F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Unpleasant Work Environment
GetBMWParts

07-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #133
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I'll take that as a compliment sir.
I miss working in a big office with fun people (or at least people you could make fun of).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #134
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
I miss working in a big office with fun people (or at least people you could make fun of).
Same here and professional employees. Simple minded fucks aplenty in here. Everyone acts like they know everything about everything and in reality no one here is qualified for their position. I truly miss intelligent conversation or at least someone to know what the hell I'm talking about when it comes to art, movies, music, etc. If you aren't as stupid as everyone else here, you're an outcast. I literally overheard a supervisor making fun of someone for having a degree yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #135
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Chief just gave me an imprinted "stress ball" and I've already begun throwing it TO (not at) people as they walk by.

Today at lunch I was reminded about the "rule" when I made some noise after lifting the cover off my food and getting some steam "Visiting Children must have ADULT supervision" Some random reference to a time when I might or might not have actually flamed my sandwich in the panini maker. Hey, it was a valuable lesson that the smoke alarm alerts some monitoring company, but makes no audible sound to alert employees. We have a new fire alarm now.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #136
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

When I was a manager I tried to make work as enjoyable as possible for my employees. I used to take my sales reps golfing with me. We had hidden putt-putt course set up on the sales floor to pass the time when we had no customers, a cubicle wall was laid in the floor and used as an indoor driving range with foam balls, etc. I miss working for places like that. I need to find a place that not only allows me to utilize my talents but allows me to interact with people of the same mind.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #137
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Absolutely. I meant to Monday and had typed the update, but got called away from my desk and closed the browser before I could finish the post. My apologies.

What seems to be the trouble today sir? Wanna vent on my thread?
All good sir, was just a very boring day waiting for clients to get their act together and bring stuff in that I have requested for weeks now.

One came in to bring his driver log books for 2016 (and I was very clear with him that I needed 2016) and I was all happy because it was going to give me something to do...but as he's dropping it off, I notice the folder says 2015 on it, so I asked him about it. And he's tells me that oh, it's all together, 2016 is in there too. So I said, great, let's take a quick flip through it together before you leave then (because I'm suspicious now), sure enough, it's all 2015. Not one single driver logbook / sheet from 2016. And then he tells me that he doesn't know how that happened, yada yada, but I know that had I let him leave without checking, he would have sworn seven days to Sunday that he had dropped it off and they were in there and I must have lost them. Which is why I always check key stuff now with clients before they leave.

So that fizzled, and then another client sent me a totally incomplete workbook, so couldn't start with that (at this point, I even volunteered to start filling some of the blanks in for him, but he agreed that he wanted to look at it and do it himself instead of paying me)...so that fizzled too.

Happily though, after my post, one of my other clients who I was not expecting work from required a fair bit of my time, so I never got around to responding yesterday. Gave me a few hours in the afternoon of work at least.

I'm going to leave work around noon today I think...starting summer hours, every Friday now around noon till September. So slow in the summer. Which is good in a way, that's when I want to have more time.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:30 AM   #138
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
When I saw this article a few weeks back I immediately thought of this thread...

https://hbr.org/2018/04/4-ways-to-de...toxic-coworker

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #139
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
All good sir, was just a very boring day waiting for clients to get their act together and bring stuff in that I have requested for weeks now.

One came in to bring his driver log books for 2016 (and I was very clear with him that I needed 2016) and I was all happy because it was going to give me something to do...but as he's dropping it off, I notice the folder says 2015 on it, so I asked him about it. And he's tells me that oh, it's all together, 2016 is in there too. So I said, great, let's take a quick flip through it together before you leave then (because I'm suspicious now), sure enough, it's all 2015. Not one single driver logbook / sheet from 2016. And then he tells me that he doesn't know how that happened, yada yada, but I know that had I let him leave without checking, he would have sworn seven days to Sunday that he had dropped it off and they were in there and I must have lost them. Which is why I always check key stuff now with clients before they leave.

So that fizzled, and then another client sent me a totally incomplete workbook, so couldn't start with that (at this point, I even volunteered to start filling some of the blanks in for him, but he agreed that he wanted to look at it and do it himself instead of paying me)...so that fizzled too.

Happily though, after my post, one of my other clients who I was not expecting work from required a fair bit of my time, so I never got around to responding yesterday. Gave me a few hours in the afternoon of work at least.

I'm going to leave work around noon today I think...starting summer hours, every Friday now around noon till September. So slow in the summer. Which is good in a way, that's when I want to have more time.
I'm with you. What do you do exactly?

I deal with a lot of the same issues. The company I work for comes to me with problems and it's my job to provide solutions. Many of the projects I work on seem to take forever waiting on contractors to schedule visits, then waiting on them to get me quotes. Almost every time multiple requotes are needed. Due to being budget conscious I always quotes from multiple companies and all too often they are not comparable at all. I have to provide factual documentation and the ability to clearly present apples to apples comparisons as the accountants that approve the funds for me to spend don't understand 90% of what is going on to begin with. Needless to say that when I have funds to work with my job can be extremely stressful. Getting across the finish line can take 8 months to a year not to mention I typically juggle multiple projects at once. I imagine it would be a nightmare for people who can't multitask but I have ADHD and OCD so it actually works out pretty well for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #140
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm with you. What do you do exactly?

I deal with a lot of the same issues. The company I work for comes to me with problems and it's my job to provide solutions. Many of the projects I work on seem to take forever waiting on contractors to schedule visits, then waiting on them to get me quotes. Almost every time multiple requotes are needed. Due to being budget conscious I always quotes from multiple companies and all too often they are not comparable at all. I have to provide factual documentation and the ability to clearly present apples to apples comparisons as the accountants that approve the funds for me to spend don't understand 90% of what is going on to begin with. Needless to say that when I have funds to work with my job can be extremely stressful. Getting across the finish line can take 8 months to a year not to mention I typically juggle multiple projects at once. I imagine it would be a nightmare for people who can't multitask but I have ADHD and OCD so it actually works out pretty well for me.
I'm a Chartered Accountant (US version is CPA), but I've recently focused mostly on doing tax services, personal tax and corporate tax, with some trusts as well. I like what I do now though, in a previous life I was an auditor for Deloitte, but didn't really enjoy what I was doing although the firm was good.

Edit: When I left Deloitte, I started my own corporation. Which is why I have flexibility on my hours.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
      07-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #141
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
When I saw this article a few weeks back I immediately thought of this thread...

https://hbr.org/2018/04/4-ways-to-de...toxic-coworker
Great read! Very accurate and cut dry. I truly miss being a part of a loyalist team. Sitting down and brainstorming on how to meet objectives and doing it collectively was always something that I enjoyed; not only from being a part of a team but seeing how other employees minds work.

The majority of this thread is about one particular employee but the major issue in this facility is that this mentality has been allowed to go on for so long that it has become the normal attitude for most here. Sadly those that act as if they know everything about the company and how things need to be, are those that know very little. Kind of the smallest dog barks the loudest scenario or because someone talks the loudest, they think they are winning.
In my experience, the loudest person in the room is the weakest person in the room.

Those that come in as new employees see this behavior and eventually cave as they realize there is no favorable outcome to combating it without proper management involvement; unfortunately management mentality is just as bad. This entire place is toxic. If I were to start my own company there are only a handful of people from this company I would consider as employees. I continue to look for jobs elsewhere and have companies calling me to schedule interviews but none have been able to come close to matching what I currently make. I'll eventually get out of here. What I hate is that truly enjoy doing my job, just not here.

Last edited by King Rudi; 07-27-2018 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #142
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm a Chartered Accountant (US version is CPA), but I've recently focused mostly on doing tax services, personal tax and corporate tax, with some trusts as well. I like what I do now though, in a previous life I was an auditor for Deloitte, but didn't really enjoy what I was doing although the firm was good.

Edit: When I left Deloitte, I started my own corporation. Which is why I have flexibility on my hours.
Very nice! Props to you for paving your own way. I'd like to do something to generate my own income in the future but for now I still have a few years getting everything lined up. I also need to come up with how I will generate said revenue. I have the work ethic and the mindset to do it but I also have other obligations to resolve before I can take that risk.
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7929.00
      07-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #143
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Not_Judy Thank you for this.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #144
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthebattle View Post
Not_Judy Thank you for this.
What are you thanking me for? The majority of this thread is just me venting as I realize there is nothing I can do to better the environment here.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #145
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

When a person is in a bad situation sometimes it makes them feel better seeing another person in a bad situation but having good things happening to give them a happier time. It's the comedic part of it all. Need the laughs
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #146
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
When a person is in a bad situation sometimes it makes them feel better seeing another person in a bad situation but having good things happening to give them a happier time. It's the comedic part of it all. Need the laughs
I can see that. Glad my plight and effort in trying to see/provide humor in it helps someone else. That in itself makes this entire thread worth while to me, so thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #147
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
What are you thanking me for? The majority of this thread is just me venting as I realize there is nothing I can do to better the environment here.
Milton...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #148
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Milton...
I actually had this conversation with someone last night! Too damn funny. I'd be totally cool with being relocated to basement and forget about me; just leave me on payroll. They may take my sanity and my dignity, but leave me my damn stapler.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:35 AM   #149
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
I actually had this conversation with someone last night! Too damn funny. I'd be totally cool with being relocated to basement and forget about me; just leave me on payroll.
I was thinking set the place on fire.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #150
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Very nice! Props to you for paving your own way. I'd like to do something to generate my own income in the future but for now I still have a few years getting everything lined up. I also need to come up with how I will generate said revenue. I have the work ethic and the mindset to do it but I also have other obligations to resolve before I can take that risk.
I was fortunate in that there was another accountant retiring so I worked for him for a year to get the clients familiar with me and then I bought all his clients from him. That gave me a solid revenue base right off the bat.

While it is good being on your own, and I think if you find something society wants, you have the expressed personality to succeed, there are a lot of risks as well, so definitely get yourself in a good place financially before you launch.

Any advice you need in the future, I'm happy to help, to an extent. Can't advise on US tax side of things, but happy to have you bounce stuff off me from a general perspective.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #151
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I was thinking set the place on fire.
I wouldn't be offended if that were to happen but with my current path of enlightenment; in good conscious I couldn't do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #152
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I was fortunate in that there was another accountant retiring so I worked for him for a year to get the clients familiar with me and then I bought all his clients from him. That gave me a solid revenue base right off the bat.

While it is good being on your own, and I think if you find something society wants, you have the expressed personality to succeed, there are a lot of risks as well, so definitely get yourself in a good place financially before you launch.

Any advice you need in the future, I'm happy to help, to an extent. Can't advise on US tax side of things, but happy to have you bounce stuff off me from a general perspective.
I truly appreciate that. I'll be in touch.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #153
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep

Quote:
prostitution is still illegal...
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #154
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

prostitution is still illegal...
Not in Nevada it isn't. And Not_Judy is from parts unknown. How do I know he doesn't currently reside in Nevada??
Appreciate 0