F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Mains water filters
Studio RSR

04-19-2019, 04:36 AM   #23
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
We have a water filter on the water supply pipe and a separate (hard water) feed to a filtered water tap in the kitchen purely for drinking.

Softened water makes a big difference for bathing/showering/laundry/etc; much less cleaning products required : soap, shower gel, washing powder (50%), fabric conditioner (50%), dishwasher salt (zero), no bath 'ring' to be cleaned, taps and shower heads don't have any limescale build-up, and good for washing the car (far fewer water streaks, but I still dry it with a microfibre).

My eldest daughter was born before we had the house 'done' and the water softener was fitted - she used to get dry skin and eczema as a baby/toddler, but this has disappeared. It could be an age thing, could be purely coincidental, but neither of our other two younger children have had any eczema.

We have this unit :

https://www.kinetico.co.uk/products/...s/premier-maxi

It's been faultless for the 9 years that we've had it. No servicing; uses about 100kg of salt per year for our family of 5.
Starting to think about getting one of these...terrible hard water here.

Quick question...

Do you get any drop in water pressure through having a softener fitted? We have a boiler system that gives main pressure hot water at all taps and loath to see that reduced.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 05:07 AM   #24
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Quick question...

Do you get any drop in water pressure through having a softener fitted? We have a boiler system that gives main pressure hot water at all taps and loath to see that reduced.
We’ve had no change at all with our Harvey.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #25
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
We have a water filter on the water supply pipe and a separate (hard water) feed to a filtered water tap in the kitchen purely for drinking.

Softened water makes a big difference for bathing/showering/laundry/etc; much less cleaning products required : soap, shower gel, washing powder (50%), fabric conditioner (50%), dishwasher salt (zero), no bath 'ring' to be cleaned, taps and shower heads don't have any limescale build-up, and good for washing the car (far fewer water streaks, but I still dry it with a microfibre).

My eldest daughter was born before we had the house 'done' and the water softener was fitted - she used to get dry skin and eczema as a baby/toddler, but this has disappeared. It could be an age thing, could be purely coincidental, but neither of our other two younger children have had any eczema.

We have this unit :

https://www.kinetico.co.uk/products/...s/premier-maxi

It's been faultless for the 9 years that we've had it. No servicing; uses about 100kg of salt per year for our family of 5.

Quick question...

No pressure drop or flow but we do have a 32mm supply pipe to the house and 4Bar incoming pressure.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 07:40 AM   #26
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
We’ve had no change at all with our Harvey.
Same here - not noticed any downside with the Harvey
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #27
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

OP - did you go ahead with a softener and which make if you did?

We've come on holiday and our skin issues have gone away, which shows how c*** our water is at home. Needing to sort a softener out on our return.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #28
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
OP - did you go ahead with a softener and which make if you did?

We've come on holiday and our skin issues have gone away, which shows how c*** our water is at home. Needing to sort a softener out on our return.
Defo get one. A brilliant piece of kit. I installed one when we had a new bathroom and en suite fitted a year back..post #10. Previously the shower screens would be a mess and shower heads getting blocked every few months with limescale. Absolutely nothing now, silky smooth water with just a quick wipe down it all looks brand new.

Less shower gel , shampoo etc, skin better absolutely spot on.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #29
PerPerez
Registered
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Why not get a water softener? We did and really helped my wife’s skin irritations from the super hard water our way....
Yes, I also recommend using a water softener such as the Aquasana Water Filter. It removes chlorine and is suitable for people who are sensitive to water quality. It is a whole house water softener and it is salt-free.
Appreciate 0