F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Sport+ for Trackday?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #45
reyoasian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340xi MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Holding DSC to turn it off completely will override the throttle mapping from switching modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Exactly, with everything off (in my car at least) you get Sport steering and Comfort throttle. You can just skip putting it into Sport and press the DSC button for 7 seconds.

I wish I could program it to be like that all the time, really not a fan of sport throttle.
Got it, so no need to change drive mode, I can directly hold DSC off without being in Sport or Sport+.
Good to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #46
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post
Got it, so no need to change drive mode, I can directly hold DSC off without being in Sport or Sport+.
Good to know!
Yes, but keep in mind, without an LSD you will shred your inside tire if you really push the car. With DSC off. Im on Ohlins coilovers and before the LSD I would smoke the inside tire on long sweeping turns.
      05-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #47
reyoasian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Yes, but keep in mind, without an LSD you will shred your inside tire if you really push the car. With DSC off. Im on Ohlins coilovers and before the LSD I would smoke the inside tire on long sweeping turns.
DSC fully off will disable the rear braking in corners? (fake torque vectoring).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #48
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
DSC fully off will disable the rear braking in corners? (fake torque vectoring).
In full off the eLSD activates so even then your rear brakes are being used.

Only way to stop it is to code off eLSD.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:15 PM   #49
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Im not sure tbh, Im just saying what happens. I wasnt able to do it at first, but as I learned the car better I couldn't drive it at the limit without ruining tires.
      05-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #50
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Im not sure tbh, Im just saying what happens. I wasnt able to do it at first, but as I learned the car better I couldn't drive it at the limit without ruining tires.
eLSD (where ABS is used to mitigate tires rotating at different speeds) only comes on in DSC-off mode. I have a mechanical LSD and have eLSD coded out, as I've never been impressed with how it works, and found it to be more of a nuisance than anything else.

In Sport+ the stability control parameters are significantly reduced; with a mechanical LSD, I almost never feel it intervene, even on track.
      05-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #51
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
eLSD (where ABS is used to mitigate tires rotating at different speeds) only comes on in DSC-off mode. I have a mechanical LSD and have eLSD coded out, as I've never been impressed with how it works, and found it to be more of a nuisance than anything else.

In Sport+ the stability control parameters are significantly reduced; with a mechanical LSD, I almost never feel it intervene, even on track.
Which LSD do you have? Are you able to feel a marked difference/improvement even with all the "nannies" on like in Comfort, Sport modes?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #52
reyoasian
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:

DSC off as in fully off, or SPORT+ also counts?

Last edited by reyoasian; 07-20-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #53
Brady154
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

My 2 cents. I've experimented with both Sport+ and DSC off. In Sport+, I feel traction control kicking in and hurting my drive off some corners, which is why I tried DSC off. With DSC off, my rear tires were just spinning more off the corners, so that didn't improve my drive either. My lap times between the two were about the same, so now I just keep it in Sport+ mode for that added bit of spin protection. Maybe that will change the more track driving I do though.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #54
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady154 View Post
With DSC off, my rear tires were just spinning more off the corners, so that didn't improve my drive either. My lap times between the two were about the same, so now I just keep it in Sport+ mode for that added bit of spin protection. Maybe that will change the more track driving I do though.
I found that as I gain more and more experience, my lap times improved with DSC completely off. DSC will act as a "coach" so long as you are paying attention to that yellow light. If you see that light flash as you come out of a turn and add throttle, then you know you are either applying too soon or too much. However, it's easy to rely too much on DSC to save you and instill bad habits if you are blinking constantly. Try turning it off, since you are getting the same times, then you won't lose anything. You will learn more about your car and you will get faster and faster knowing how to modulate the throttle and manage your rear traction. Added bonus: even if you lose a bit of traction, you can be on the throttle a bit sooner since DSC won't be too aggressive: sometimes you want a small amount of slip. This is one thing the non-M F30's need: M Dynamic Mode to allow for more slip while still being there for extreme circumstances where you have violated the laws of physics.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
exE36M3486.00
      08-21-2019, 11:00 AM   #55
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DSG off as in fully off, or SPORT+ also counts?
eLSD only comes on with DSC fully off; Sport+ has reduced thresholds, but no eLSD.
      08-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #56
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
For a while now I've been saying that Sport+ is awesome, as it never seems to intervene even when driving at (or slightly past) the limit.

Well, I learned something recently when working with a tuner... long story short, back in 2016 when I had my eLSD coded out, the coder apparently coded out all stability control in Sport+. So all this time running in Sport+, I had no stability control at all active... which of course explains why I never felt it intervene : )

Oh, and along with killing Sport+ DSC, they also disabled ABS. Which makes sense thinking back to the occasional brief lock up on track over the years. (Nothing dramatic, as I was always able to manage it... but I always wondered how I occasionally overcame ABS when threshold braking!)

So I guess I have no idea how invasive Sport+ DSC might be...all this time I thought it was great because it seemed to be sophisticated enough to let me drive at the limit and leave me alone when I didn't need it!

Last edited by DVC; 08-21-2019 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #57
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
For a while now I've been saying that Sport+ is awesome, as it never seems to intervene even when driving at (or slightly past) the limit.

Well, I learned something recently when working with a tuner... long story short, back in 2016 when I had my eLSD coded out, the coder apparently coded out all stability control in Sport+. So all this time running in Sport+, I had no stability control at all active... which of course explains why I never felt it intervene : )

Oh, and along with killing Sport+ DSC, they also disabled ABS. Which makes sense thinking back to the occasional brief lock up on track over the years. (Nothing dramatic, as I was always able to manage it... but I always wondered how I occasionally overcame ABS when threshold braking!)

So I guess I have no idea how invasive Sport+ DSC might be...all this time I thought it was great because it seemed to be sophisticated enough to let me drive at the limit and leave me alone when I didn't need it!
That's kinda funny but also interesting. Are you going to fix the ABS or do you just like having your car act like a proper, old school race car? 😁 i've been running DAC off since my first track day. Definitely the way to go. Couple times I didn't hold the DAC off button long enough and I could tell the car didn't feel right. Shut it off and I had control back. If you drove anywhere near the limits of adhesion, it will cut into II ur fun. I've been wondering lately how I can have Dynamic Stability Control off and have everything else set to Sport+ on the track. Any idea how hard it is to code out, or even how to go about coding out DSC in Sport+?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #58
JMK007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 M Sport, RWD

Quote:

I recently installed an MPerf LSD. If I full disable DSC, will I be full mechanical LSD or will I have the eLSD intervening? If so, running in Sport + would mean no eLSD but nanny intervention considerably well past the limit, right?
Midwestern Council TT Champion, BS, ‘17 BRZ, ‘19

Last edited by JMK007; 08-22-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #59
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK007 View Post
Quote:

I recently installed an MPerf LSD. If I full disable DSC, will I be full mechanical LSD or will I have the eLSD intervening? If so, running in Sport + would mean no eLSD but nanny intervention considerably well past the limit, right?
With a mechanical lsd you'll never get enough slip back there for "eLSD" to trigger. It's really just the car applying ABS to one side to mimic a mechanical lsd.

Max slip with the Mp LSD is ~30%, so eLSD would trigger somewhere above that as no coding is needed to go to the Mp LSD.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #60
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I always ran in Sport +, I do not care for the throttle mapping in sport/sport+ it's not linear and hard to modulate (I have a tune and PS2 so maybe it's that). The last event I did I turned off DSC and it seems to help the throttle mapping be a bit more linear. As for tire pressures I have RE-71R square setup and 36 PSI hot seemed to be the best for me so far.
I ran with Sport+ on at Road Atlanta this weekend, first time at the track and didn't know it so well. I think I will continue to leave it on in the future as I have worked on my throttle control with the sport+ mapping. The technology is much improved over older version in BMW. I didn't realize it until I got an E90 335d. The F30 version of sport+ is LIGHT years better. I will probably continue to leave it on for the safety margin. I did feel it kick in once downhill between 11-12, and it's so subtle you hardly notice it, just a lack of acceleration really, but it doesn't lower/cut the power, it's like auto maintenance throttle. Wouldn't let me add any more at a certain point.
Appreciate 2