F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dynamic Handling Package = Best Option Ever.
ARMA SPEED

10-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #67
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Guess I should have ordered DHP.

Am I supposed to turn my car in now for destruction? Where do I go to do that? Can I just change the badge to something else?
Yes, rebadge as a Camry.....
      10-19-2014, 08:34 PM   #68
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Agree, but love my MPS
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #69
akr1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F33 428 X

I just got a F33 428 X drive without the DHP. Having tested a AWD vert with DHP but not the M sports suspension, loved the handling but hated the VSS steering that comes with the DHP package. When I got my car, I was pleasantly surprised with the chassis handling which seemed identical to the 15 minutes I had spent at the dealer a couple of months ago in an F33 with DHP.

Now I am confused and I hope you can enlighten me. My understanding was with DHP you got the Sports and Sports+ driving mode (in addition to Eco-Pro and Comfort) and the ability in iDrive to choose Drivetrain, Chassis or both. To my pleasant surprise my car has all that and after a couple of weeks of testing various combinations, Sports with both drivetrain and chassis engaged is a huge upgrade in performance and appears very similar in my recollection to my test drive in a DHP equipped F33. This is what I use virtually all the time except on bad roads. Without chassis checked, Sports mode improves transmission points and has a slightly tighter steering but when Chassis is checked is dramatically stiffer. Note, I don't have the M Sports suspension which I understand is very similar to DHP.
So then, what does DHP (forget the steering part) do that the base vehicle does not? I understand DHP has continuous adjustment of the shocks and other suspension parts in reaction to road conditions. Perhaps the non-DHP vehicles don't have that, however, given my admittedly brief experience with the DHP car, I can recall no real difference.

In addition, I had thought you needed DHP to have the option to choose drivetrain/chassis combinations in Sports mode. This is obviously not correct. Is it possible that BMW has added the DHP chassis parts as standard on 2015 models, perhaps on X drive cars only? I have the F33.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #70
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I had also always thought that if you saw chassis and transmission options in idrive then you have DHP. If you feel a change in the suspension (which you should be easily able to tell as you toggle between sport and comfort as you are driving) then you have DHP. You can look at your shocks and if there is a wire going to them then you have DHP. I've seen a few sample pictures of said wire on this forum if you search around.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #71
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3
I had also always thought that if you saw chassis and transmission options in idrive then you have DHP. If you feel a change in the suspension (which you should be easily able to tell as you toggle between sport and comfort as you are driving) then you have DHP. You can look at your shocks and if there is a wire going to them then you have DHP. I've seen a few sample pictures of said wire on this forum if you search around.
DHP doesn't add those abilities in idrive. It simply adds electronic dampers (and in the US, VSS). The only tell will be the wire that's mentioned. No matter the mode you're in, those dampers will adjust the stiffness of the suspension in response to the road conditions. They don't care what mode you're in, they just do their thing. The upshot, at least in my test drives, was that it made the standard comfort mode softer and standard sport mode stiffer and more responsive, both good things in my book.

Whether or not this has changed for 2015, I don't know. I added the DHP package to my F31 build, but the car hasn't arrived yet, so I can't say for sure. I will say that I doubt they would add the electronic dampers to all models or lines willy-nilly.

EDIT: another note. xDrive cars don't get the sport suspension whether they are m-sport line or otherwise. I think those models benefit the most from DHP. RWD cars with the sport suspension probably don't gain a lot from DHP, but I can't confirm that firsthand.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #72
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

You should check the sticker, because it sounds like you have DHP.

Without DHP, you will not have the options to change the characteristics of the car (chassis/Drivetrain) in iDrive menus. You WILL have Sport and Sport+ Toggle switch options w/Sportline and M-Sport models, but not the other DHP handling changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akr1 View Post
In addition, I had thought you needed DHP to have the option to choose drivetrain/chassis combinations in Sports mode. This is obviously not correct. Is it possible that BMW has added the DHP chassis parts as standard on 2015 models, perhaps on X drive cars only? I have the F33.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #73
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

If you have adaptive dampers, you must have DHP!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #74
akr1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F33 428 X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post

Without DHP, you will not have the options to change the characteristics of the car (chassis/Drivetrain) in iDrive menus. You WILL have Sport and Sport+ Toggle switch options w/Sportline and M-Sport models, but not the other DHP handling changes.
Definitely did not pay for DHP and my build does not show the DHP codes, just the sports transmission. Also from what I can see through the wheelwell with the wheel turned all the way is a wire (or wires) going into the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #75
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

Hey good for you!! You got DHP for free!

They must've felt bad knowing you ordered an Xdrive model without DHP and threw it in for free because they couldn't bear the disappointment.

W
Quote:
Definitely did not pay for DHP and my build does not show the DHP codes, just the sports transmission. Also from what I can see through the wheelwell with the wheel turned all the way is a wire (or wires) going into the dampers.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #76
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akr1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post

That wire is the giveaway. You have electronic dampers. Sounds like you got a freebie. I honestly don't see why they don't just add those to every m-sport model with xdrive anyways, although I know some people don't like or want them.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #77
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
I just got a F33 428 X drive without the DHP. Having tested a AWD vert with DHP but not the M sports suspension, loved the handling but hated the VSS steering that comes with the DHP package. When I got my car, I was pleasantly surprised with the chassis handling which seemed identical to the 15 minutes I had spent at the dealer a couple of months ago in an F33 with DHP.

Now I am confused and I hope you can enlighten me. My understanding was with DHP you got the Sports and Sports+ driving mode (in addition to Eco-Pro and Comfort) and the ability in iDrive to choose Drivetrain, Chassis or both. To my pleasant surprise my car has all that and after a couple of weeks of testing various combinations, Sports with both drivetrain and chassis engaged is a huge upgrade in performance and appears very similar in my recollection to my test drive in a DHP equipped F33. This is what I use virtually all the time except on bad roads. Without chassis checked, Sports mode improves transmission points and has a slightly tighter steering but when Chassis is checked is dramatically stiffer. Note, I don't have the M Sports suspension which I understand is very similar to DHP.
So then, what does DHP (forget the steering part) do that the base vehicle does not? I understand DHP has continuous adjustment of the shocks and other suspension parts in reaction to road conditions. Perhaps the non-DHP vehicles don't have that, however, given my admittedly brief experience with the DHP car, I can recall no real difference.

thanks
At the end, a car with DHP will drive totally like a different animal than a car without DHP, especially on a X-Drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #78
sevalley
Rep
Drives: 430i Grand Coupe

I just got a 428i sportline. It doesn't say DHP on the sticker, but does that come with the sportline package? I have the option in my idrive to turn on and off the "chassis" and "drivetrain" or "both" in the sport mode and a bunch of options in the eco mode as well. When I turn on sport or sport+ mode the car turns into a beast. Is this DHP or is that something more on top of this as well?
      11-08-2014, 03:24 PM   #79
Prissy
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [5.50]
2020 M340I  [0.00]
2017 X3  [0.00]
2008 BMW E92  [9.00]
2010 BMW E92  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevalley View Post
I just got a 428i sportline. It doesn't say DHP on the sticker, but does that come with the sportline package? I have the option in my idrive to turn on and off the "chassis" and "drivetrain" or "both" in the sport mode and a bunch of options in the eco mode as well. When I turn on sport or sport+ mode the car turns into a beast. Is this DHP or is that something more on top of this as well?
You may feel the extra torque but with DHP the steering feel and cornering feel are more stiff/firm/less bodyroll.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #80
sevalley
Rep
Drives: 430i Grand Coupe

I def also feel a big difference in stiff/firm/bodyroll as well. No question about it. I assume that's the "chassis" option on the sport mode. I just dont know if this is different than the DHP chassis setting.
      11-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #81
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Think you guys are mixing up DHP (Dynamic Handling Package), which is a Package just like say the Technology Package, which come with certain things like variable steering etc. VS "Adaptive Suspension" (M or otherwise), which is the computer controlled Dampening system, that reads thhe road conditions and "Adapts" the suspension to give you the best ride possible. DHP may or may not have Adaptive Suspension, depends on your market.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #82
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
Think you guys are mixing up DHP (Dynamic Handling Package), which is a Package just like say the Technology Package, which come with certain things like variable steering etc. VS "Adaptive Suspension" (M or otherwise), which is the computer controlled Dampening system, that reads thhe road conditions and "Adapts" the suspension to give you the best ride possible. DHP may or may not have Adaptive Suspension, depends on your market.
No, we're not confused. Most posters here are in the USA/CA. On both BMWNA build websites, the Dynamic Handling Package (DHP), consists of the Variable Sport Steering and the Adaptive M Suspension. Outside the USA/CA, there are many fewer packages, and you can (probably) either/or them.
See http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=153N
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #83
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

What suspension do you get if you order the M-Sport package and how does this differ from DHP?

Does DHP give you the same suspension as M-Sport with the addition of VSS?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #84
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB
What suspension do you get if you order the M-Sport package and how does this differ from DHP?

Does DHP give you the same suspension as M-Sport with the addition of VSS?
That's where it gets slightly confusing. M-sport gives you a slightly stiffer and lower sport suspension if you have a RWD car. If you have an xDrive with M-sport, you don't get the sport suspension and it isn't any lower. DHP (the package, which includes dampers and vss), adds electronic dampers to your existing suspension, whether it's a RWD or an xDrive.

This is why I don't think DHP is worth it on a RWD M-sport, since it isn't adding a whole lot, and why I think it's a must have for xDrive cars since it nearly transforms the drive into something similar to that on a RWD car with the sport suspension.

I could be wrong though, as the whole thing is a bit confusing.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #85
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
This is why I don't think DHP is worth it on a RWD M-sport, since it isn't adding a whole lot, and why I think it's a must have for xDrive cars since it nearly transforms the drive into something similar to that on a RWD car with the sport suspension.

The M-Sport suspension is often deleted on M-Sport orders here in New Zealand because it's rather firm, but the other accoutrements are still desirable. I was going to make sure I got the M-Sport suspension on my order, rather than auto-delete, but then I saw I could have adaptive for only 1.5K more. That was a no brainer for me.

For most of my daily drive, I leave the car in comfort mode and it is supremely comfortable yet controlled. It's only when I want to have a spirited drive in the twists that I engage Sports suspension, and the car is transformed with stunning road holding (beyond my abilities, if I'm honest).

The DHP, with VSS, is a great package for those who like driving and comfort.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 05:54 AM   #86
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS
Quote:

The M-Sport suspension is often deleted on M-Sport orders here in New Zealand because it's rather firm, but the other accoutrements are still desirable. I was going to make sure I got the M-Sport suspension on my order, rather than auto-delete, but then I saw I could have adaptive for only 1.5K more. That was a no brainer for me.

For most of my daily drive, I leave the car in comfort mode and it is supremely comfortable yet controlled. It's only when I want to have a spirited drive in the twists that I engage Sports suspension, and the car is transformed with stunning road holding (beyond my abilities, if I'm honest).

The DHP, with VSS, is a great package for those who like driving and comfort.
Agreed.

And you have a 335 MT wagon?? I hate American tastes so much. I would kill to get one of those over here...

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #87
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

So if you get DHP on a regular RWD, do you get the whole Sports suspension?
      11-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #88
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
And you have a 335 MT wagon?? I hate American tastes so much. I would kill to get one of those over here...
Yes. I know.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0