F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Audi A4 vs BMW 3 series
VIBE Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #133
hollandog
Major
hollandog's Avatar
United_States
442
Rep
1,056
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I didn't think the DCT would be that much a faster shifter... but it is. That being said, the ZF 8 is still one of the best autos I had ever driven. If the 340i came with a DCT, I think that's a significantupgrade. If it doesn't, it's still one of the best autos in its class.
The new S4/5 downgraded to ZF8 from the DCT in B8.5
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #134
hinckley
Lieutenant Colonel
hinckley's Avatar
United_States
1050
Rep
1,920
Posts

Drives: '20 X4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
The new S4/5 downgraded to ZF8 from the DCT in B8.5
The switch to the ZF8 occurred with the just introduced B9 S4/5s. All B8 S4/5s were offered with either a 6MT or DCT.
__________________
CURRENT: '20 X4 M40i | '15 Porsche 911 GTS Cab 7MT
RETIRED : '18 M4 6MT | '13 M5 6MT | '08 550i 6MT | '04 545i 6MT | '98 540i 6MT | '94 530i 5MT | '84 528e 5MT
Other retirees from Chevrolet, Buick, Subaru, Honda, Acura, Merkur(!), Volvo, Saab, Audi and Porsche
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #135
335BOY
Colonel
194
Rep
2,802
Posts

Drives: 2017 SQ5
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
He does have a point that you're obviously not a fan of the 335i. Why don't you just get the Audi and call it a day?

Android auto - agreed on BMW kissing Apple's ass
Road noise - true
Interior - maybe but the F30 is 5 years old and it's subjective. I think it's simple and direct.
Performance - this is where I don't understand. N55 is a very capable engine. The S4 is not going to smoke the 335i. It's a nose heavy chick that's like 100lb heavier.
Cost - This is where the real problem is. A $60k S4 will cost you $100/mo+ over the same $60k 340i if you lease. Might even put you close into the M3 price range then you may just cross shop the S4 and M3. If you buy it then well, good luck after warranty.


Thats funny. I had a 335 e92 that had endless issues. I got rid of it before lease end it was so bad. Couldnt trust it. Ive had 6 Audis. Last one had about 70,000 miles on it and I don't think I even replaced a light bulb. Every manufacturer will have issues of some sort. Love the "nose heavy chick" line. Is that what makes it handle so well?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #136
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
United_States
10440
Rep
10,814
Posts

Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
The new S4/5 downgraded to ZF8 from the DCT in B8.5
I heard. They claimed that their DCT couldn't handle the power of the new S4.
__________________
2018 F80 ///M3 CS - Lime Rock Grey Metallic | MPE | MPHAS | GC Camber Plates | PFC-08 | RE-71R
2019 I01 i3 BEV - Giga World
Previous: F80 M3 | I01 i3 Rex LCI | I01 i3 REx | F30 340i M Sport ZTR | F30 328i Sport | Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250 | E21 320i
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #137
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Shadycrew31's Avatar
55
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2014 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
Pretty sure all those numbers are purely made up. All of that is included for 3 years.
You sure about that? Pretty sure just the maps are included for 3 years. Either way the numbers are very real please see links below.

https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/cd...ciergeServices
https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/cd...dDriveServices
https://connecteddrive.bmwusa.com/cd...ils?offer=RTTI
http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/47...EM-2015-UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
Not even close to the same thing.

Where is the BMW Assist? Show me the Android Auto equivalent.
You haven't used it but its not the same thing. Ok cool.

Please tell me something BMW concierge can do that Google assistant cannot.

I'll save you time there isn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post

Android Auto with Google maps doesn't show up in the Virtual Cockpit.. Doh! So all of your costs comparisons with BMW Nav and Android Auto go out of the window right there.

So much technology Audi put in and the Virtual cockpit won't show google maps from Android Auto. What's the point? It is to make gullible fools argue about Audi tech superiority on BMW forums.
Cost comparisons are still very relative. But to your point earlier its less distracting and much faster to look at the dash . iDrive still cannot interface with andorid auto....



Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
I love the word gimmick it aptly describes what it needs too. Android Auto and Virtual cockpit.. two gimmicks in Audi's world that don't even work together.
I found virtual cockpit to be a very nice feature. It doesn't support android auto which is a shame but it does a slew of other things which were quite nice plus it looked cool!


Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
Pretty much all of your post. Having Android Auto or not never swayed anyone from buying a $50K car.

Most of us are here because we bought BMWs by using the bit between our ears and making a choice. Clearly you didn't and bought the wrong car.
Again my original point was to share my opinion on the newer A4 versus the 3 series as the OP requested. When I was car shopping the A4 was out of the picture due to its lack of power, if the B9 s4 was in my price range I would have picked it up.

I bought the 335i because it was the most balanced car in my price range and got better MPG than the S4.

Stating that android auto was the only thing separating both cars is incorrect. As I stated earlier, the 3 series that I drove (2014 335i, 2015 328is) were louder cars in both road noise and engine noise. You had made the statement that the 340 was quieter but I haven't experienced that for myself. The handling in my opinion is sloppy unless in sport mode. The tech still feels half finished in my opinion but thats completely subjective. The interior still feels cheap when compared to an A4 as well.

Again these are all my opinions based on previous experiences with multiple cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #138
oarnura
Private
54
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
As I stated earlier, the 3 series that I drove (2014 335i, 2015 328is) were louder cars in both road noise and engine noise.
Since you haven't driven the 2016 LCI models or the latest 2017 models. How is your opinion that the 2017 Audi is better than the 2017 3 series, relevant?


This is what your first post in this thread was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
The tech in the B9 A4 is pretty great but I'd still go with a 335 over an A4 just for the power. If you are comparing a 328 to an A4 there is no comparison, the A4 wins hands down. The 328 is loud in both road and engine noise and all 3 series are much less refined even when compared to earlier Audis.
While you qualified the A4 was a B9 you didn't mention that the car your were talking about is a 2014 and 2015 model 3 series.

Especially since the 2016 models have improvements in steering, suspension and sound dampening. Also the 2017 model F30 would be a 330i with has a new engine.

You also made the claim that all 3 series are less refined compared to earlier Audis. That just sounds like fanboy trolling to be honest.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
You had made the statement that the 340 was quieter but I haven't experienced that for myself.

Exactly! Then your entire premise that the 2017 Audi is a better car is flawed because you haven't driven or experienced the newer BMWs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
The handling in my opinion is sloppy unless in sport mode.
Doh! Setting it to comfort makes it not sporty? Say what? Again not the same suspension as the 2016 LCI models.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1124143

These are the improvements in the LCI models"

Improved Performance:
New Chassis setup for significantly improved steering, braking and handling
New, stiffer Front Strut Towers
New Rear Damper Technology
New Electric power steering
Enhanced Steptronic Automatic Transmission
5 Suspension Anchor Points vs. 3


Your opinion is based on cars that are older and don't have those changes. How is that relevant in a 2017 A4 vs 2017 F30 conversation?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
The tech still feels half finished in my opinion but thats completely subjective. The interior still feels cheap when compared to an A4 as well.
Yes. it is subjective and based on outdated experience and knowledge.


LCI Changes: Interior
Chrome Accents surrounding the Front and Rear Air vents
Chrome Accent near buttons for electric windows
Improved Navigation Unit: new hardware, better performance, faster start-up of navigation and Voice Command, navigation map update over the air, more realistic presentation of city details
New standard wood trim: Fineline Anthracite Wood Trim with Pearl Gloss chrome highlight trim
Door accents according to trim accent (similar to 3 Series GT and 4-Series Models)
Improved Child Seat handling
Center-stack changes:
High-gloss black
Pearlescent chrome applications for radio/climate control
Revised Automatic climate control display: white (vs. orange)
Ambient lighting surrounding the center-stack
Sliding cover for cup holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
Again these are all my opinions based on previous experiences with multiple cars.
All well and good. but when some one is comparing a 2017 model opinions on older cars are not really relevant.

Last edited by oarnura; 04-05-2017 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #139
AudiA4
Major
AudiA4's Avatar
553
Rep
1,408
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarnura View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
As I stated earlier, the 3 series that I drove (2014 335i, 2015 328is) were louder cars in both road noise and engine noise.
Since you haven't driven the 2016 LCI models or the latest 2017 models. How is your opinion that the 2017 Audi is better than the 2017 3 series, relevant?


This is what your first post in this thread was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
The tech in the B9 A4 is pretty great but I'd still go with a 335 over an A4 just for the power. If you are comparing a 328 to an A4 there is no comparison, the A4 wins hands down. The 328 is loud in both road and engine noise and all 3 series are much less refined even when compared to earlier Audis.
While you qualified the A4 was a B9 you didn't mention that the car your were talking about is a 2014 and 2015 model 3 series.

Especially since the 2016 models have improvements in steering, suspension and sound dampening. Also the 2017 model F30 would be a 330i with has a new engine.

You also made the claim that all 3 series are less refined compared to earlier Audis. That just sounds like fanboy trolling to be honest.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
You had made the statement that the 340 was quieter but I haven't experienced that for myself.

Exactly! Then your entire premise that the 2017 Audi is a better car is flawed because you haven't driven or experienced the newer BMWs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
The handling in my opinion is sloppy unless in sport mode.
Doh! Setting it to comfort makes it not sporty? Say what? Again not the same suspension as the 2016 LCI models.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1124143

These are the improvements in the LCI models"

Improved Performance:
New Chassis setup for significantly improved steering, braking and handling
New, stiffer Front Strut Towers
New Rear Damper Technology
New Electric power steering
Enhanced Steptronic Automatic Transmission
5 Suspension Anchor Points vs. 3


Your opinion is based on cars that are older and don't have those changes. How is that relevant in a 2017 A4 vs 2017 F30 conversation?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
The tech still feels half finished in my opinion but thats completely subjective. The interior still feels cheap when compared to an A4 as well.
Yes. it is subjective and based on outdated experience and knowledge.


LCI Changes: Interior
Chrome Accents surrounding the Front and Rear Air vents
Chrome Accent near buttons for electric windows
Improved Navigation Unit: new hardware, better performance, faster start-up of navigation and Voice Command, navigation map update over the air, more realistic presentation of city details
New standard wood trim: Fineline Anthracite Wood Trim with Pearl Gloss chrome highlight trim
Door accents according to trim accent (similar to 3 Series GT and 4-Series Models)
Improved Child Seat handling
Center-stack changes:
High-gloss black
Pearlescent chrome applications for radio/climate control
Revised Automatic climate control display: white (vs. orange)
Ambient lighting surrounding the center-stack
Sliding cover for cup holders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadycrew31 View Post
Again these are all my opinions based on previous experiences with multiple cars.
All well and good. but when some one is comparing a 2017 model opinions on older cars are not really relevant.
That's a serious man-crush on the LCI dude...minor changes, bandaids in fact; except the B58...now that's an upgrade.
__________________
2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 2
donkey397.00
Bbb34721.00

      04-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #140
oarnura
Private
54
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
That's a serious man-crush on the LCI dude...minor changes, bandaids in fact; except the B58...now that's an upgrade.
They are still changes and they add up. My car has the B58 and it is a peach..

Appreciate 1
AudiA4553.00

      04-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #141
sean328
Enlisted Member
sean328's Avatar
Australia
24
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 330i MSport 100 Year SE
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Classic debate. Like apple vs android, mac vs pc. We can compare the details to the nth degree but I think most of us chose what we chose based on a more fundamental 'gut' feeling..

You don't count the calories and study the nutritional values every time you go for lunch do you? The numbers can stack up but if don't feel right, it probably isn't right. For you.

I test drove both. The 3 got me the moment I went round the corner. Can't explain it, it's like love at first sight. I'm sure the A4 owners here saw something unique to them. To each of its own. Both stunning cars. No one is better than the other in my opinion.
Appreciate 3
AudiA4553.00
Bbb34721.00
jmg10439.50

      04-11-2017, 11:41 PM   #142
Atombyte
First Lieutenant
Atombyte's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3, 2016 535i, 2019 540i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2016 535i  [0.00]
2013 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean328 View Post
Classic debate. Like apple vs android, mac vs pc. We can compare the details to the nth degree but I think most of us chose what we chose based on a more fundamental 'gut' feeling..

You don't count the calories and study the nutritional values every time you go for lunch do you? The numbers can stack up but if don't feel right, it probably isn't right. For you.

I test drove both. The 3 got me the moment I went round the corner. Can't explain it, it's like love at first sight. I'm sure the A4 owners here saw something unique to them. To each of its own. Both stunning cars. No one is better than the other in my opinion.
This is spot on. I've been shopping cars for the last couple of months to take over the daily driving duties of my E92 M3. I wanted a 4-door, so the F30 was the obvious choice. I know a lot of this thread is comparing the new B9 A4 to the F30, but I was looking used in the 2014-2015 range (B8.5 vs F30). After a lot of drives with a lot of cars, it came down to these two. I've had 7 BMWs in the last 10 years, but I went with a '14 A4 Quattro over the F30. I still have my M3 and F10 (wife's ride) so I'm definitely biased toward BMW and if I didn't have the M3 for hooning around in, I may have gone with a F30 328.

For a daily driver I was looking more for comfort and refinement over sportiness. For me, the A4 won that hands down. The fun-to-drive factor is a little better in the F30. For those of you into tech, 2014 iDrive is far superior to 2014 MMI (comparing top levels of both). In the end, they're both great cars with different strengths and weaknesses and I like them both. For my needs, I just liked one a little more than the other. YMMV.
__________________
Appreciate 2
sean32824.00
Bbb34721.00

      04-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #143
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
ishowerinjager's Avatar
Canada
102
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

I was torn between the new s4 and a 340i. I was coming from a b8 s4 that I owned for 3 years.

I went to both dealers and checked them out. Ended up going with a 2017 340i m performance edition which is basically loaded to the max. Has a ton of m performance parts and looks way more aggressive. After I made the purchase went back to Audi and scoped the s4 again and the look was just to ordinary for me. Thought I'd have some buyer remorse but I had none at all.

It could be the fact that I owned an Audi before and just needed a change. The one big thing I notice is the driving dynamics, the Bmw is so much more fun in the corners. A completely different car, almost feels rwd even though it's an xdrive. The Audi pushed through the corners and it had the sport differential.

Can't say I'd go back to Audi unless an rs4 hits America. And if there was an awd m3 I'd still go with Bmw
__________________
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #144
AudiA4
Major
AudiA4's Avatar
553
Rep
1,408
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
I was torn between the new s4 and a 340i. I was coming from a b8 s4 that I owned for 3 years.

I went to both dealers and checked them out. Ended up going with a 2017 340i m performance edition which is basically loaded to the max. Has a ton of m performance parts and looks way more aggressive. After I made the purchase went back to Audi and scoped the s4 again and the look was just to ordinary for me. Thought I'd have some buyer remorse but I had none at all.

It could be the fact that I owned an Audi before and just needed a change. The one big thing I notice is the driving dynamics, the Bmw is so much more fun in the corners. A completely different car, almost feels rwd even though it's an xdrive. The Audi pushed through the corners and it had the sport differential.

Can't say I'd go back to Audi unless an rs4 hits America. And if there was an awd m3 I'd still go with Bmw
I'm glad you're happy with your decision.

I agree that the new S4 is pretty unaggressive in styling. But personally, there's no way I'd buy a new F30 within a year of its replacement. I'd either get the new B9 S4 or wait for the new 2019 G20 3-series.
__________________
2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #145
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
ishowerinjager's Avatar
Canada
102
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
I was torn between the new s4 and a 340i. I was coming from a b8 s4 that I owned for 3 years.

I went to both dealers and checked them out. Ended up going with a 2017 340i m performance edition which is basically loaded to the max. Has a ton of m performance parts and looks way more aggressive. After I made the purchase went back to Audi and scoped the s4 again and the look was just to ordinary for me. Thought I'd have some buyer remorse but I had none at all.

It could be the fact that I owned an Audi before and just needed a change. The one big thing I notice is the driving dynamics, the Bmw is so much more fun in the corners. A completely different car, almost feels rwd even though it's an xdrive. The Audi pushed through the corners and it had the sport differential.

Can't say I'd go back to Audi unless an rs4 hits America. And if there was an awd m3 I'd still go with Bmw
I'm glad you're happy with your decision.

I agree that the new S4 is pretty unaggressive in styling. But personally, there's no way I'd buy a new F30 within a year of its replacement. I'd either get the new B9 S4 or wait for the new 2019 G20 3-series.
I can completely see what you're saying.

What sold me was the new b58 engine, the extensively revamped suspension and mppsk package.

I'm really excited to see the new 3 series. If they have an awd m340i I'll be very tempted to upgrade in 2 years.
__________________
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #146
AudiA4
Major
AudiA4's Avatar
553
Rep
1,408
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
I was torn between the new s4 and a 340i. I was coming from a b8 s4 that I owned for 3 years.

I went to both dealers and checked them out. Ended up going with a 2017 340i m performance edition which is basically loaded to the max. Has a ton of m performance parts and looks way more aggressive. After I made the purchase went back to Audi and scoped the s4 again and the look was just to ordinary for me. Thought I'd have some buyer remorse but I had none at all.

It could be the fact that I owned an Audi before and just needed a change. The one big thing I notice is the driving dynamics, the Bmw is so much more fun in the corners. A completely different car, almost feels rwd even though it's an xdrive. The Audi pushed through the corners and it had the sport differential.

Can't say I'd go back to Audi unless an rs4 hits America. And if there was an awd m3 I'd still go with Bmw
I'm glad you're happy with your decision.

I agree that the new S4 is pretty unaggressive in styling. But personally, there's no way I'd buy a new F30 within a year of its replacement. I'd either get the new B9 S4 or wait for the new 2019 G20 3-series.
I can completely see what you're saying.

What sold me was the new b58 engine, the extensively revamped suspension and mppsk package.

I'm really excited to see the new 3 series. If they have an awd m340i I'll be very tempted to upgrade in 2 years.
Cool. The B58 is amazing...had one as a loaner for a week. I hated to give it back!
__________________
2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #147
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
50
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i 6MT BSM MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
I can completely see what you're saying.

What sold me was the new b58 engine, the extensively revamped suspension and mppsk package.

I'm really excited to see the new 3 series. If they have an awd m340i I'll be very tempted to upgrade in 2 years.
Your S4 vs 340 description is VERY similar to my story as well, dude. Was originally looking at the S4 last fall and was pretty much sold on it but I just couldn't get past the fact that I was settling so to speak for an auto tranny. The 6MT in the 340 was the deal breaker for me and as I began to intensify my research and test drive, I'm ultimately happy with my decision to go after the 340. And yeah agree the B58, Adaptive suspension, and MPPSK sold me as well. As others have said, both are gorgeous cars, I just prefer the more aggressive look of the 340.

Even though I would probably take a loss, I'd also consider upgrading to a G20/m340 within the next few years depending on what the final model/packages look like. I'm also considering (when you really think about price) just going for an M3 instead 3 years from now.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #148
ishowerinjager
Second Lieutenant
ishowerinjager's Avatar
Canada
102
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i M Performance Editio
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
I can completely see what you're saying.

What sold me was the new b58 engine, the extensively revamped suspension and mppsk package.

I'm really excited to see the new 3 series. If they have an awd m340i I'll be very tempted to upgrade in 2 years.
Your S4 vs 340 description is VERY similar to my story as well, dude. Was originally looking at the S4 last fall and was pretty much sold on it but I just couldn't get past the fact that I was settling so to speak for an auto tranny. The 6MT in the 340 was the deal breaker for me and as I began to intensify my research and test drive, I'm ultimately happy with my decision to go after the 340. And yeah agree the B58, Adaptive suspension, and MPPSK sold me as well. As others have said, both are gorgeous cars, I just prefer the more aggressive look of the 340.

Even though I would probably take a loss, I'd also consider upgrading to a G20/m340 within the next few years depending on what the final model/packages look like. I'm also considering (when you really think about price) just going for an M3 instead 3 years from now.
The price difference for me was super close to an m3. If the car came with awd I would have bought it. I live in Canada and need it. Basically my choice took me as close as I could get to an awd m3.

People keep wondering why anyone would get a 340i that costs 5-7000 less than an m3, for me it's all about awd.
__________________
2017 340i M Performance Edition: Fashion Grey, MPPSK, M performance front splitter, rear diffuser, side sills, black grille, CF spoiler, 405M 20s, 8AT, full Marino interior and dash, adaptive suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #149
Revelator
Private First Class
United_States
50
Rep
172
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i 6MT BSM MPPSK
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Right, coming from AWD myself and living in the mid Atlantic you have about 5-6 months out of the year where it's extremely handy--I'd say your location is way more crucial than mine to have the added traction. Unless you have a beater you can use for those months (I don't cause I dump all my money into the fun car), IMO you're making the right move. Investing in a beater truck is my project later this year
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #150
MatrixNeo
New Member
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United Arab Emirates

iTrader: (0)

How about Merc C200?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #151
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
43
Rep
916
Posts

Drives: 2016 435i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

The new A4 is fantastic. New engine for this year is super quick.
I went in for a test drive and they did not have a manual in stock --
So, I went to BMW and they have a M/T That's why I went with BMW...

But all things being equal, I'd prob pick the A4 -- kills BMW on technology and interior quality. My 435i doesn't even stand on a leg compared to an equally equipped A4 / S4
__________________
Current: 2016 435i Coupe
Previous: 2014 335i Sedan; 2013 328i Cv, 2011 335i Sedan
Gone But Not Forgotten: 2008 135i Convertible (my favorite)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #152
mex2309
Lieutenant
mex2309's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
431
Posts

Drives: '10 335i MSport X-Drive AW
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

Yea I love my 335 msport and its almost 10 yrs old w/o issues. In a couple years I'll be looking for a new ride and I have no reservations at crossing over to audi. I'm a techie so Audi has nailed the gadgets +android and the interior. Bmw wins the exterior, but I'm sure you could 'dress' both up.

These 2 go back and forth every generation. It's just about that test drive and what speaks to you when you do a walk around and get behind the wheel.

I'm Bmw at heart, so the first vehicle i'll check will be a 340 w/ that b58 and then i'll check out the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
The new A4 is fantastic. New engine for this year is super quick.
I went in for a test drive and they did not have a manual in stock --
So, I went to BMW and they have a M/T That's why I went with BMW...

But all things being equal, I'd prob pick the A4 -- kills BMW on technology and interior quality. My 435i doesn't even stand on a leg compared to an equally equipped A4 / S4
__________________
M-Sport|OFT Tune|PE Exhaust|VRSF CP|Coded/Alpina Flash|15% Tint|Cyba 3.8 Chrome Tips|Splitters|Lux H8 160|M3 Spoiler Lip|Gloss Black Grille|12mm Spacers F/R
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #153
mex2309
Lieutenant
mex2309's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
431
Posts

Drives: '10 335i MSport X-Drive AW
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
The new A4 is fantastic. New engine for this year is super quick.
How did the A4's engine/performance feel compared to your 435?
__________________
M-Sport|OFT Tune|PE Exhaust|VRSF CP|Coded/Alpina Flash|15% Tint|Cyba 3.8 Chrome Tips|Splitters|Lux H8 160|M3 Spoiler Lip|Gloss Black Grille|12mm Spacers F/R
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #154
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
174
Rep
343
Posts

Drives: 435i xDrive, C43 Coupe 4matic
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishowerinjager View Post
The price difference for me was super close to an m3. If the car came with awd I would have bought it. I live in Canada and need it. Basically my choice took me as close as I could get to an awd m3.

People keep wondering why anyone would get a 340i that costs 5-7000 less than an m3, for me it's all about awd.
+1
I live on the snow belt in South Western Ontario and the snow removal in my area is an absolute disaster. Even with winter tires and AWD, it sometimes feels like I'm sledding around. Might be a different story if I had a wealth of garage space - which unfortunately I do not
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
androidsuxks, audi, audi a4, bmw, bmw (3)series, iphone is better

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST