F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Just changed oil: potentially stripped plug
Extreme Powerhouse

03-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #23
CarlosC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
This Don't get discouraged. This is how we all learn
I'm pretty sure I did the same thing the first time I changed the oil on mine. I left it on there and it didn't leak at all, so no issues. I just replaced it with the next oil change and made sure I was a bit easier with the torque wrench.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #24
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Did you use a new plug? The correct OEM grade oil filter comes with a new plug, as once removed they should not be used again.
I am using the Mann filters and they have never come with an oil pan plug. You got a link to a Mann part number with a drain plug included? I have been using the ECStuning plug with a magnetic tip.

Edit I see this is about the 328 variants nevermind.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #25
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Do I need the plug seal

I am changing the oil (breakin in oil change) on my 2019 F32 430i xdrive coupe.
The oil pan has a brass insert for the drain plug.

Do I need to use the copper drain plug seal that came with my OEM filter. I did not find a seal when I removed the plug.

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #26
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

XDrive cars have a metal pan, which uses a metal plug, and a one-time use washer. If there's no washer on your plug it's because the last person to change your oil screwed up.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #27
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
First oil change after factory fill

This is the first oil change since the factory fill as the vehicle has 1225 miles on it. This is the breakin in oil change.

Is it OK to use the seal even though the factory did not install one?

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #28
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Unless the B48 is different from the N20 I'd use the seal.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #29
2000Z3M
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
I am changing the oil (breakin in oil change) on my 2019 F32 430i xdrive coupe.
The oil pan has a brass insert for the drain plug.

Do I need to use the copper drain plug seal that came with my OEM filter. I did not find a seal when I removed the plug.

Thanks

Wallyf
why? its free at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #30
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyF View Post
This is the first oil change since the factory fill as the vehicle has 1225 miles on it. This is the breakin in oil change.

Is it OK to use the seal even though the factory did not install one?

Wallyf
Are you sure the old crush washer isn't stuck to the pan? It was when I did mine last weekend. New crush washer came with new oil filter.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #31
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I get my filter kits from the dealer and after the BMWCCA discount they offer it's less than $15 with all the correct seals and washers. The plug on the RWD N20 is softer than then composite pan so the plug will strip before the pan will for this specific reason. Don't worry about it. Just make sure to use a new plug every time. if you try and resuse an old one it will eventually leak because the o-ring will get hard and won't seal properly. I know because I learned the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #32
AngelFarelli
Second Lieutenant
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: BMW n52 e90

Oil pan is aluminum and bolt is steal on 335i f30
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #33
Juan Verduzco
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
I get my filter kits from the dealer and after the BMWCCA discount they offer it's less than $15 with all the correct seals and washers. The plug on the RWD N20 is softer than then composite pan so the plug will strip before the pan will for this specific reason. Don't worry about it. Just make sure to use a new plug every time. if you try and resuse an old one it will eventually leak because the o-ring will get hard and won't seal properly. I know because I learned the hard way.
I'm pretty worried about mine.
Didn't know I needed to replace the cap with a new one (wasn't included on my new filter kit), then I used the one that was originally placed on the pan, set my torque wrench to 8Nm but it kept going, then I quit turning it but I was afraid I over tighten it. Then I started the car to operating temp, no leaks. BUT checked the next morning and it was leaking :/.

Currently waiting for the replacement of the plug, I really hope it is the issue. Any advise if it turns it was stripped?

Really appreciate your comments
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #34
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Verduzco View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty worried about mine.
Didn't know I needed to replace the cap with a new one (wasn't included on my new filter kit), then I used the one that was originally placed on the pan, set my torque wrench to 8Nm but it kept going, then I quit turning it but I was afraid I over tighten it. Then I started the car to operating temp, no leaks. BUT checked the next morning and it was leaking :/.

Currently waiting for the replacement of the plug, I really hope it is the issue. Any advise if it turns it was stripped?

Really appreciate your comments
The plug material is softer than the composite oil pan. I don't think you damaged the pan. I had to reuse the plastic plug once because the oil filter I bought was the wrong one. It leaked the next day as well. OEM is the way to go if you don't have xDrive and have the 17mm metal plug.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #35
Juan Verduzco
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
The plug material is softer than the composite oil pan. I don't think you damaged the pan. I had to reuse the plastic plug once because the oil filter I bought was the wrong one. It leaked the next day as well. OEM is the way to go if you don't have xDrive and have the 17mm metal plug.
Thanks for the reply

I've just received the new one from Mexican web-store as we're not allowed to cross the border due to Corona. Waited few days for the shipment to arrive. Seems I don't have the issue anymore, lessons learned experience.
Appreciate 1