F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Really Interested in a B58
proTUNING Freaks

10-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Charger

Really Interested in a B58

Looking into getting a 340 to slightly mod into the perfect quick daily. Just not sure if I should go rwd or awd? Is there a limiting factor when tuned and bolt ons with either drivetrain?
Also most likely will be going auto so the fiancé could still use my car.

Lastly I had mostly been researching N55s and N63tu but felt like if choosing bmw the 340 was best bang for buck for dailying/reliability/power per dollar modding potential. So what are the recommended or go to mods? Would like to be able to beat a stock scatpack for a benchmark comparison.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGearhead View Post
Looking into getting a 340 to slightly mod into the perfect quick daily. Just not sure if I should go rwd or awd? Is there a limiting factor when tuned and bolt ons with either drivetrain?

Lastly I had mostly been researching N55s and N63tu but felt like if choosing bmw the 340 was best bang for buck for dailying/reliability/power per dollar modding potential. So what are the recommended or go to mods? Would like to be able to beat a stock scatpack for a benchmark comparison.

Thanks in advance
Seems you're here for a lot of the same reasons I bought a 340i. I think AWD vs RWD really comes down to location and preference. I wanted XDrive for a few different reasons you can research the benefits on with the majority of it leaning towards the fact that we get a ton of snow here and I never want to own another RWD car with snow.

Recommended go to performance mods are as follows:
1- Bootmod3 Stage 1 - This should be your first mod since it will net you the best hp/tq for your dollar. (there are other tuning companies. this was just my preference)
2- Catted (or Catless) downpipe followed by Stage 2 map. I didn't want to deal with the extra fumes so I went with a catted DP.
Mods 3,4,5 are all personal preference on how far you want to take the car, I'll probably end at Stage 2 for performance mods unless I grab some dinan springs/bumpstops and shockware to help get rid of body roll.

Upgraded Intake, Exhaust won't really net you anything aside from sound increase.

Outside of this there's so many cosmetic things you can do to the car to make it look great.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
AlphaGearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dodge Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahanix View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance
Seems you're here for a lot of the same reasons I bought a 340i. I think AWD vs RWD really comes down to location and preference. I wanted XDrive for a few different reasons you can research the benefits on with the majority of it leaning towards the fact that we get a ton of snow here and I never want to own another RWD car with snow.

Recommended go to performance mods are as follows:
1- Bootmod3 Stage 1 - This should be your first mod since it will net you the best hp/tq for your dollar. (there are other tuning companies. this was just my preference)
2- Catted (or Catless) downpipe followed by Stage 2 map. I didn't want to deal with the extra fumes so I went with a catted DP.
Mods 3,4,5 are all personal preference on how far you want to take the car, I'll probably end at Stage 2 for performance mods unless I grab some dinan springs/bumpstops and shockware to help get rid of body roll.

Upgraded Intake, Exhaust won't really net you anything aside from sound increase.

Outside of this there's so many cosmetic things you can do to the car to make it look great.
Well I actually live in Miami,Fl so I was just asking if the awd can hold the same power as rwd or vice versa. Plus the awds seem to be more available.

Also is ~$3k more worth going for the m sport with similar miles?

How noticeable is the BM3 and DP gains over stock compared to another car by any chance if you've gotten to run one.

I honestly was thinking tune DP enclosed Intake for noise and some wheels and tires
Dont want to go too crazy for the daily
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Well I actually live in Miami,Fl so I was just asking if the awd can hold the same power as rwd or vice versa. Plus the awds seem to be more available.

Also is ~$3k more worth going for the m sport with similar miles?

How noticeable is the BM3 and DP gains over stock compared to another car by any chance if you've gotten to run one.

I honestly was thinking tune DP enclosed Intake for noise and some wheels and tires
Dont want to go too crazy for the daily
What you're looking at will be perfect for a daily. I can't comment on how you'll hold up to other cars, since I haven't really run this against anything, I don't think you'll have an issue with a scat pack like you had put on your initial post.

M Sport package won't give you anything else from a performance perspective, but gives you quite a bit of exterior styling differentiation, as well as some additional interior bells and whistles (Upgraded steering wheel, upgraded trim) (unless of course you are looking at one with Track Handling Package which gives you upgraded suspension and brakes)

I'd strongly recommend looking for one with the following

M Sport Package
Track Handling Package
Technology Package
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks in advance
You already received some excellent advice. Below is my two cents based on your stated requirements. I have a 335ix that's modified very much like you are imagining for a 340. And I've been investigating the B58.

RWD vs AWD- Snow isn't a factor for you and what you have already heard is that mods/power aren't a factor.

Xdrive gives you an AWD system that is oriented towards RWD so it will feel very good to you. (Not going to feel like a VW system that's oriented toward FWD) In daily driving you, and your fiancé, will notice that it feels much safer and under control when driving in those South Florida torrential downpours. You will really notice it off the line when lights turn green. Xdrive can really put the power to the pavement and get off the line better than RWD. That difference is really amplified as you increase the power with your mods. I've done a lot of Florida driving and I really believe that Xdrive is better under those conditions.

BootMod3 Stage2 is absolutely the tune to install along with the required High flow DP. It's awesome smooth power along with a great automatic transmission tune.

Fabspeed HJS Catted DP is absolutely the best. Fabspeed is the sole distributor of HJS cats in North America. My catted Fabspeed tested on their dyno at 93% of the power of their completely catless pipe. Plus no emissions issues, no CELs and no gasoline smell!

Tires are the other issue for safety, handling and ride. Your location means that you can get rid of runflats and run summer tires all year round. Assuming that your roads are in great shape and not potholed like ours up north, you can go with say a 19" wheel if you like where I would be foolish to go over 18".

Go wider than stock with your tires for better handling. There are various prescribed sizes of wheel offsets & widths as well as tire width & sidewall heights for each wheel size. I kept my stock 18" x 8.0" BMW wheels so I didn't have to worry about wheel offsets. My stock runflats were 225/45-18. I switched to the best handling tire size which is 245/40-18. I could have gone with 245:45-18 for even more comfortable ride as well as filling up wheel gap with higher sidewalks.

The best summer tires by far are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Fantastic in both dry and wet. They make runflats feel like old wooden wagon wheels.

With adaptive suspension the moderate Dinan springs and their shockware adaptive control software are a good idea. I wouldn't do a huge drop but moderate drop springs are perfect. Eibach springs are another choice.

Sounds like you know what to look for in terms of packages that came with the car. M Sport blue brakes would be a great idea. Upgrade to stainless steel brake brake lines. I'd upgrade up to Hawk 5.0 pads when you need new pads. OEM pads aren't good.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0