F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Multiple Code Hell (2015 320i F30) Help!
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
PuterPro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 320i Alpine White

Multiple Code Hell (2015 320i F30) Help!

Hi All! Sorry it's long, but I wanted to give the details and there's a lot of them!

HALP! My friend Rudy (long story) is sick. It started simple but now I'm in code hell.
Due to COVID sheltering (high risk) my poor 320i was just sitting. I drove it every 2 weeks or so, but since it's 5 yrs old I knew the battery couldn't handle not being charged, so I did some research and got a CTEK MSX 5.0 and a Topdon BT100 checker.

I didn't realize you're not supposed to charge direct to the battery, so I did the 1st time. The checker indicated the battery only had 17% health, so I did a Regeneration charge from the FRONT terminals. Didn't help. Then the fun started.

My 1st issue was a Chassis stabilization error (DSC). (I had a code reader but it was very old). Then suddenly a friend of the error showed up, his cousin ABS error.

At this point I did some research and found it might be the low battery, so I bought a Veep Bluetooth adapter and Bimmer tool lite app. I cleared the codes and all was well for two days, so I replaced the battery. I used this from AutoZone:

Duralast Platinum Battery H8-AGM Group Size 49 900 CCA

I bought the full Bimmer Tool app and coded in the new battery and re-cleared the codes.

No joy. Back they came. But they brought some friends.

Now Cruise Control fault, and Restraint failure warning joined the party, and the ABS warning brought a new symptom, Electric Steering failure. Works fine until the ABS error hits, then I lose it. No separate fault, but when ABS fault pops up, steering goes heavy.

The app didn't seem to give much detail, so I gave in and got a Foxwell 510 Elite on Prime Day.

Here's the codes I now am fighting:
1B0A21 Rough Road detection: no wheel speed signal received.
1B0A65 Driving speed wheel sensor fron/left signal change Not plausible.
1B0A67 Ditto Front/right
CD944D Signal (actual wheel speed 46.0.1) invalid, transmitter DSC

Now, I suspect the speed sensor(s) could indeed be bad since I live in Florida and it's been raining like mad with the car mostly parked. Rust ...

BUT.
That doesn't account for the others:
480686 Wheel speed sensor: Drive-off recognition, right rear right.
480840 Wheel speed sensor: Voltage supply short circuit to ground, rear left
480875 SAME rear right
480AAA same, sporadic fault rear left
480AB3 Wheel speed sensor Plausibility, signal spike, rear right
480AB4 Wheel speed sensor Plausibility, signal fault, rear right

OK, we've got an electrical issue, but WHAT? It can't make up it's mind as to where.

{In his best TV Voice:} But WAIT, there's MORE!

CD0487 ZGM: Synchronization process for FlexRay failed. REALLY?? Ray needs to stop Flexing in my car. (I have to rely on humor or I'll cry at this point.)

D514BE and D514SE Signal (vehicle speed, 55.3.4) invalid transmitter ICM

Then it gets absurd.
030101 Power Window, rear door on driver's side relay for closing, no output voltage.

Finally:
D916C3 No message (status emergency call 0x2C3) receiver FEM, transmitter TCB

I would believe a wheel speed sensor, perhaps shorting cable? But I don't get the rest of the codes. Is there something common to all those systems?

I did check the front fuse box (engine compartment) for water leaks, ditto rear luggage area box, which I'll pull and check the relays and connections for corrosion / water. I DID have some small leakage into the trunk from heavy rains and the drains clogging (cleared and dried, not a lot ...)

I cleared the codes but DSC and ABS popped right back up, as did Restraint.

Could this be a JBE problem??

ANY help or thoughts, PLEASE weigh in, thanks so much in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

What's common to most, if not all, of those issues is that they require input from all four wheel speed sensors. You need to use an OBD diagnosis tool like the Foxwell NT510 to test the function of all four sensors. It does so while driving the car to see if the sensors are sending the speed data. You can do it in a driveway, as the car only needs to be going 2 to 3 MPH over a short distance.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
PuterPro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
What's common to most, if not all, ...You need to use an OBD diagnosis tool like the Foxwell NT510 to test the function of all four sensors. ....
I have a 510 Elite. I'll try the live data. I knew it did that but don't know where it is in there, I'm a computer guy so I should find it, I'll ask if I don't, I'm not too proud to say IDK ... (you NEVER stop learning! LOL).

What about the other errors? I get that Cruise, ABS, DSC are all related to wheel sensor data, but why Restraint??

Thx so much for taking the time to read my novel!

EDIT: Found it. Both Wheel RPM and signal quality look fine for front wheels, BOTH rear sensors show Zero. Figures since it was throwing codes for both.

Bad ground? Shorted wire on one of them? Sadly I live in a "gated community" that has a bunch of grumpy old folks who will get all up in arms if I pull a wheel to look. {Sigh} We all make bad decisions in life, this community is one of mine. LOL

I can pull off working in the trunk or cabin and know my way around DVM's and the like, so if you know a connection point I could access in the cabin or trunk ... (looking innocent).

Last edited by PuterPro; 10-20-2020 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Add data
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
We've got places where we can rent lift time.
Not sure is something like this would suit you? https://udoitliftrentals.com/our-blog/
      10-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
PuterPro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWbimmer View Post
We've got places where we can rent lift time.
Not sure is something like this would suit you? https://udoitliftrentals.com/our-blog/
Thanks, that's a great idea, but the only ones relatively near me are in Pompano Florida, about 45 - 50 minutes south of me. I used to use the one on my Navy base in San Diego years ago, they charged about $6 per hour LOL.

MANY years ago ... Thx for the try!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Not sure if a torch and a curb at a quiet place would be enough for you to get under the car to be able so see the sensor. It's clear you will not be able to access the connectors in the wheel arch
      10-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Stupid question, but have you driven it a bit since you swapped the battery (and the battery is fully charged)?

I had pulled the battery terminal, and during the first 5-10 minutes of my commute, it lit up tons of warnings twice.

Quickest check would be to disconnect the battery, leave it for 5 minutes, reconnect and do a 5 minute drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
PuterPro
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Stupid question, ...
There ain't no such thing! There are, however, people who remain stupid not asking Q's ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
(and the battery is fully charged)?
Yep. Both ran it and also, while I had the neg disconnected for troubleshooting, I did a full charge with my CTEK 5.0.

Checked it with my Battery Tester and both health and charge were 100%.

Thanks much for the thoughts, ya never know when a simple question causes an Ah-HA moment!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #9
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Sorry... no help then. I didn't expect the Christmas tree of warnings when I pulled the battery terminal off, so figured you might have an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:01 PM   #10
usher221
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i Sport Line

PuterPro Have you been able to fix your issue and if so what fixed it? I am in the EXACT same situation...
F30 328i 2015 was sitting for a long time, battery died, switched it with Duralast from Autozone, and suddenly a christmas tree of errors came up you've mentioned.

I have cleared them with Bimmerlink drove the car for ~ an hour but still 9 errors left.
I have not disconnected the battery yet....

Here is the list of my errors from Bimmerlink:

Central Gateway Module
1 error
801C20: CENTRAL FAULT MEMORY FULL

Digital Motor Electronics
2 errors
CD944D: FLEXRAY, MESSAGE (ACTUAL WHEEL SPEED, 46.0.1): SIGNAL ERROR 1B0A21: ROUGH ROAD DETECTION: NO WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL RECEIVED

Electronic Transmission Management
1 error
CF2F02: DSC INTERFACE: (ACTUAL WHEEL SPEED HL / VL / HR / VR, 0X254) SIGNAL INVALID
Integrated Chassis Management
2 errors
D017A3: SIGNAL ERROR (ACTUAL NUMBER OF ENCODER EDGES WHEEL, ID: AVL_QUAN_EES_WHL) - INVALID
D017C5: SIGNAL ERROR (ACTUAL WHEEL SPEED, ID: AVL_RPM_WHL) - INVALID

Dynamic Stability Control
2 errors

D36D58: SIGNAL ERROR (WHEEL TORQUE DRIVE 1, ID: WMOM_DRV_1) - QUALIFIER
480875: WHEEL SPEED SENSOR - REAR RIGHT - SUPPLY - SHORT CIRCUIT TO GROUND OR OPEN CIRCUIT

Headunit High
1 error
B7F850: CONNECTION HEAD-UNIT TO MICROPHONE 2: LINE BREAK
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:20 AM   #11
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by usher221 View Post
PuterPro Have you been able to fix your issue and if so what fixed it? I am in the EXACT same situation...
F30 328i 2015 was sitting for a long time, battery died, switched it with Duralast from Autozone, and suddenly a christmas tree of errors came up you've mentioned.

I have cleared them with Bimmerlink drove the car for ~ an hour but still 9 errors left.

Central Gateway Module
1 error

2 errors
CD944D: FLEXRAY, MESSAGE (ACTUAL WHEEL SPEED, 46.0.1): SIGNAL ERROR 1B0A21: ROUGH ROAD DETECTION: NO WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL RECEIVED

1 error
CF2F02: DSC INTERFACE: (ACTUAL WHEEL SPEED HL / VL / HR / VR, 0X254) SIGNAL INVALID
2 errors
D017A3: SIGNAL ERROR (ACTUAL NUMBER OF ENCODER EDGES WHEEL, ID: AVL_QUAN_EES_WHL) - INVALID

2 errors

480875: WHEEL SPEED SENSOR - REAR RIGHT - SUPPLY - SHORT CIRCUIT TO GROUND OR OPEN CIRCUIT

Headunit High
1 error
You did code the new batterie?
      03-01-2021, 08:21 AM   #12
usher221
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i Sport Line

Quote:
You did code the new batterie?
I did register the new battery with BimmerLink. Is there something else you are referring to? I also have the BimmerCode app. The battery I bought is same specs as the original one.

Last edited by usher221; 03-01-2021 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #13
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did register the new battery with BimmerLink. Is there something else you are referring to? I also have the BimmerCode app. The battery I bought is same specs as the original one.
Yes, this is what I was refering to.

The codes still sound like batterie problems
      03-17-2022, 02:35 AM   #14
SoundGuy55
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:

Central Gateway Module
1 error

2 errors

1 error
2 errors

2 errors

Headunit High
1 error
PuterPro usher221

Did either of you get this resolved? I’m having the same issue after a battery replacement and successful registration using BimmerLink. HELP!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 03:24 AM   #15
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuy55 View Post
PuterPro usher221

Did either of you get this resolved? I’m having the same issue after a battery replacement and successful registration using BimmerLink. HELP!!!
You have to clear all the codes after the battery change and then start from scratch
      03-01-2024, 10:02 PM   #16
Wellingtonz
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 118i f20 n13/ 320i F30 N20

Quote:
You have to clear all the codes after the battery change and then start from scratch
so this is not a wheel speed sensor issue?? I started getting the abs lights and previously my F20 was the same and I changed that 1 sensor and everything is fine.

now my F30 has multiple codes. similar to this thread but I just assumed it was the abs sensors? I haven't change it yet though.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2024, 07:57 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A faulty ABS sensor will trigger codes for any and all processes that utilize wheel speed data. The first step is to verify if a sensor is the problem using a tool like the Foxwell NT-510, which gives a real time readout of sensor data.
Appreciate 1
BWbimmer276.50