F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > track pads only - please recommend
ARMA SPEED

07-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

track pads only - please recommend

hi folks,
posted originally on the UK thread first, was recommended some performance Pagids and others but wondering what you guys think - seems to be a lot more US folk tracking their cars.

i have an f32 440i - have no intention of time trailing it every lap - i'm taking it for its first track day as i've bought a new set of tyres and want to give the old ones a send-off.

i want to explore the cars handling more than anything so not fussed about Amazing brake performance - however, i would like some dedicated track pads that i can swap over for the day, then swap back to my old pads for road use (which is slow and steady most of the time).

can you guys recommend any low to mid range track pads please? I've found it difficult to google for pads which will fit my car, pad shape 1609, S2NH, especially UK sellers.
(i have the blue caliper M performance brakes)

should i bother upgrading the brake lines too?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Stainless brake lines aren't required. I run with just the stock ones.

I've tried Pagid RSL29 "yellows" and PFC08s with my M-Sport brake kit (same blue calipers as yours). Both are endurance compounds that will last a while and not be too tough on rotors. I like the PFC08s more. They bite sooner, but the downside is you need to have much more finesse in your pedal modulation or you might over brake/get into ABS.

PFC08 PNs:

Pagid RSL29 PNs:

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
hi folks,
posted originally on the UK thread first, was recommended some performance Pagids and others but wondering what you guys think - seems to be a lot more US folk tracking their cars.

i have an f32 440i - have no intention of time trailing it every lap - i'm taking it for its first track day as i've bought a new set of tyres and want to give the old ones a send-off.

i want to explore the cars handling more than anything so not fussed about Amazing brake performance - however, i would like some dedicated track pads that i can swap over for the day, then swap back to my old pads for road use (which is slow and steady most of the time).

can you guys recommend any low to mid range track pads please? I've found it difficult to google for pads which will fit my car, pad shape 1609, S2NH, especially UK sellers.
(i have the blue caliper M performance brakes)

should i bother upgrading the brake lines too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

I've tried Pagid RSL29 "yellows" and PFC08s with my M-Sport brake kit (same blue calipers as yours). Both are endurance compounds that will last a while and not be too tough on rotors. I like the PFC08s more. They bite sooner, but the downside is you need to have much more finesse in your pedal modulation or you might over brake/get into ABS.

PFC08 PNs:

Pagid RSL29 PNs:
If you're running in the beginner/novice run group and you do not have any significant power modifications, the stock F80/82 M3/M4 brake pads will be more than sufficient for your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

PFC08 PNs:

Pagid RSL29 PNs:
excellent, thanks
gosh darn i didn't realise how expensive some track pads would be - the PFC08's seem to be around 300$!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Apex Performance has the best price on PFC08s. Not sure what shipping is like to the UK though. Track pads aren't cheap that's for sure.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I wouldn't trust OEM pads personally. You'll get faster and faster, and the last thing you want is something like brakes to hold you back when you least expect it.

I tried Hawk HPS and they did ok, but began to overheat. Upgraded to HP+ and they hold much better, but definitely swap back to OEM when you're done. They are very noisy and produce a lot of dust.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Not only driver experience and style, but tire compound has a big impact on the brakes. The more sticky the tire, the more heat is generated during braking. If you plan on sticking to street tires (PS4S etc.) you won't need something with as much heat resistance as with 200 tread wear tires.
If you think PFC and such are a little expensive, give Hawk a try. They're not as costly and work very well. I use them and like them. Their DTC30 compound has good torque and modulation to me and hold up to my Re71R tires. If you're tires are street tires, then the HP+, mentioned previously, may be good enough. I don't have personal experience with them, but there's plenty of people who have.
But don't forget the brake fluid. I boiled mine first time out on the track ever and I thought it was good enough before. My advice, if you're going to be tracking a few times a year, go straight to RBF 660 or Castrol SRF. You just need to bleed them a couple times a year and maybe a flush once. Easy enough to do at the start and end of the season. If you're not tracking again or maybe just once, RBG 600 is enough and will only need bleeding/flushing once a year depending on your driving style. I have to bleed mine several times a year.
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
cfm56d7b5886.00
      07-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I like the R4.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Not only driver experience and style, but tire compound has a big impact on the brakes. The more sticky the tire, the more heat is generated during braking. If you plan on sticking to street tires (PS4S etc.) you won't need something with as much heat resistance as with 200 tread wear tires.
If you think PFC and such are a little expensive, give Hawk a try. They're not as costly and work very well. I use them and like them. Their DTC30 compound has good torque and modulation to me and hold up to my Re71R tires. If you're tires are street tires, then the HP+, mentioned previously, may be good enough. I don't have personal experience with them, but there's plenty of people who have.
But don't forget the brake fluid. I boiled mine first time out on the track ever and I thought it was good enough before. My advice, if you're going to be tracking a few times a year, go straight to RBF 660 or Castrol SRF. You just need to bleed them a couple times a year and maybe a flush once. Easy enough to do at the start and end of the season. If you're not tracking again or maybe just once, RBG 600 is enough and will only need bleeding/flushing once a year depending on your driving style. I have to bleed mine several times a year.
I went with HP+ on 200tw tires. I had HPS my first event and by the end of the first day they weren't keeping up. My friend had DTCs but he also ran a full slick and commented that they eat rotors really fast. Great for performance but not a setup that you plan on reusing your rotors with stock pads after the weekend is over.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #10
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I went with HP+ on 200tw tires. I had HPS my first event and by the end of the first day they weren't keeping up. My friend had DTCs but he also ran a full slick and commented that they eat rotors really fast. Great for performance but not a setup that you plan on reusing your rotors with stock pads after the weekend is over.
I'm curious, which compound did he use? DTC30 is the one of the least aggressive of Hawk's race compounds. They even work when cold. Most likely anything DTC60 and above is overkill for 200tw tires and street tires. Slicks, yes.
So far the DTC30/Streeet Race compound has been fine on my rotors. 6 track days and a bunch of street driving and little to no appreciable wear. I do have the cryo treated Stoptech sport rotors though. They're supposed to be a little more resistant to track abuse.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      07-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #11
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
I'm curious, which compound did he use? DTC30 is the one of the least aggressive of Hawk's race compounds. They even work when cold. Most likely anything DTC60 and above is overkill for 200tw tires and street tires. Slicks, yes.
So far the DTC30/Streeet Race compound has been fine on my rotors. 6 track days and a bunch of street driving and little to no appreciable wear. I do have the cryo treated Stoptech sport rotors though. They're supposed to be a little more resistant to track abuse.
Yeah he had 70s.
Appreciate 1
skier_du147.50