F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Side-View camera failure...
GetBMWParts

01-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

Side-View camera failure...

Hmm, was hoping my gadgets would last a little longer than this!

Left Side-View camera has gone down and when trying to display the function, the front right image appears briefly, the front left camera is blank and then the screen reverts back to whatever it was showing beforehand.

Car error log shows the function failure and suggest contacting service - great!

There's no obvious visual damage to the camera and I generally avoid automatic car washes so it must be something to do with the wiring or the control box maybe. The surround view still works fine as it uses the rear-facing and door-mirror based cameras so I'm not 'completely blind'

Haven't seen any other posts about this kind of problem so I guess it's just bad luck rather than bad QC on BMW's part
      01-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Cilonen
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla M3, 2016 F11 530d

I had a failure of the entire camera system shortly after receiving my F30, which coincided with a fault in the lane change warning system.

Car went back to the dealer for checks and they found a loose wire in the steering column was to blame - causing a short. Problem was fixed in under an hour.

It could well be a QC issue!

Hope it gets sorted quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Floriank
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport Tanzanite

You're right, it probably is just a wiring loom problem but I just hate the thought of dealers loosening and removing internal or external panels and covers - usually the beginning of creaks and rattles as they never quite get them back to the perfect tight factory fit......
      10-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Ric_Flair_Dripp
Registered
Rep
Drives: 14 f32 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floriank View Post
You're right, it probably is just a wiring loom problem but I just hate the thought of dealers loosening and removing internal or external panels and covers - usually the beginning of creaks and rattles as they never quite get them back to the perfect tight factory fit......
Years later.. What was the outcome. I just purchased a beautiful 435i and have the exact same issue. Left camera out, right shows briefly but then image reverts back to what was last on the screen. Top dynamic view and rear views work fine.
Appreciate 0