F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Audi A4 vs BMW 3 series
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-31-2017, 05:59 PM   #89
oarnura
Private
54
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
You are really hung up on this plug in thing.
Yes, because you made a claim that Audi supports it wirelessly when it doesn't. Then you went on to claim Audi supports SIM based HotSpots and BMW doesn't, etc etc. All with the intent of making the claim that Audi is ahead of BWM in tech and somehow BMW is light years behind, when it clearly isn't.

I get it you don't like your Pre-LCI 335i and would rather have an Audi S4. But don't keep spreading misinformation with 0 research. Especially when you want to talk up Audi and shit on BMW for no reason.

Last edited by oarnura; 03-31-2017 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #90
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Shadycrew31's Avatar
55
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2014 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (1)

I said I didn't think BMW had done a hotspot yet. Never made a statement that they did not.

And yes BMW is still behind the ball tech wise for not supporting Android auto. And in my opinion idrive in general feels half finished when compared to most other manufacturers.

As I stated in my other posts, the road nosie is much louder, the interior feels cheap, and the performance is lacking. I didn't notice most of these issues until I had settled into the car a bit. Started realizing features were missing and things just didn't feel right. So in my opinion when asked should someone get a 3 series or an A4 the answer is quite simple.

I realize you for some reason feel personally attacked but it's not an attack. It's an observation from someone who's been driving a different car for the past 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 01:30 AM   #91
oarnura
Private
54
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
I said I didn't think BMW had done a hotspot yet. Never made a statement that they did not.

And yes BMW is still behind the ball tech wise for not supporting Android auto. And in my opinion idrive in general feels half finished when compared to most other manufacturers.

As I stated in my other posts, the road nosie is much louder, the interior feels cheap, and the performance is lacking. I didn't notice most of these issues until I had settled into the car a bit. Started realizing features were missing and things just didn't feel right. So in my opinion when asked should someone get a 3 series or an A4 the answer is quite simple.

I realize you for some reason feel personally attacked but it's not an attack. It's an observation from someone who's been driving a different car for the past 5 years.
Not personally attacked but I have to wonder why you are here on these forums constantly attacking BMW and talking up Audis.

It's a car dude. If you don't like it get rid of it and buy something you like. Life's too short to drive a car you don't like. It is even shorter letting it bother you enough to keep posting on forums.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #92
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Shadycrew31's Avatar
55
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2014 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (1)

So if someone asks for an opinion in an open forum people shouldn't share their actual opinion or experience?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #93
oarnura
Private
54
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
So if someone asks for an opinion in an open forum people shouldn't share their actual opinion or experience?
Sharing your opinion is one thing. Making shit up is something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 11:56 PM   #94
hollandog
Major
hollandog's Avatar
United_States
440
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
I said I didn't think BMW had done a hotspot yet. Never made a statement that they did not.

And yes BMW is still behind the ball tech wise for not supporting Android auto. And in my opinion idrive in general feels half finished when compared to most other manufacturers.

As I stated in my other posts, the road nosie is much louder, the interior feels cheap, and the performance is lacking. I didn't notice most of these issues until I had settled into the car a bit. Started realizing features were missing and things just didn't feel right. So in my opinion when asked should someone get a 3 series or an A4 the answer is quite simple.

I realize you for some reason feel personally attacked but it's not an attack. It's an observation from someone who's been driving a different car for the past 5 years.
He does have a point that you're obviously not a fan of the 335i. Why don't you just get the Audi and call it a day?

Android auto - agreed on BMW kissing Apple's ass
Road noise - true
Interior - maybe but the F30 is 5 years old and it's subjective. I think it's simple and direct.
Performance - this is where I don't understand. N55 is a very capable engine. The S4 is not going to smoke the 335i. It's a nose heavy chick that's like 100lb heavier.
Cost - This is where the real problem is. A $60k S4 will cost you $100/mo+ over the same $60k 340i if you lease. Might even put you close into the M3 price range then you may just cross shop the S4 and M3. If you buy it then well, good luck after warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #95
AGONXF30
Lieutenant
AGONXF30's Avatar
United_States
100
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Upstate

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
I said I didn't think BMW had done a hotspot yet. Never made a statement that they did not.

And yes BMW is still behind the ball tech wise for not supporting Android auto. And in my opinion idrive in general feels half finished when compared to most other manufacturers.

As I stated in my other posts, the road nosie is much louder, the interior feels cheap, and the performance is lacking. I didn't notice most of these issues until I had settled into the car a bit. Started realizing features were missing and things just didn't feel right. So in my opinion when asked should someone get a 3 series or an A4 the answer is quite simple.

I realize you for some reason feel personally attacked but it's not an attack. It's an observation from someone who's been driving a different car for the past 5 years.
I call this one a troll.

Car Play and Android Auto are a gimmick that offer nothing iDrive does not.

iDrive is the best in the market with Audi MMI a close second.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #96
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Shadycrew31's Avatar
55
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2014 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
Sharing your opinion is one thing. Making shit up is something else.
I remembered not using a cable when in fact I had. Of all the numerous advantages I listed that is the one thing that was incorrect and you focused on it instead of debating the other arguments. All of my other points though subjective to personal taste were valid, yet you did not argue any of those points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
I call this one a troll.

Car Play and Android Auto are a gimmick that offer nothing iDrive does not.

iDrive is the best in the market with Audi MMI a close second.
Android auto is amazing, it does everything idrive can do and then some. Lets review.

BMW connected drive (with a very limited amount of apps)= $50/yr
Advanced real time traffic data = $50/yr
BMW North america map update = $100/yr

BMW package = $200/yr

Andorid auto, decent sized app database indcluding hangouts which I use often. = Free
Google maps which incorporates waze (much better than bmw realtime) = Free
Google maps update = Free and often

BMW package = $200/yr
Android auto = Free

Regardless of the actual functionality of MMI this alone puts iDrive in the backseat.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #97
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Shadycrew31's Avatar
55
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2014 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
He does have a point that you're obviously not a fan of the 335i. Why don't you just get the Audi and call it a day?

Android auto - agreed on BMW kissing Apple's ass
Road noise - true
Interior - maybe but the F30 is 5 years old and it's subjective. I think it's simple and direct.
Performance - this is where I don't understand. N55 is a very capable engine. The S4 is not going to smoke the 335i. It's a nose heavy chick that's like 100lb heavier.
Cost - This is where the real problem is. A $60k S4 will cost you $100/mo+ over the same $60k 340i if you lease. Might even put you close into the M3 price range then you may just cross shop the S4 and M3. If you buy it then well, good luck after warranty.
I was originally comparing the A4 and a 335i. The 335i wins on performance.

When comparing a 328i and an A4 the A4 wins 100% of the time. That was my original point and answer to the OP.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #98
oarnura
Private
54
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
I remembered not using a cable when in fact I had. Of all the numerous advantages I listed that is the one thing that was incorrect and you focused on it instead of debating the other arguments. All of my other points though subjective to personal taste were valid, yet you did not argue any of those points.
I don't care what you remember doing. The manufacturer says it is impossible for it to work without a cable.

Most of your advantages are pure subjective opinions and obviously thoroughly biased.



Quote:
Android auto is amazing, it does everything idrive can do and then some. Lets review.

BMW connected drive (with a very limited amount of apps)= $50/yr
Advanced real time traffic data = $50/yr
BMW North america map update = $100/yr

BMW package = $200/yr

Andorid auto, decent sized app database indcluding hangouts which I use often. = Free
Google maps which incorporates waze (much better than bmw realtime) = Free
Google maps update = Free and often

BMW package = $200/yr
Android auto = Free
How much do you pay for your phone's data plan per year? That's how much Android Auto costs to use while in the car. If you did the maths it isn't free. Not to mention all the location data you are providing Google so they can advertise to you.

What happens when your phone loses data network deep down in the woods? BMW's Nav will still work.


BMW Connected drive and Apps are a two way link.. The App tells your where you car is parked. If it is locked etc. Android Auto doesn't do any of this shit.

Quote:
Regardless of the actual functionality of MMI this alone puts iDrive in the backseat.
This is what you said before too:

Quote:
And yes BMW is still behind the ball tech wise for not supporting Android auto. And in my opinion idrive in general feels half finished when compared to most other manufacturers.
Bullshit!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...327-story.html

iDrive is consistently rated best in class. MMI was ranked last in this comparison.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-s...ainment-review
"The iDrive system is the most intuitive infotainment set-up on the market."

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/q7...ainment-review
"As with BMW’s iDrive, its touchpad lets you write letters with your finger. This is much easier than using a QWERTY touchscreen, but on test it didn’t recognise the letters as quickly as the BMW. It also has a wheel with buttons for the main sections, and reprogrammable fast keys."

Again iDrive is rated higher, quicker and easier to learn and use.

Last edited by oarnura; 04-03-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #99
oarnura
Private
54
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
I was originally comparing the A4 and a 335i. The 335i wins on performance.

When comparing a 328i and an A4 the A4 wins 100% of the time. That was my original point and answer to the OP.
You are comparing the new generation 2017 A4 to a 2014 335i. Biased much? A lot of your complains have been addressed in the LCI 3 series. My 340i has very little road noise for example.

You don't even seem to realize that the LCI 2017 models are 330i. So once again you are comparing an older car to the latest from Audi.

I'd say you are trolling or just plain ignorant about BMWs.

Last edited by oarnura; 04-03-2017 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #100
otay
Major
otay's Avatar
United_States
728
Rep
1,268
Posts

Drives: 2016 550i M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 1
Beek702.50

      04-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #101
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
341
Rep
916
Posts

Drives: A nice car
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
When comparing a 328i and an A4 the A4 wins 100% of the time. That was my original point and answer to the OP.
I had the choice of 17 A4 and 16 328i (LCI) when I was purchasing last year. I preferred the 328i.

Yes, the virtual cockpit is pretty awesome (much better than even the new 5 series all digital cockpit), MMI is more flashy, and A4 had the more modern interior but I was more focused on the driving experience and it was the 328i that made me happy.

OP should test drive both and see which suits them better.
__________________
Slapping on M Performance parts, ZHP, badges, and stickers does not ///M car make

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #102
hollandog
Major
hollandog's Avatar
United_States
440
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
I was originally comparing the A4 and a 335i. The 335i wins on performance.

When comparing a 328i and an A4 the A4 wins 100% of the time. That was my original point and answer to the OP.
Well performance wise, I'll take the 330i over the A4 100% of the time and the F30 is like 5 years old. One is nimble RWD 50/50 platform when correctly equipped. One is heavier FWD/AWD front heavy platform no matter how you put it.

Technology wise, Audi has the edge and BMW being stubborn on Android Auto. But the F30 is due for redesign in 2018 while the A4 is brand new for 2017.

Cost wise, when both priced at similar MSRP. 99% the BMW will come out much cheaper on a lease.

Audi usually draws the younger crowds nowadays that like luxury/technology mix but don't care about performance as much. at a cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #103
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
341
Rep
916
Posts

Drives: A nice car
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

FYI for those saying BMW is behind the times because it doesn't support Google Auto: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/02/28/android-auto-bmw/

It's a business decision and not a technology issue. If Android Auto is that important to you, feel free to vote with your wallet.
__________________
Slapping on M Performance parts, ZHP, badges, and stickers does not ///M car make

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #104
Pr3dict
Second Lieutenant
51
Rep
224
Posts

Drives: '17 340
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
FYI for those saying BMW is behind the times because it doesn't support Google Auto: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/02/28/android-auto-bmw/

It's a business decision and not a technology issue. If Android Auto is that important to you, feel free to vote with your wallet.
I knew it was a business decision. BMW wants to have full control over the "experience" which is kind of crazy when you think of how many resources Google has allocated to making Android Auto have an amazing UX. BMW has to keep worrying about building the ultimate driving machine and let others that are better equipped to handle the AV/tech side of things do their job.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #105
Bbb34
Major
Canada
721
Rep
1,475
Posts

Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
How much do you pay for your phone's data plan per year? That's how much Android Auto costs to use while in the car. If you did the maths it isn't free. Not to mention all the location data you are providing Google so they can advertise to you.
Remember what they say "If you're not paying for a product, you are the product."

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
You are comparing the new generation 2017 A4 to a 2014 335i. Biased much? A lot of your complains have been addressed in the LCI 3 series. My 340i has very little road noise for example.
Has it really, haven't had a chance to try yet, but is 340 better insulated/dampened than the rest of the 3 series ?
Loaner I had recently (2016 328) didn't seem that quiet to me?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #106
donkey
Captain
donkey's Avatar
United_States
397
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Flavortown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
Remember what they say "If you're not paying for a product, you are the product."



Has it really, haven't had a chance to try yet, but is 340 better insulated/dampened than the rest of the 3 series ?
Loaner I had recently (2016 328) didn't seem that quiet to me?
A lot of the LCI guys have bias towards the LCI versions as well...

My 2014 is pretty quiet aside from my crazy loud exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #107
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Shadycrew31's Avatar
55
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2014 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
I don't care what you remember doing. The manufacturer says it is impossible for it to work without a cable.
Yes I already said I remembered it incorrectly, You are still harping on it and its kind of funny at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
Most of your advantages are pure subjective opinions and obviously thoroughly biased.
There are key items idrive is missing. That's all there is to it. Based on what you've present they are still missing. That's not a subjective opinion thats a factual statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
How much do you pay for your phone's data plan per year? That's how much Android Auto costs to use while in the car. If you did the maths it isn't free. Not to mention all the location data you are providing Google so they can advertise to you.

What happens when your phone loses data network deep down in the woods? BMW's Nav will still work.
My phones data plan, are you serious right now? LOL. My dataplan is going to be present regardless of my choice of car.

Audi's nav is still quite functional and comes with 5 free map updates.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
BMW Connected drive and Apps are a two way link.. The App tells your where you car is parked. If it is locked etc. Android Auto doesn't do any of this shit.
The services you listed are part of the remote services pack which is already included and not part of the annual $50 connected drive service.



Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
This is what you said before too:



Bullshit!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...327-story.html

iDrive is consistently rated best in class. MMI was ranked last in this comparison.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-s...ainment-review
"The iDrive system is the most intuitive infotainment set-up on the market."

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/q7...ainment-review
"As with BMW’s iDrive, its touchpad lets you write letters with your finger. This is much easier than using a QWERTY touchscreen, but on test it didn’t recognise the letters as quickly as the BMW. It also has a wheel with buttons for the main sections, and reprogrammable fast keys."

Again iDrive is rated higher, quicker and easier to learn and use.
Maybe I need to bold the text for you?

And in my opinion idrive in general feels half finished when compared to most other manufacturers.

My opinion based on using the older idrive and the older/newer mmi. idrive feels like they just stopped caring halfway into the UX process. MMI, MMI+, and MMI++ all have a very well designed and visually pleasing interface.

Also the A4/S4 does not have a touchpad as reviewed in the Q7.

These reviews are based on other peoples opinions, everyone has an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
You are comparing the new generation 2017 A4 to a 2014 335i. Biased much? A lot of your complains have been addressed in the LCI 3 series. My 340i has very little road noise for example.

You don't even seem to realize that the LCI 2017 models are 330i. So once again you are comparing an older car to the latest from Audi.

I'd say you are trolling or just plain ignorant about BMWs.
Does the newer iDrive support andorid auto?
Does it still stay on the same page in the previous menu every time you reopen a tab?
Does it still cost $200 annually, nav is free for the first 3 years so maybe its down to $150?
Is there a full color LCD in the gauge cluster, displaying all relevant information and the ability to show you a map for navigation?

I don't think these have been addressed, but hey at least they have better looking icons now...

Last edited by Shadycrew31; 04-03-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #108
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Shadycrew31's Avatar
55
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2014 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
FYI for those saying BMW is behind the times because it doesn't support Google Auto: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/02/28/android-auto-bmw/

It's a business decision and not a technology issue. If Android Auto is that important to you, feel free to vote with your wallet.
I'm aware it was a business decision. But this business decision has put them behind the times as their competitor offers both.

For years Audi only supported iOS as well. But their newer MMI talks to Android, because of this Audi is "current" technologically speaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #109
donkey
Captain
donkey's Avatar
United_States
397
Rep
674
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Flavortown

iTrader: (0)

Apple is better anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #110
hollandog
Major
hollandog's Avatar
United_States
440
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335 View Post
Apple is better anyway
at driving you nuts.

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
androidsuxks, audi, audi a4, bmw, bmw (3)series, iphone is better

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST