F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Retrofit ConnectedDrive registration
Extreme Powerhouse

01-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #1
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Retrofit ConnectedDrive registration

Bit of a longshot, but has anyone that has retrofitted a CIC or NBT head unit with ConnectedDrive managed to get BMW to register them for the service so they get the extended services in the App?

I tried registering online with BMW UK, but got the following expected response:

Quote:
Thank you for your internet application for BMW ConnectedDrive.

I regret to inform you that this is not available in your vehicle. This service uses satellite navigation and Bluetooth telephone preparation with Telematics to offer enhanced services, from emergency SOS calls to providing general information on local amenities. As your vehicle has not been fitted with BMW Assist/BMW navigation system, we are unable to set up an account for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Bit of a longshot, but has anyone that has retrofitted a CIC or NBT head unit with ConnectedDrive managed to get BMW to register them for the service so they get the extended services in the App?

I tried registering online with BMW UK, but got the following expected response:
It's not going to work if you don't have a Telematics Combox.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

But the Combox is built into the NBT.

I can access the Internet, run BMW Apps and access all the Online services just fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
The media portion is but for Teleservices, you need a Telematics combox. Which is why you have a green HSD connector on your NBT for the Telematics combox USB.

The Telematics combox has a built in SIM Card and IMEI number that's needed to register with BMW assist so it's pretty much a 3G Telephone.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:22 AM   #5
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I looked at some official BMW Training documents on NBT and it seems like for all vehicles equipped with NBT, there's something called a Telematics Communication Box (TCB) which replaces the Telematics Combox and it is needed to have all of the features below functioning:

6AC Intelligent Emergency Call
6AE Teleservices
6AK Connected Drive Services
6AM Real-Time Traffic Information
6AN Concierge Services
6AP Remote Services

The TCB also has a IMEI and a SIM card just like the Telematics Combox.

I think if anyone from Canada or the US with a 2014 F3x who retrofits NBT from ENTRY will lose BMW assist as the telematics combox isn't compatible with NBT.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:39 AM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I found a TCB with a production production date 08/13 on ebay

If no one bids on this and I win it for $30 I'll try to install it to my NBT and see if I can convince BMW Canada to activate me lol
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:40 AM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I found a TCB with a production production date 08/13 on ebay

If no one bids on this and I win it for $30 I'll try to install it to my NBT and see if I can convince BMW Canada to activate me lol
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 01:58 AM   #8
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That's not the case though because a lot of those services are working for me. You can just configure them to use your phones 3G data over USB.

On my car I have had all of the following working and definitely do not have a TCB:
- ConnectedDrive applications working including Deezer over 3G
- BMW Live services including news, weather, google maps, etc
- Office functionality
- RTTI works for me in Navigation. I can even get a summary of accidents

I very much doubt you will get BMW to enable the services for you.

Oh, and the really odd bit. If I disable use Bluetooth data, all those services still work and I can see on the phone it isn't using the personal hotspot any longer!

Last edited by steddyman; 02-04-2014 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Ns-2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
That's not the case though because a lot of those services are working for me. You can just configure them to use your phones 3G data over USB.

On my car I have had all of the following working and definitely do not have a TCB:
- BMW Live services including news, weather, google maps, etcetc
- Office functionality

Oh, and the really odd bit. If I disable use Bluetooth data, all those services still work and I can see on the phone it isn't using the personal hotspot any longer!
That's very interesting. I have an e89 which I can get BMW Live, Internet, office to work but not RTTI. If you switch of your phone does these items work.

I've been working for months to get RTTI to work via tethering with no luck. How did you succeed? Have you registered your vehicle with BMW to have these services?

There are many people across forums who are trying to get RTTI to work via Bluetooth tethering, so any knowledge would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #10
x-cimo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2013 Sportline

I would love to get RTTI in Canada with the old COMBOX (not NBT).

Would bluetooth/usb tethering work on that one?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
Ns-2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-cimo View Post
I would love to get RTTI in Canada with the old COMBOX (not NBT).

Would bluetooth/usb tethering work on that one?
Yes that's what I have to. It would be great for the people who have done this to post their trace files.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 01:09 AM   #12
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:

- BMW Live services including news, weather, google maps, etc
- Office functionality

If you turning off BT on your phone / data device and your still getting the services then the NBT has the TCB and or you do have a Telematics box and its registered. The easiest way for us to figure this out is if you can post a pic of all your ECU's with ESYS.

For the others on this thread, getting and installing the Telematics HW is the easy part you can get many of them on Ebay etc. It's enabling it through BMW services (their call center that's a nightmare). I have excellent connections at BMW and I have tried many times, it's all controlled centrally and they @nal about enabling it!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
We retrofitted NBT on a 2014 320i last weekend which had 6AC and 6AE from the factory combox and strangely, the SOS button still worked.

If you don't take the BMW Connected Drive Professional package, you're stuck with only one mic which we rerouted directly to the head unit from the combox and the person on the other end from BMW could not hear us at all. The person from BMW Assist was going to dispatch since he couldn't hear us on the map and we weren't able to hang up or end the call.

In the end, we had to get him to call BMW Roadside and tell them that everything was ok before the released the call.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #14
Mickcasey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2.18i F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
We retrofitted NBT on a 2014 320i last weekend which had 6AC and 6AE from the factory combox and strangely, the SOS button still worked.

If you don't take the BMW Connected Drive Professional package, you're stuck with only one mic which we rerouted directly to the head unit from the combox and the person on the other end from BMW could not hear us at all. The person from BMW Assist was going to dispatch since he couldn't hear us on the map and we weren't able to hang up or end the call.

In the end, we had to get him to call BMW Roadside and tell them that everything was ok before the released the call.

hello i have a problem my car f22 and i updated car nbt but my sos button not workıng true. Its tryıng to connect emergency services with bluetooth phone not from trunk sim card.

Can you help me thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickcasey View Post
hello i have a problem my car f22 and i updated car nbt but my sos button not workıng true. Its tryıng to connect emergency services with bluetooth phone not from trunk sim card.

Can you help me thanks.
I replied to your PM, but since you posted here, I'll ask here too.

What SIM Card in trunk?

Are you referring to old Telematics Combox?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
Mickcasey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I replied to your PM, but since you posted here, I'll ask here too.

What SIM Card in trunk?

Are you referring to old Telematics Combox?

no my car f22 and you know there is a simcard at trunk after production 2014/6
ı have sos button. But today we update car nbt and simcard not working anymore. Emegerncy services try to connect with bluetooth phone device when i push try to take data from bluetooth device not from sim data

6AC INTELLIGENT EMERGENCY CALL
6AE TELESERVICES

have these services.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #17
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickcasey View Post
no my car f22 and you know there is a simcard at trunk after production 2014/6
ı have sos button. But today we update car nbt and simcard not working anymore. Emegerncy services try to connect with bluetooth phone device when i push try to take data from bluetooth device not from sim data

6AC INTELLIGENT EMERGENCY CALL
6AE TELESERVICES

have these services.
I am asking you what module. Did car already have TCB Module? What was old Head Unit type?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
If it's 06/14 he would most likely have CMB_MEDIA and CMB_ECALL. I know for 07/14, HU_ENTRYNAV would come with TCB so his SOS will work like OEM with the exception of having only one mic on the driver side.

I have a feeling he disconnected the entire combox which is why his SOS isn't working. I've fitted NBT to two 2014 models with HU_ENTRY and SOS would work on NBT and CMB_ECALL. It will show your coordinates on the Idrive screen and it'll say establishing call. The SOS button must be directly routed to the combox or something. When we go to to the connected drive Menu, all we see is Messages and there's no option for Road Side Asssitande or Customer relations.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #19
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
... have a feeling he disconnected the entire combox which is why his SOS isn't working...
Yes, me too, which is why when I keep asking him to explain exactly what module his SIM card is in.

And as far as I know, you cannot keep a Telematics Combox connected though, and disable Media but Keep Telematics and make it work with NBT. NBT must have TCB.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #20
Mickcasey
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, me too, which is why when I keep asking him to explain exactly what module his SIM card is in.

And as far as I know, you cannot keep a Telematics Combox connected though, and disable Media but Keep Telematics and make it work with NBT. NBT must have TCB.

Yes at the end i handle you are right cable connect problem.

When i go to to the connected drive Menu, i dont see Messages title how can i activate it.

Also how can i add service telephone number to nbt emergency sevice call menu

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #21
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You can. There's a few Bluetooth and USB parameters that you can disable in CMB_MEDIA and once you have those turned off, the NBT USB and Bluetooth Antenna becomes primary and they will no longer conflict. I've done this on my F30 and two others.

I also thought NBT would only work with TCB but it can also work with CMB_ECALL, at least only for the SOS functionality. Only problem is, if you reroute the mic by the sun visor over to the head unit directly, BMW Asssist won't be able to hear you because you don't have the second mic installed by the passenger side. You can however, put the original 2 pin mic connector which goes into the combox back into the mic and it will work.

There's no way to trigger an SOS call from the ConnectedDrive Menu on the retrofitted NBT though even if you do a BMW Assist update. We can't seem to get the roadside assistance and customer service options to come up.

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 07-01-2015 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:22 PM   #22
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Is there a way to use the connected drive deezer function in idrive to use the phone 3G connection?
(Instead of using the cable from iPhone to the armrest USB port)

Has some coding to be done to enable this? If so can someone share details please.

F82 M4
Appreciate 0