible, think I read this was needed for a unit upgrade. Is the reset on the same side?

Good to know it isn't just me that has had this issue. I was going loopy trying to figure out what I did wrong.
      05-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #58
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathian View Post
I installed the box under the air con, so the mini usb was visible, think I read this was needed for a unit upgrade. Is the reset on the same side?

Good to know it isn't just me that has had this issue. I was going loopy trying to figure out what I did wrong.
It's the red button located on the opposite side of the idcore logo, near the dip switches. Just press it and both carplay and idrive reboot! You may need a pen or something as thin to press it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Rathian153.50
      05-06-2019, 02:42 PM   #59
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post
I noticed this thing too... basically when the car gets unlocked but you don't actually open the doors, after some time onboard electronics get shut off. Then you open the door and it should come back to life, but I think it doesn't receive the canbus command to turn on so it shows no signal on the screen... To fix it, disconnect and reconnected the battery or click the reset button on the carplay unit, if you have it in sight (I installed it behind the plastic piece below the AC controls)
Please email their support team and tell them about it so they can investigate and hopefully address it in a software update

support@unique-ad.co.uk

05-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #60
Rathian
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW iX3  [0.00]
Have done but it is a bank holiday in the UK and I have yet to receive a reply.
      05-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #61
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's the red button located on the opposite side of the idcore logo, near the dip switches. Just press it and both carplay and idrive reboot! You may need a pen or something as thin to press it.

Were you able to interact with Joyeauto's support to address this issue?

How good the support in general?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #62
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Were you able to interact with Joyeauto's support to address this issue?

How good the support in general?
I bought it from Unique, not joyeauto. I didn't told them about this issue yet, I'll do tomorrow. Normally the support is very helpful so I think they'll be as good as always. They've fixed a lot of issues since the first unit came out in february. I'll keep you updated!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #63
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I bought it from Unique, not joyeauto. I didn't told them about this issue yet, I'll do tomorrow. Normally the support is very helpful so I think they'll be as good as always. They've fixed a lot of issues since the first unit came out in february. I'll keep you updated!
I thought you have the black box IDCORE which why I assumed it's Joyeauto's

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #64
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
IDCORE makes the same box JoyeAuto and Unique AD. while I have seen joyeauto boxes say "joyauto" on them, mine from Unique has the IDCORE logo on it.

05-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #65
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.
IDCORE makes the same box JoyeAuto and Unique AD. while I have seen joyeauto boxes say "joyauto" on them, mine from Unique has the IDCORE logo on it.
Exactly.
Joyeauto -> Joyeauto printing
Unique -> Unique sticker on older batch and IDCore printing on newer batch
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 07:46 AM   #66
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Please email their support team and tell them about it so they can investigate and hopefully address it in a software update

support@unique-ad.co.uk
I talked to them right now and that's what they said:

"When it display no signal, lock the car door for 3-5 minutes, it will go away. We have been investigating this."

Also, out of curiosity I asked them if they could open the hdmi input channel so that I could connect a chromecast to it and they said that it's planned to be opened in the future. Right now there's no way to use the hdmi port.
Appreciate 0