F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 Muffler Delete (video included)
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #23
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
426
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Surprising enough, no drone when just cruising. If I press the pedal enough to speed up quickly, you get a little, but not enough to bother you or your passengers. I think the second cat really helps out. But I could see your concerns on others besides the N26.
sounds similar to my exhaust setup, secondary cat delete + magnaflow muffler. the magnaflow is good for the money and I probably should have gone more expensive for something like a BMW but the deep, smooth tone of the m-flow is really, really well suited to the exhaust note of an inline 6. it sounds great. I just prefer to have some sort of muffler and also a resonator in my exhaust setup because it cleans up the exhaust note and makes it smoother.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 01:27 AM   #24
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
sounds similar to my exhaust setup, secondary cat delete + magnaflow muffler. the magnaflow is good for the money and I probably should have gone more expensive for something like a BMW but the deep, smooth tone of the m-flow is really, really well suited to the exhaust note of an inline 6. it sounds great. I just prefer to have some sort of muffler and also a resonator in my exhaust setup because it cleans up the exhaust note and makes it smoother.
Oh, I don't disagree. I will in the future do something similar, this was just a cheaper alternative in the meantime. I just love the deep tone.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Surprising enough, no drone when just cruising. If I press the pedal enough to speed up quickly, you get a little, but not enough to bother you or your passengers. I think the second cat really helps out. But I could see your concerns on others besides the N26.
Same, the sound deadening material in the BMW does a real good job keeping that drone out. I hardly hear mine with the radio on at a reasonable level. If anything, the only exhaust mod will be a catted downpipe. second cat and resonator will stay in there. I couldn't be any happier with the $$ I paid for a simple mod.
__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 1
BunkerJ790.00

      05-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #26
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
426
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Oh, I don't disagree. I will in the future do something similar, this was just a cheaper alternative in the meantime. I just love the deep tone.
honestly, it sounds pretty good! the n55 and n20 sound better then I thought they would having no muffler.

but in the future i would go for a catless downpipe but then you would have to do something with the muffler... muffler delete + downpipe = nobueno.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #27
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
honestly, it sounds pretty good! the n55 and n20 sound better then I thought they would having no muffler.

but in the future i would go for a catless downpipe but then you would have to do something with the muffler... muffler delete + downpipe = nobueno.
Yeah, I'm in California right now, so that would be a pain because I'd have to swap that for every smog test.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #28
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
426
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Yeah, I'm in California right now, so that would be a pain because I'd have to swap that for every smog test.
ah... right.

go catted downpipe if you can. if not, just keep the muffler removed that will be good enough for what you need.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #29
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
ah... right.

go catted downpipe if you can. if not, just keep the muffler removed that will be good enough for what you need.
Yeah, that's what I'll be looking into next. Now if California could just relax with the strict smog tests...
Appreciate 1
STR8-6IX426.00

      05-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #30
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
426
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Yeah, that's what I'll be looking into next. Now if California could just relax with the strict smog tests...
messing with emission related components on your vehicle is illegal here in canada, but who is going to look underneath my car and check if my secondary cats are still in place, which they're not

i still have my primary cats, although I dont want them on my car. so it sounds good but no smell and I still pass emissions.

you guys are unlucky.. here in canada our emissions testing is not very strict especially after a new law passed where you dont even have to hook anything up to the exhaust system to check if you even pass smog.. they dont check underneath your car either.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #31
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
messing with emission related components on your vehicle is illegal here in canada, but who is going to look underneath my car and check if my secondary cats are still in place, which they're not

i still have my primary cats, although I dont want them on my car. so it sounds good but no smell and I still pass emissions.

you guys are unlucky.. here in canada our emissions testing is not very strict especially after a new law passed where you dont even have to hook anything up to the exhaust system to check if you even pass smog.. they dont check underneath your car either.
Not that it happens often, but if highway patrol got you, they could knock you for certain components. If only we could have the best of both worlds: clean and power.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #32
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Secondary Cat Deleted



Forward to 11:13 for a take off.


__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328


Last edited by Phil2thejay; 08-05-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #33
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2thejay View Post
Secondary Cat Deleted



Forward to 11:13 for a take off.


What's it like having the second cat off now?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #34
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvAjiiFkMpM

Got a drive by recorded finally.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #35
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvAjiiFkMpM

Got a drive by recorded finally.
sounds good.

the 2nd cat delete slightly a deeper growl. not too much a difference. If you delete the stock resonator you get a decent back fire crack. I wouldnt do it to my car though. too obnoxious.
__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #36
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
7589
Rep
93,732
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2thejay View Post
sounds good.

the 2nd cat delete slightly a deeper growl. not too much a difference. If you delete the stock resonator you get a decent back fire crack. I wouldnt do it to my car though. too obnoxious.
Yeah dont recommend deleting stock resonators, ruins the sound of the car in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 11:43 AM   #37
Domotron
Captain
Domotron's Avatar
United_States
118
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

quick question, i know factory exhaust pipe size is 3 inch would it be ok if i get exhaust tips with 2.5 inch inlet ?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #38
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domotron View Post
quick question, i know factory exhaust pipe size is 3 inch would it be ok if i get exhaust tips with 2.5 inch inlet ?
Yeah. That's what mine is.
Appreciate 1
Domotron117.50

      08-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #39
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2thejay View Post
sounds good.

the 2nd cat delete slightly a deeper growl. not too much a difference. If you delete the stock resonator you get a decent back fire crack. I wouldnt do it to my car though. too obnoxious.
Did you see any performance gains?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #40
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Yeah. That's what mine is.
Same as mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Did you see any performance gains?
Nope. Nothing that is physically noticeable besides sound. Doubt there would be on a dyno either.
__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #41
Zabiz
New Member
Zabiz's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2thejay View Post
Same as mine



Nope. Nothing that is physically noticeable besides sound. Doubt there would be on a dyno either.
Hey man, how did you take care of the exhaust flap after removing the muffler?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 11:30 PM   #42
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabiz View Post
Hey man, how did you take care of the exhaust flap after removing the muffler?
You just disconnect the wiring and tie it up in the bumper area. You won't get a CEL
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #43
Phil2thejay
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Phil2thejay's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: F30 N26 M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

***UPDATE 1.19.18

I told myself the secondary cat was the last exhaust/engine mod.
2018 - Now here I am with a VRSF Catless Downpipe.

Additionally upgraded both the charge & boost pipe manufactured by FTP Motorsports.

__________________
EBII F30 N26 M-Sport
Injen | H&R | VR Speed Factory| FTP Motorsports | RW Carbon | Custom Exhaust | Custom Splitter |
Custom Tune: 264WHP and 319WTQ at 20PSI | Instagram @myboiblu328

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #44
BunkerJ
Colonel
BunkerJ's Avatar
790
Rep
2,069
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2thejay View Post
***UPDATE 1.19.18

I told myself the secondary cat was the last exhaust/engine mod.
2018 - Now here I am with a VRSF Catless Downpipe.

Additionally upgraded both the charge & boost pipe manufactured by FTP Motorsports.

Nice! I actually decided to go full exhaust suite after I did my delete. Went with ER Catless, and AWE Midpipe/Quad Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
exhaust, f30, muffler, n26, straightpipe

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST