F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > A/C Leaking into cabin
GetBMWParts

07-01-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
pcking
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i xDrive

A/C Leaking into cabin

So, I thought I might have the dreaded door leak or other issue, but I have found that my A/C unit is leaking water back into the cabin.

Funny part is that when it is in re-circ, I see water dripping from the trans tunnel (under the car) and no water appears to get into the cabin.

But when I have the A/C on and venting from outside, water collects quickly and leaks inside the cabin.

Getting the center console out of the car so you can actually see the bottom of the HVAC box is quite a treat. Even after pulling all that out, I cannot see a damn thing.

Also, I read somewhere that there are TWO drain ports for the A/C system, but all I can see is a small port or tube in the trans tunnel.

1. HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS BEFORE

2. ANYONE GOT A PICTURE OF WHAT THE DRAIN PORT LOOKS LIKE?

Thanks in advance!
Mods: Stoptech Sport Brakes, Injen Intake, BMS Catch Can, AFE Downpipe & 328i Sport Exhaust, Evolution Raceworks Chargepipes, VRSF intercooler, AFE tBody Spacer, MHI Big Turbo, BM3 Stage 2 93 Octane tune, Bilstein B8 Sport+ dampers, Dinan Perf Spring Set & Camber Plates

Last edited by pcking; 07-03-2019 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
pcking
Private
United_States
Rep

I bought a can of that evap cleaner in the hopes that I can flush out whatever might be blocking the drain.

Also grabbed a Milwaukee Flex Inspection Scope, so I can see if I can 'look' around in there and see if I can find anything suspicious.

Not really an A/C tech - usually I rip it out of cars to make room for the cage!!!

So I am _TOTALLY_ open to any/all suggestions. ;-)
Mods: Stoptech Sport Brakes, Injen Intake, BMS Catch Can, AFE Downpipe & 328i Sport Exhaust, Evolution Raceworks Chargepipes, VRSF intercooler, AFE tBody Spacer, MHI Big Turbo, BM3 Stage 2 93 Octane tune, Bilstein B8 Sport+ dampers, Dinan Perf Spring Set & Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Identifying the drip tube in the transmission tunnel is easy, run the car with the AC on for a few minutes and water will drip out of it. The place to view it is from under the car, with the under body protection panel removed. If you don't see any dripping that would explain the water in the cabin. I don't see why vented versus recirculate would make any difference.
Appreciate 1
pcking87.50
      07-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Air in the cabin is likely drier than outside air. This is why you see the water dripping in the cabin when A/C is getting outside air if you have a restriction in the evaporator drain. You can try blowing air in the drain tube under the car to clear the restriction.
Appreciate 2
vtown99.00
pcking87.50
      07-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

The tube is on the right side of the transmission, right around where the transmission oil filler is. It has a flap to prevent stuff going in, it would be very unusual for it to clog up, with all the covers and things.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
pcking87.50
      07-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
pcking
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your replies - I'm planning on getting back under the car tomorrow and will see if I can flush out the port. The fact that is has a flap is cool and all, but its kinda hard to see if anything is stuck in there.

When I run the A/C in MAX mode, water drips from under the car as expected.

Only when I run the AC with Re-Circ off does it leak into the car. To the earlier point, if the outside air is more humid, maybe the drain is partly clogged and therefore the higher humidity air generates more condensation and perhaps it overwhelms the drain which might be partly clogged.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #7
CrumbyButter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

The official BMW method for cleaning the AC evap and drain is from the inside, you have to remove the panel under the glove box and the cabin filter. You can then snake an AC cleaning tube up and around the bend. You will see the foam coming out the drain tube below the car. Just make sure you have something to catch the excess foam that will backup into the interior and onto your passenger side floor. Be sure to close all vents and put it in recirc mode.

Not sure this will help if its the drain tube is super badly clogged.
Appreciate 2
eluded3005.00
pcking87.50
      07-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Seeing the other AC thread sparked this thought...
I think your evaporator core is freezing up, at least partially, and blocking the drains. It matches with it doing it in recirc only.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
pcking87.50
      07-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
pcking
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Seeing the other AC thread sparked this thought...
I think your evaporator core is freezing up, at least partially, and blocking the drains. It matches with it doing it in recirc only.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=998638
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1284006

Interesting - I'm going to investigate this further. Thanks for the pointer.

Last edited by pcking; 07-05-2019 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 04:04 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcking View Post
Only when I run the AC with Re-Circ off does it leak into the car. To the earlier point, if the outside air is more humid, maybe the drain is partly clogged and therefore the higher humidity air generates more condensation and perhaps it overwhelms the drain which might be partly clogged.
That's where my mind is going, could fit your experience.

I'd be searching out the drain tube and make sure it's running free.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 07:21 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrumbyButter View Post
The official BMW method for cleaning the AC evap and drain is from the inside
True, but it's a bizarre choice. There are quite a few threads about stinky AC, and how the best fix is to inject coil cleaner up through the drain tube. It does the job very well, mine has remained stink free for over a year now. It's a PITA because you have to drop the under body shield to get at it, but it's far easier than what it takes to do it from inside the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:20 AM   #12
pcking
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
True, but it's a bizarre choice. There are quite a few threads about stinky AC, and how the best fix is to inject coil cleaner up through the drain tube. It does the job very well, mine has remained stink free for over a year now. It's a PITA because you have to drop the under body shield to get at it, but it's far easier than what it takes to do it from inside the car.
Well for what its worth, I have all the covers off and the console in a million pieces trying to find the leak. By comparison, I sorta wish it was just a PITA... this has turned full CLUSTER!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Well for what its worth, I have all the covers off and the console in a million pieces trying to find the leak. By comparison, I sorta wish it was just a PITA... this has turned full CLUSTER!!!
Did you take your entire dashboard out?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
pcking
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Did you take your entire dashboard our?
That might be next. I was away last week so I still need to get back to this project. Driving around on 90 degree days with no AC sux!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #15
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That might be next. I was away last week so I still need to get back to this project. Driving around on 90 degree days with no AC sux!!!
Your post above sounds as you had already done this.

The center console is a walk in the park compared to the dashboard. Not something I'd recommend to 99.9% of the population.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Your post above sounds as you had already done this.

The center console is a walk in the park compared to the dashboard. Not something I'd recommend to 99.9% of owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #17
pcking
Private
United_States
Rep

Sorry to have left this for so long, but I had a PC failure.

I was able to fix this by using a can of evap cleaner up the drain tube opening. As it turns out, the hose/falp was basically glues shut by the dirt that has collected in there.

After prying it open (and getting lots of dirt in my eyes) and then using the cleaning kit, the issues is gone and the AC even smells nice too.

And now, I had not removed the dash, but did yank the console. While not that much of a PiA to re-install, I realize now that it did nothing to help me find/fix the leak. In the end, just a simple clogged drain tube.
Appreciate 0