F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Adaptive headlight malfunction after adjusting height with screw
Extreme Powerhouse

10-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
onix45
Rep
Drives: 435i

Adaptive headlight malfunction after adjusting height with screw

Hello,

I have a 2014 F36 with adaptive led headlights
Last night after i came home i decided to try and aim my right low beam a bit higher, and i tried turning the screw on the headlight about 1 turn counter clockwise. I did this while the engine was off and ignition on, with the light switch tuned to adaptive position. Then i turned the ignition off, locked the car and left. Since my car was parked in a parking lot in front of other cars, i did not see whether turning the screw counter clockwise lowered or lifter the beam, so after a bit of googling i read that turning the screw clockwise raises the beam. So i went back to my car, opened the hood and with the car completely off i turned the screw clockwise a total of 2 full turns and then i locked the car and left, thinking that i will see what happened today.

So today when i started the car i got 3 errors:
Adaptive headlight malfunction
Lighting system: Front right malfunction
Headlamp vertical aim control malfunction

My right angel eyes coronas are not working, as well as the right turn signal. Low beam is working, but both headlights are not turning anymore, they just stay still.

Now i read that supposedly you should do this adjustment with the light switch in the full on position (non-adaptive). So i am thinking that by doing this adjustment with the car off i somehow messed up the calibration?
Or is it something else?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by onix45 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2014 F36 with adaptive led headlights
Last night after i came home i decided to try and aim my right low beam a bit higher, and i tried turning the screw on the headlight about 1 turn counter clockwise. I did this while the engine was off and ignition on, with the light switch tuned to adaptive position. Then i turned the ignition off, locked the car and left. Since my car was parked in a parking lot in front of other cars, i did not see whether turning the screw counter clockwise lowered or lifter the beam, so after a bit of googling i read that turning the screw clockwise raises the beam. So i went back to my car, opened the hood and with the car completely off i turned the screw clockwise a total of 2 full turns and then i locked the car and left, thinking that i will see what happened today.

So today when i started the car i got 3 errors:
Adaptive headlight malfunction
Lighting system: Front right malfunction
Headlamp vertical aim control malfunction

My right angel eyes coronas are not working, as well as the right turn signal. Low beam is working, but both headlights are not turning anymore, they just stay still.

Now i read that supposedly you should do this adjustment with the light switch in the full on position (non-adaptive). So i am thinking that by doing this adjustment with the car off i somehow messed up the calibration?
Or is it something else?
Do you have ISTA+? If so, run ISTA+ to determine/lead you through the process to correcting the errors.

I suspect you may be right re calibration and you will have to teach-in the adaptive headlights again.

A bit of a long-shot... with the vehicle off, adjust the headlight back to the original height and disconnect/reconnect the battery to see if it clears the errors.

Larry
      10-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
onix45
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylam646 View Post
Do you have ISTA+? If so, run ISTA+ to determine/lead you through the process to correcting the errors.

I suspect you may be right re calibration and you will have to teach-in the adaptive headlights again.

A bit of a long-shot... with the vehicle off, adjust the headlight back to the original height and disconnect/reconnect the battery to see if it clears the errors.

Larry
I myself don't have ISTA, but i will be meeting with a person who does shortly. Will try to install and make ista work on my laptop today aswel.
Appreciate 0