F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Question about stopping distances on motorway...
proTUNING Freaks

08-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #23
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
The other thing to bear in mind is that those stopping distance hark back to the model T ford.
I remember some article ages ago that had a 911 do the 70-0mph brake test in around 90 feet or something similarly ridiculous. The 315ft needs updating for modern cars...
The thinking time aspect will never change however...

Drive like you cannot trust those around you to do the right thing at all times, and generally you will not be disappointed.
Yes it does and modern cars can and do stop well within that distance, however read my bit about hitting a Mercedes in post above.

Now imagine that Porsche driver with son / daughter in the car standing on his brakes and stopping very quickly... what about the HGV behind him with a very heavy load....

I bet that when the HGV hits the Porsche he had used some of that gap in front of him...l

Just because your car can stop really quickly and the driver has lightening reflexes does not mean they should stop extremely quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #24
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Quote:
The other thing to bear in mind is that those stopping distance hark back to the model T ford.
I remember some article ages ago that had a 911 do the 70-0mph brake test in around 90 feet or something similarly ridiculous. The 315ft needs updating for modern cars...
The thinking time aspect will never change however...

Drive like you cannot trust those around you to do the right thing at all times, and generally you will not be disappointed.
Yes it does and modern cars can and do stop well within that distance, however read my bit about hitting a Mercedes in post above.

Now imagine that Porsche driver with son / daughter in the car standing on his brakes and stopping very quickly... what about the HGV behind him with a very heavy load....

I bet that when the HGV hits the Porsche he had used some of that gap in front of him...l

Just because your car can stop really quickly and the driver has lightening reflexes does not mean they should stop extremely quickly.
I've had this effect before, when I've had to emergency brake, then looking in the mirror had to come off the brake for a moment so to not get rear ended by someone not so "on it"...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I've had this effect before, when I've had to emergency brake, then looking in the mirror had to come off the brake for a moment so to not get rear ended by someone not so "on it"...
Even trickier in winter conditions, (even at slow speeds) when you are on winter tyres and the guy behind clearly isn't.
Appreciate 0