F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Avin 10.5 android display screen
Extreme Powerhouse

09-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Avin 10.5 android display screen

Looking at all the posts regarding this screen/upgrade has anyone actually managed to get this thing to work properly.
Looking at all the posts I haven't yet seen any positive remarks saying that this thing works straight out of the box. Everyone seems to have some troubles with this item yet the company are still selling these units and even have a UK supplier who sells and fit these units.

If this unit is so bad I cannot see how they are still selling these units and gullible people are still buying.

So my question is has anyone managed to get these displays working and are they happy with the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

I had one of the Avin 4.4 units in my last car from April until early August, as long as you accept it will never be as good as OEM then it works fine, gave me Nav and the ability to see music artwork plus a nicer bigger screen. The DAB would have been better if I'd spent more time installing the antenna, my bad. It seemed the less kit you had to start with the better it worked. Sold mine to a chap in Carlisle, last I heard he was pleased with it.
Mick
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by machman767 View Post
I had one of the Avin 4.4 units in my last car from April until early August, as long as you accept it will never be as good as OEM then it works fine, gave me Nav and the ability to see music artwork plus a nicer bigger screen. The DAB would have been better if I'd spent more time installing the antenna, my bad. It seemed the less kit you had to start with the better it worked. Sold mine to a chap in Carlisle, last I heard he was pleased with it.
Mick
Thanks that's promising I have entry nav with small screen looking at the Avin or may just upgrade to larger screen 8.8
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I think a lot of the problems people are having are due to trying to make the unit do things a tablet could do, automating processes, etc. Keep things simple and it works pretty well, and I'm not trying to fall out with anyone! I do miss the larger screen now I'm back with a smaller one so maybe the 8.8" screen is the way forward?
Mick
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Ozzie_89
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32

I had a AVINUSA unit recently and it worked perfectly fine no lag etc. I m currently offer I g mine up for sale if anyone is interested as I have since changed vehicle. I have the 2nd gen 4.4 version.
      09-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think a lot of the problems people are having are due to trying to make the unit do things a tablet could do, automating processes, etc. Keep things simple and it works pretty well, and I'm not trying to fall out with anyone! I do miss the larger screen now I'm back with a smaller one so maybe the 8.8" screen is the way forward?
Mick
Mick
Thanks for your input your advice seems good to go for the 8.8 inch screen, on my setup I cant play video files due to it being entry-nav so the Avin seemed a good alternative.
Ok with the 8.8 inch screen I still cant play video file but I know it will work flawlessly changing a couple of lines of code.
My concerns are the Avin unit like many systems running android will go out of date then another upgrade and extra outlay would be required so I think that the best way forward is stick with what I have and put the 8.8 inch Screen in.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mick
What was the sound like from this unit while playing movies or mp3 was it as bad as people make out or was as good as a standard BMW base unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The sound was fine, used an app called Noozxoide as a sound processor, no issues. Didn't use it to play movies.
Mick
Appreciate 0