F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 Muffler Delete (video included)
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

N26 Muffler Delete (video included)


A well renown exhaust shop in my area did a muffler delete for me and replaced it with 3" pipe and black painted dual tips. Quite happy with the results. There is a slight drone at highway speeds but bearable enough to not annoy yourself or passengers ears. After the cold start it is quiet similar to the M Performance Muffler.


***UPDATED WITH NEW VIDEOS*** 2.7.17
It has been over two years since I had the muffler delete and I figured it was due for an updated video of a few revs and finally a take off & drive by. Currently running Dinan Sport + Tune and Injen Intake.




***UPDATED WITH NEW VIDEOS*** 8.5.17
Deleted my secondary cat.







Forward to 11:13 for a take off.


***UPDATED WITH NEW VIDEO*** 1.19.18


***UPDATED WITH NEW VIDEO*** 2.22.18


***UPDATED WITH NEW VIDEOS*** 2.28.18

__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328


Last edited by Phil2thejay; 03-01-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Appreciate 3
      11-16-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
f30luxline
e92 - 335i
United_States
163
Rep
757
Posts

Drives: thisonetimeatbandcamp
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (1)

Do you have a DP?

I think this proves one mans opinion can greatly differ from another's. I had my muffler disconnected for a couple days and the drone was crazy. So much that at certain rpm's is would cause a lot of rattles inside the cabin and I wasn't able to hold a convo with a person in the back seat. I have a catless DP. I was so happy to get the muffler re-installed

Not a pleasant tone at the least. Very disturbing.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #3
BeachsideF30
Lieutenant
63
Rep
474
Posts

Drives: E90--> E92-->F30
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Definitely need to see some driving videos of that
Appreciate 1
Wai32856.50

      11-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30luxline
Do you have a DP?

I think this proves one mans opinion can greatly differ from another's. I had my muffler disconnected for a couple days and the drone was crazy. So much that at certain rpm's is would cause a lot of rattles inside the cabin and I wasn't able to hold a convo with a person in the back seat. I have a catless DP. I was so happy to get the muffler re-installed

Not a pleasant tone at the least. Very disturbing.
just the stock downpipe. I think it would be super loud if I had both my muffler delete and DP
__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 1
      11-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
wolves
Second Lieutenant
27
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Sounds great like that. Is there a noticeable drop in the lower RPM range when punching it?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

I've uploaded new videos to show how good it still sounds 2 years down the road.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
D041987's Avatar
United_States
194
Rep
488
Posts

Drives: 2012 328I 6speed
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Lynnwood, WA

iTrader: (0)

I think the N26 sounds better with the muffler delete than the N20 cause of the secondary cat/ resonator. Or have you had these removed and are just running the single cat in the DP?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post
I think the N26 sounds better with the muffler delete than the N20 cause of the secondary cat/ resonator. Or have you had these removed and are just running the single cat in the DP?
2nd cat and resonator are still on. Im considering gutting the 2nd cat.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Jchn
Banned
8
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

It sounds better than I expected! I have the N26 as well and am interested in doing a muffler delete with 3" piping. Is there anyway you could upload a picture showing the underbody? Specifically showing the replaced piping? I want make it sound exactly like yours
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchn
It sounds better than I expected! I have the N26 as well and am interested in doing a muffler delete with 3" piping. Is there anyway you could upload a picture showing the underbody? Specifically showing the replaced piping? I want make it sound exactly like yours
hope this answers your question of how it was welded on.
Attached Images
  
__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 1
      03-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #11
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
977
Rep
2,388
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Will be taking my 328i in on Monday to have this done. Will try to post videos and pics afterwards showing how close I can get to this!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Will be taking my 328i in on Monday to have this done. Will try to post videos and pics afterwards showing how close I can get to this!
Just make sure you test it with wide open throttle afterwards. I had an issue where the Y pipe to split into the dual tips, caused a whistle noise, they had to get specific y pipe more shaped like a U to fix that issue.
__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)



Follow this link to see another video of my exhaust in a semi-open parking garage.
__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
977
Rep
2,388
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2thejay View Post
Just make sure you test it with wide open throttle afterwards. I had an issue where the Y pipe to split into the dual tips, caused a whistle noise, they had to get specific y pipe more shaped like a U to fix that issue.
Got it done on Monday and have been driving around with it since. We actually just kept it as a 3" until we hit tips, in an attempt to bring down any drone. Sounds beautiful and I'll post some videos of a cold/warm when I get home. Not too loud when driving in general, with the exception of the cold start which can be pretty loud. I only get a slight drone on the highway when I let off the gas or accelerate; keeping a constant speed is nice and quiet. The deceleration pops are great as well. Thanks for the original thread, as it really helped me out. I'll tack the videos on this post later.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #15
lordtombrady
New Member
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2015 X1 E84 xDrive28i
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Nice, 2014 F30 N26 here, would love to do that, also.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #16
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
977
Rep
2,388
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Alright, so finally got around to pictures and some videos! Testing out the blue for now, but pretty sure I'm just gonna black out the tips and keep with my theme of no-chrome.

If you guys want any additional videos or have questions, let me know.

https://youtu.be/Q9J7jr4C3bI

https://youtu.be/F3AHjKDCfHQ
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
8162
Rep
96,525
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Alright, so finally got around to pictures and some videos! Testing out the blue for now, but pretty sure I'm just gonna black out the tips and keep with my theme of no-chrome.

If you guys want any additional videos or have questions, let me know.

https://youtu.be/Q9J7jr4C3bI

https://youtu.be/F3AHjKDCfHQ
Looks good
Appreciate 1
BunkerJ976.50

      04-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #18
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Sound dope! Glad my videos helped on your decision.
__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 01:12 AM   #19
Clefmonster
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2016 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

How much did this end up costing you?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #20
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
977
Rep
2,388
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clefmonster View Post
How much did this end up costing you?
With the new tips, $235. Old tips would've cost me about $135 where I went.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #21
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
434
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

you get what you pay for... not a bad sound when accelerating but the drone when cruising must be disgusting.

if you want a drone free exhaust setup that is still loud when you step on it, get a downpipe and keep the rest of your exhaust stock. if that is not loud enough, get a new muffler but dont just chop it off all together!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #22
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
977
Rep
2,388
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
you get what you pay for... not a bad sound when accelerating but the drone when cruising must be disgusting.

if you want a drone free exhaust setup that is still loud when you step on it, get a downpipe and keep the rest of your exhaust stock. if that is not loud enough, get a new muffler but dont just chop it off all together!
Surprising enough, no drone when just cruising. If I press the pedal enough to speed up quickly, you get a little, but not enough to bother you or your passengers. I think the second cat really helps out. But I could see your concerns on others besides the N26.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
exhaust, f30, muffler, n26, straightpipe

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST